Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 14:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Supersizing it supersized me

I have been thinking hard about the epedemic of obesity that Dr Atkins talks about which has finally made big news. I would like to blame the carbs, but I have been looking into it past my Atkins readings and really think thats its a combo of processed food and portion sizes. The portion sizes in the US have grown enormously since I was a kid-more soda equals more sugar. Most people have no idea what a 'regular' or recommended portion of something is. I will share with you a short article I came across today that explains how we have become supersized along with the products they push on us it opened my eyes and is something I will incorporate into my new way of eating:

Supersize Meals and Obesity
Portion Sizes Contribute to Health Crisis

by Rick Hall, MS, RD

Supersizes, value meals and meal deals. As consumer demand for value grows, the food industry has responded with the one thing guaranteed to meet customer expectations and boost sales: create bigger portions for less money.

I can easily remember when the first 32 ounce soft drinks were available in convenience stores. Now that was a big drink. It was over 2.5 cans of soda. Now how could anyone drink more soda than 32 ounces in any given day? The 44 ounce version soon followed, as did the 64 ounce mega-size (that's 5.3 cans of soda) cup. It wasn't hard to convince us that bigger was better. After all, promotional pricing creates better values for larger portions - and everyone loves a good deal.

Supersized portions are contributing more than we bargained for, suggests a new study published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association. Bigger portion sizes add significant calories to the American diet, and we are fatter than ever before.

Authors Lisa Young, PhD, RD and Marion Nestle, PhD compared 2002 portion sizes of commonly eaten ready-to-eat convenience foods with original portion sizes offered at the time foods were introduced. Marketplace portion sizes, according to the study, are 2-8 times bigger than serving sizes used by the FDA and USDA for meal planning guidance.

Serving size differences between the 2002 marketplace and the USDA Food Guide Pyramid:

* Bagel: chain store 3.9-5.0 oz / USDA 2.0 oz
* Roast beef sandwich filling: marketplace 3.9-7.9 oz / USDA 2.5 oz
* Cooked pasta: marketplace 2.6-3.3 cups / USDA 0.5 cup

Portion sizes have increased 2-5 times greater than the original size introduced:

* Hershey's chocolate bar: 0.6 oz in 1908 / 1.6 - 8.0 oz in 2002
* Burger King Hamburger sandwich: 3.9 oz in 1954 / 4.4-12.6 oz in 2002
* McDonald's soda: 7 fl oz in 1955 / 12-42 fl oz in 2002
* Coca Cola bottle: 6.5 fl oz in 1916 / 8-34 fl oz in 2002

In 2001, the Surgeon General announced a Call to Action for obesity prevention which stressed the importance of portion control. With the trend of serving sizes continuing to grow to meet consumer demand, it appears that the obesity crisis is here to stay - at least for awhile.

Source: Young LR, Nestle M. Expanding portion sizes in the US marketplace: Implications for nutrition counseling. J Am Diet Assoc. 2003;103:231-234.
Sponsored Links