Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 13:53
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins / Protein Power
Stats: 253/206/170 Female 5 foot 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%
Question Pregnancy - Ketosis - WHY NOT??

Why is ketosis bad for pregnancy?? I am hoping to start the longest thread on here and pick brains of all you mommas havin' bebes.

I currently have lost 33 pounds in the past 11 weeks on this wonderful WOE and after the next 30 pounds we are going to try and conceive our third and final baby.

Problem? I might be pregnant right now... lol (which is fine, we're ready)

Question? Why are 'ketones' bad for the baby??? I have read and read and read and read every single article, website, and post about pregnancy and ketosis.... the end result all I know is "Tsk tsk tsk.. stay out of ketosis... and up carbs so you're not spilling ketones...."

WHY???? NO ONE HAS SAID WHY??

Yes, I think I came across ONE study where some children were tested at kindergarten age and the ones whose mother's were in ketosis while carrying had lower test scores... in KINDERGARTEN!

This was not a low carb study, but rather a study on starvation.

Were these mothers following a HEALTHY low carb diet? NO
Were they in monitored ketosis on purpose? Probably not
Could they have been smoking crack and that's why they weren't eating right? Yes (it said nothing like that was controlled)

Are pregnant women that are NOT low carbing in ketosis OFTEN during pregnancy anyway?? YES, during morning sickness when they can't hold anything down. I'm sure they are.

And, then there's the Eskimos... I have read, too, that they are constantly in ketosis and using protein and fat for fuel because they have NO carbs where they are.... are Eskimoe babies brain damaged?? I should think not.

WHEW, can you tell I'm frustrated?? I just want someone to say "HEY, I was in ketosis and HERE"s what happened to my poor child" and then I won't even consider it, but no one is there to say that.

AAAARGH, please, help !

Thanks a ton,

Kitten

Last edited by KittenSynn : Wed, Aug-13-03 at 13:06.
Sponsored Links