Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 01:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/230/145
BF:??
Progress: 0%
Default Potential Newbie :) Book Recommendations?

Hello,

I stumbled across this forum when I was doing some research on the Atkins diet plan. I have heard many good things about it, and some bad things as well. Some people I know are on it and have lost weight, so I am thinking of starting the plan. I was impressed by many of the before and after photos of some of the success stories Congrats to all of you ..

Currently, I weigh about 230 pounds I don't seem to gain weight, and I don't seem to lose weight.. I eat fairly healthy and I don't overeat much.. I guess my main problem is that I don't excercise much and I do eat lots of carbs. I do not eat red meat or fish, and I love veggies and fruits (mostly berries and apples). I also love yogourt and cheese..

So, my first question is, if my diet now consists mainly of chicken, turkey, shrimp, veggies, berries, yogourt and cheese, can I be successful at this plan? I can't stand mayo or butter and I rarely use oil. Are these things manditory to eat?? The thought of eating really high fatty foods doesn't sit with me that well, but I am willing to increase my daily intake a bit...Will I have to begin eating red meats?

Also, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book for me to start off with? I know there are many Atkins books, but I'm not sure which one to get! lol ... I would like one that explains the diet and what I can and cannot eat, what veggies and fruits are good, and which also provides info on how low carbs and high fats effect the body...

One more question :P Does the Atkins diet elminite bread entirely?? Or do people on this diet occassionally have bread? Is there something available that can replace bread? Like, if I want a peanut butter sandwich, what can I put the peanut butter on?

Thanks for any help / advise you can give me!

take care,

elyssa
Sponsored Links