Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 12:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%
Question How fast do the inches come off?

I intended to measure myself before I started induction (19 days ago) but I didn't get around to it. I finally broke out the tape measure last night and was very discouraged. I'm bigger than I thought I was! I don't even want to KNOW what the measurements were before I started! Just wondering on average how much I should see coming off on the measurements.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 13:08

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

hey there. i have been on induction since 1-21-03 approx. 5 weeks i did not measure the first week but did on the second week. since the second week my measurements did not change until this last week (i mean i could feel that inches were shrinking, clothes looser etc but it wasnt showing on the tape measure) now i am seeing a couple of inches lost here an inch there. so it is happening it seems the inches take longer to notice when measuring, might be water or something.

but i would not change a thing i have lost 19 lbs in 5 weeks cant ask for better results and there is no way in hell i am stopping this diet.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 13:12
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default Just an opinion blatla

I was filled with self hate when I first started dieting and it is very sad because I have very few pictures of what I really looked like and I was unable to even really look in a mirror to see the changes I made in myself.

It took me a long time to realize that I was still me and I did exist at that time. I wasted years of my life not acknowledging that I was a worthwhile and beautiful person.

I hope you can get it together to take your measurements. Because you have so little to go and if you feel so bad about yourself now... you have issues that have nothing to do with weight.

All the best to you.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 13:14

Stats: 272/262/200 Male 6 feet 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 14%

I didn't measure myself for the first two months (30lbs.), but I did start measuring around christmas. I measure my gut, hips, thigh, and chest. I used to measure every thursday, but I find it more rewarding to do it every other week. I have never not lost inches (or atleast 1/2 inches) and I have found it to be very incouraging. Some weeks when I would only lose a pound I would find that I still lost an inch of my gut.

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 13:20

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I did not measure until 4 weeks into this WOE and at that time lost about 1/2 to 2 inches in all the major areas (bust, waist, tummy, hips, thighs). At that point I was down around 11-12 lbs.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 13:36

Stats: 160/151/135
BF:
Progress: 36%
Talking Lost inches

I think keeping measurments is the key, when you don't have much to lose, like you, the inches might be the very thing that keeps you going
I measure every week, and if it wasn't for that, I'd be so sad everyday, as the actual pounds are coming off VERY slow. I have only lost about 6 pounds and been on this for 25 days, however I have lost a total of 13 inches. You might want to keep measuring for a couple of weeks and see for yourself what works best.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 13:41

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

I still haven't measured myself, but size 14 is too big for me now and I can fit into some of my size 12. I'm going on week 5 of induction tomorrow and have lost 16 pounds so far! Yippee!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 14:18

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Gotta put my plug in for measuring. In the past month or so I have seen no change in the scale, besides normal fluctuations. Nada... zip. But during the past month, I have been workin my butt off at the gym, a good solid schedule of weight training, cardio, with some yoga thrown in.

Anywho... I happened to have measured just a week before joining the gym and when I found those old measurements and compared them to my most recent, I was SHOCKED. If you're working out and building muscle, measurements (and keeping track of body fat) are really key.

Start of Atkins: (10/02/02)
Weight- 160
Bust- 38
Waist- 33
Hips- 42

One week before joined the gym: (01/23/03)
Weight- 140
Bust- 37
Waist- 30
Hips- 39

Today: (02/22/03)
Weight- 140
Bust- 36
Waist- 27
Hips- 37

I'm not too shy to share.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 14:32

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Wow, Angela! Three inches off your waist in one month?! That's fantastic! My measurements are pretty close to your January figures (36/30/39) so that gives me some hope. I started working out this week, too (Tae-Bo Videos...and I've ordered The FIRM set) and I'm hoping to tone up a little along the way! I think I'll start measuring once a week to track it.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 14:51

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi, Angela... I've just started with measurements, but I'm not exactly sure how to measure my waist. I have sort of an hour-glass happening, and I'm not sure if I should be measuring where the curves meet (does this even make sense .. hehhe) , or around my belly?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 18:35
Registered Member

Stats: 237/196/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

I didn't measure myself until I had dropped 45 pounds and needed to order a pile of new clothes from a catalog!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 19:19

Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally posted by Crimson
Hi, Angela... I've just started with measurements, but I'm not exactly sure how to measure my waist. I have sort of an hour-glass happening, and I'm not sure if I should be measuring where the curves meet (does this even make sense .. hehhe) , or around my belly?

Rose,
I have a similar figure and I try to measure where the curves meet (like the middle part of an hourglass). It usually is near my belly button. When I measure my hips, that usually includes my belly

-Cait
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 19:43

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I think it's good to measure all over. I actually have "abdomen" measurements too that I didn't post. So, in short, if I were you, I'd measure my waist (where the curves meet, the smallest part) AND your chirby little tummy.

I want the middle measurement (between hips and waist) so I can tell when my little love handles diminish. I also have a "butt" measurement... a bit below the hips around my tush.

This is all getting VERY personal.

Good luck with measuring. It's working for me... I'm not concerned about that scale at all.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 21:22

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%

Thanx, girls! Then I've been doing it right!

Angela... I think I'll start measuring all over too. It can't hurt! (but it'll be my little secret )