Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 22:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Help! Friend having troubles with Atkins and Diabetes

Where should I start? (I'm worried).
I got my friend Linda excited about Atkins about 10 days ago and so she has been on it that long. She's been doing very well on it with her diet (she was SERIOUSLY carb addicted before). The only thing is: her blood sugar was through the roof tonight. I called her and she was groggy and sleeping and I told her to get her butt downstairs and check her blood - it was 264!!!
She was shocked.
Now for a little history in order to get some help from those of you that may know.
She told me that before Atkins, she is a diabetic who only takes her medicine when she knows she is about to HIGH CARB IT! I think the name of the medicine is Glucoside (or sounds like that) and I KNOW it is NOT glucophage. The pill is 10 mg and she says that when she took one about 5 days ago for high blood sugar, she bottomed out TOO LOW. I told her I would come here and ask you all, especially those of you that are or were diabetic because she doesn't have internet access at the moment.
I told her that the *logical* thing seemed to me that she should be taking a maintenance amount of the medicine - like 2.5 mg or something but that I had no way of knowing this.
I *think* she is also taking something called an ACE INHIBITOR (the only thing I know about this type of drug in her case, it helps protect her kidneys from damage from the diabetes).
I asked her about her diet and she is eating well and eating the right foods. She feels she is not eating too little, nor too much. She is also exercising - walking.
She has convinced herself that it must be some HIDDEN CARBS causing the high blood sugar but I do not think it is that at all. HELP GUYS!!! I'm worried about my friend and she is reluctant to see a doctor until her new insurance starts because of the cost. I'm thinking of telling her to get off induction and go to OWL because I'm worried about her.
By the way, she weighs over 300 lbs and is about 5' 10" (if that helps).
Any ideas?
Sponsored Links