Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 18:33

Plan: Schwartzbein Principle
Stats: 225/185/165
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default SPII confused me--help! (a bit long...)

Hi everyone: I'm new to this forum but was excited to find one for Schwartzbein followers. I started out on Protein Power several years ago and lost about 20 pounds... then went on maintenence. Not because I was done losing weight but because I had no energy to keep going full-steam. That first introduction to the idea that carbs were addicting and that I could actually control the gross, fuzzy-brain, lethargic feeling I would get after eating refined food was totally liberating. I gave up sodas and refined bready, sugary things and haven't gone back (except once in awhile). Yay!

Then in 2000, I went up Dr. Christiane Northrup's womens' health clinic (Womens Bodies Womens Wisdom -- great book that changed how I thought of many things!) and they recommended Schwartzbein as a way to balance my hormones (very irregular menstruation). I lost 20 more pounds last year. Again... I had a rough on/off time getting started on the 15 grams of carbs /meal, then something clicked and I was strict. After my intermediate goal of 20 pounds was met, I went on maintence and have kept it off by just eating healthfully and avoiding as much refined stuff as I can. Oh, during that 20 pound phase, I also started regular excercise and kind of liked it for the first time.

I want to lose 20 more pounds to get to goal and just read Schwartzbein II ... and now I feel lost. I think I'm an insulin sensitive and adrenal sensitive... at least I thought I was until I read that those people should eat 30 to 35 grams/meal, plus snacks. Huh? That's pretty much maintenence right? I don't think I'd lose a thing eating that so did I mis-categorize myself? I can go back to the 15g. per meal but the SPII really confused things and now I'm not sure that would be healthy for me. Any suggestions? (Sorry this is so long... I'll keep it shorter in future messages

Last edited by orkneyinga : Sun, May-04-03 at 18:51.
Sponsored Links