Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-01, 12:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/252/200
BF:
Progress:
Default Starting Again

Hello,

In 1999, I did low-carb, and from June to October went from 280-220 lbs. So I know this WOE works for me. I was pretty happy with myself at 220, and from Oct to April of 2000 I didn't really stick with the diet, but I did try to eat sort of in-line with the lifestyle. With the exceptions of Christmas, and parties, etc...
In that 6 mo I only gained back about 5 lbs, which I thought was good, I could just re-do low-carb and maybe lose a few more. But at that time I left my nice stationary desk job, and got a job in the oil-field. I was on-call all of the time, highway drove anywhere from 4 to 8 hours a day, and living in various motel rooms from night to night, with a rare trip home to see my dogs.
In my nice desk job, I was drinking 3 litres of water a day, it was no problem to leave my desk 5-6 times a day and use the facilities. With the new job, it was impractical to take all of those stops, and when I am actually working rather than driving, it is >very< impractical. So water consumption was the first thing I waved goodbye to. For about 2 weeks, I was in a larger centre, living in a motel room, with a fridge and microwave, and although my menu was very limited, I was sort of able to stick with a low-carb lifestyle. But then with further travelling, no chance to stop anywhere and eat during the day, and staying in little towns at night with maybe one restaurant or none open late enough to feed me, my only choices were rushed meals, from gas stations, occasionally fast food, etc. In short (finally) I gave up trying to maintain any WOE.
Now it is over a year, I am back up to 265, (still lower than where I started though!) and I am tired of it all again. My situation hasn't changed all that much. Although I am spending considerably more time at home, and try to eat properly there, that lasts for a week or so, and then I can be called and have to drop everything and go for a few days.
Yesterday, I decided to stop with the excuses, and somehow try to make low-carb work again. I >like< low-carb. I enjoyed eating that way, and I know it works for me. So I tried to find a local support group, and an hour or so of Internet searches has not found me any, so maybe I'll try this online group. I would gladly welcome any advice anybody may have to contribute that would help me stick with this in my sort of unpredictable lifestyle.
I gave serious consideration yesterday to taking a couple weeks off and doing liposuction. Yech.
Anyway, this has turned into an endless ramble, and I apologize.

I'm Sean, 6', and 265 lbs. Please help.
Sponsored Links