Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 20:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%
Question Question about LeCarb "Ice Cream"

I am confused and need help (not much news there :lol My DH likes to have his allowed treats on Atkins like some of the low carb bars, etc. I had seen several posts on LeCarb Frozen Dessert on here but hadn't been able to get it in my area. Well, I found it at my super Wal-Mart the other day and got the strawberry, vanilla and also the lemon flavor. He really liked it and was good about eating it...took 4 days to eat the pint of strawberry. I remember when a pint would have been one serving for me and it would have been the real stuff!

Anyway, I tasted the lemon and it IS good but I got to looking at the ingredients. The front of the container says it's sweetened with Splenda but the ingredients read: water, milkfat and nonfat milk,lemon cream base (SUGAR, eggs, water, butter (cream,salt) lemon juice, natural flavor, citric acid, fd&c yellow#5, glycerine, whey protein concentrate, egg whites, guar gum, mono & diglycerides, locust bean gum, polysorbate 80, pectin, Splenda, yellow no. 5.

The carb listing is: Total carbs 7g.
Fiber 0g
Sugars 5g.
Glycerine 2g.
I know you subtract the glycerine for 5 net carbs per serving (4 servings in a pint) so that would be 20 net carbs in the whole pint.

Finally to my question...is this Atkins allowed or is this just something people are eating anyway? Sugar is pretty high on the list of ingredients. I only noticed the Splenda emblem when I bought it (what I get for not looking closer!) I have avoided all the low carb bars and sugar free candies that some people eat because I don't want to start my sugar cravings again so I am especially concerned about real sugar. My DH seems to be able to cheat some and still lose with the sugar alcohol things but the real stuff might be a problem for him to. Anybody have any advice to offer? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links