Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 22:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Talking Psyllium

Is there such a thing as too much Psyllium?

I "needed" it, so I bought some and took two 500 mg capsules on Wednesday, two today and so far nothing.

Am I missing something? Just keep on keeping on? Can I take Psyllium EVERY day? Maybe I'll move to 3 caps a day like the bottle says I can.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 22:40

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

I take my psyllium every day! It may take a few days for it to take effect, but it will, and you'll know it lol. Be sure to drink lots of water
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 22:44

Plan: The Metabolic Diet
Stats: 155/149/125 Female 5'7
BF:25/22/16
Progress: 20%

I take 2 spoons in a large glass of water twice per day. If I don't do that even before I started atkins I would be in trouble!! I used to eat alot of bran cereal, and that helped keep me regular. BUt now that I started atkins and in induction I can't have the bran cereal so I take the husks in water. Don't worry about taking too much, just make sure YOU DRINK ALOT OF WATER.. or u may block yourself up ! be well

Piera
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 22:45
Registered Member

Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

what is it?

Gail
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 06:07
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

The Psyllium Seed Husk Capsules (500 mg), the directions tell you to take it 3 times a day. Assuming what you are taking it for, I would follow the directions. I have only started using 2 days ago, starting the third day today. But nothing led me to believe that 3 times a day was to much. I think if it was to much, the signs would have be obvious. Anyway, to ease you mind, eventually it did do what it was suppose to do.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 07:50

Default hi gail

Gail

psyllium is a plant fiber that is sold in natural food stores. Its all fiber so you won't digest any calories from it. They use it to make metamucil too!! BUt its cheaper to buy it in bulk at the health food store. If you buy it loose in a bag you'll have to mix it with alot of water usually 1 tsp to 1 -2 glasses of water. then drink more water after you've taken the mix. YOU must drink alot of water. The husks absorb alot of water and u don't want it blocking your intestianl tract. You can also buy the husks in capsules but its way more expensive. Let me know what you think!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 08:28

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Talking

Thank you for your replies!!

MaryToU, it work in those 2 days? Good. I'll give it some time before I worry!!

Again thank you all. I'll stick to the 3 a day and wait for the "magic" to happen.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 12:45
Registered Member

Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

Mac, what is it used for? I have a condition called nutcracker esophogus (sp) anyho I can't take metamucil becuase it could expand in my throat and choak me to death...but is this used for the same thing...? Are there other benefits?

Gail
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 13:27

GAil the husks are the same thing as Metamucil. Its not indicated for people that have your condition. So unfortunately you'll have to stay far away from it. It can cause what u described in individuals taht are suscetible. Stick with getting enough fiber from veggies, drinking a ton of water and eventually when your in OWL after induction try having the flax o meal hot cereal. Its loaded with flax fiber that won't harm you. Also whats worked for me is Salmon oil caps! Hope this helps

Piera
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 13:50
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Yes!

Too much psillium and too little water will just make a brick in your intestines. Use if only in small amounts; increasing if you feel the need. And increase water proportionally. I had to use psillium for a short time when I started Atkins, but the need quickly dimished. If you find yourself in need, consider also stool softener. It works quite well if you are drinking enough water.

Good Luck!