Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-24, 13:30
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 290/192/175 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Combining Keto with Low-Dose Statins: The Best of Both Worlds?

I've always been a big fan of Dave Feldman's research, especially his efforts to challenge traditional views on LDL. After years of following a successful keto lifestyle, I fell off track for a bit, gained weight, and now I'm back to keto and on my way to a healthier weight.

However, my perspective on the research has shifted. I used to be part of the group that dismissed the dangers of high LDL, influenced by the "cholesterol is not bad" and "statin scam" narratives. But recently, the work of Peter Attia and Dr. Thomas Dayspring has made me rethink this stance.

Peter Attia pointed out something crucial: while the food pyramid was indeed bad science, this doesn’t invalidate the robust body of research on LDL and ApoB. The evidence supporting the role of LDL in heart disease is much stronger and more extensive than the flawed nutritional guidelines. Peter also argues that the research showing minimal benefit from statins is often viewed in the wrong context and that the actual benefits of statins are far greater than many claims.

Peter Attia, who supports low-carb diets and even followed keto for years, doesn't show confirmation bias. He provides a balanced view, acknowledging the benefits of reducing carbs while stressing the importance of managing LDL levels. After listening to his arguments, I felt that Feldman, though insightful, might be out of his league in some aspects, especially when considering the wealth of research backing LDL concerns.

Given that my LDL remains high despite being on keto, I'm considering combining keto with low-dose statins. The potential side effects of statins are concerning, but the risks associated with high ApoB might be even greater. Both Attia and Dayspring argue that even extremely low LDL isn't problematic, and our bodies produce plenty of cholesterol independent of the liver.

So, why not aim for the best of both worlds? By staying on keto for its numerous benefits and taking a low-dose statin to manage ApoB (when its high), we might strike the ideal balance. It’s a compromise, but in a field with no absolute certainties, it seems like a reasonable approach to me.

I’d love to hear your thoughts and experiences with combining keto and statins. Has anyone else tried this approach?

Also, I found a discussion between Dave Feldman and Peter Attia really enlightening, and it helped shape my current views. Even though Feldman has now done some research on his hypothesis, it seems extremely limited, especially in context to the 50 years of research that came before it. If you're interested, here's the link: https://peterattiamd.com/davefeldma...oicPiDQsKFGCsEw
Sponsored Links