Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 11:44

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Exclamation cause for concern? BMOV and BASIC 3

I do research on every new thing I take before it goes in my body [im a slight hypochondriac] and found some interesting information on BMOV [a more potent form of vanadium.. found in BASIC 3]..

Quote:
What vanadium is able to do is enhance the effects of insulin to a very great extent with the result that in these individuals they are producing more insulin than the normal individual... vanadium decreases production of glucose by the liver, as does insulin. It stimulated glucose uptake into muscle and fat, and it increases glycogen deposition. And all of those things are insulin like effects... What vanadium does is it lowers glucose, lipids, and cholesterol. It also lowers the elevated insulin value... A dose of vanadyl sulfate is between 50-100 mg. There are some suggestions that if people could tolerate it, people could go even higher than that to get even better control. BMOV is more potent so the dose would be [25-75 mg]
Robert Crayhon's Interview with Dr. John McNeill (co inventor of BMOV)

There are no long term studies on its affects.. however the amount in Basic 3 is so minimal [40 mcg over the entire day].. is it a cause for concern? Should i take this if my sugar rarely goes over 70 or will it cause me to have bouts of hypoglycaemia? "there is a potential of producing hypoglycemia, particularly in someone using other medication" (im not). What about its interaction with chromium, magnesium and zinc? since they work in different ways to lower glucose.. couldnt this potentially cause severe bouts of hypoglycaemia? Or, since it is such a minimal amount, do i have a cause for concern? Dr Atkins obviously knew that BMOV has an 'appetite suppressant' effect and also the potential of it to help lower blood sugars.. along side that we have chromium which does the same..

There are also studies linking blood pressure and insulin metabolism.. the present studies show that some agents affecting the glucose/insulin system can lower BP [study found here] .. BMOV is one of those agents..my systolic is 105/ diastolic is 67 (most times it is closer to 60) is this a concern for me?

[more info]
[more info]
[The antineoplastic effects of vanadium]
[more info]

I know the majority of people here arent doctors (is anyone here?).. just asking for advice, not Rx

thank you in advance
Sponsored Links