Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 14:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/155/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Is it because of lack of calories or lack of carbs?

I am curious if anyone here has tried to limit carbs to 20 a day (Not strictly Atkins) and lost weight regardless of where the carbs came from?
20 carbs is 20 carbs, right?
In my case, I have lost my appitite. I'm lucky if I get 20 carbs a day in. I am working on that!
This diet has caused me to drastically cut my caloric intake. (Any diet will result in weight loss if calories are restricted.)
If a person needs 1800 calories a day to 'maintain' their current weight but, restricts the calorie intake to 1300 a day. The result is going to be one pound a week lost, more if exercise is included. It isn't going to matter where those 1300 calories came from. The final result will be negative one pound a week. (Even if a huge amount of Carbs were consumed during that week, as long as the calories did not go above 1300 a day).
I have lost 9 pounds on this diet and I use Fitday. Looking back on the past week. I have noticed I average around 1000-1100 calories a day. I can't eat more than that. I am NOT going hungry. I am wondering if that is why I have lost the weight.
I guess my main question is.... If I up my calories to the amount my body needs to maintain my current weight will I still lose weight because I have cut out the carbs?
I hope that there is proof out there.. someone who does just that and doesn't cut the calories along with the carbs. I understand that it could be a combination of both in the long run, and that is helping with weight loss. But I am rethinking my decision to be on this diet when sometimes I feel I could have the slice of bread and just stay at a certain amount of calories and still lose the weight.
Please help me see the light.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links