Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 15:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, CKD
Stats: 190/155/145
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default Any Runners? And what's your carb intake

I run like 4 miles - 4.5 miles a day in 35-40 minutes at the gym.
sometimes run 3.5 miles

I do this 6 days a week.

Eating 20-25 Carbs

Today my legs feel so sore and I'm kinda limping cause my muscles are hurting.. I ran 4.5 miles yesterday morning.

I wonder if i need to intake more carbs
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 15:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/222/140 Female 5'10"
BF:no clue. too much
Progress: 16%

when did you start running? I want to be a runner, but it's so hard. I can't even jog around the block without being terribly out of breath and getting cramps in my side. How did you overcome that?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 15:45

Stats: 235/195/190
BF:??%/15.9%/<10%
Progress: 89%
Default runners group

Hello-
There are currently two threads going strong on this subject. One in the general exercise forum and the other in the BFL forum. They are both basicly the same people and the BFL one seems more active. Don't let the "Marathon" word scare you.

As for the carb level I am not sure about that just yet. I am slowly building myself back into running shape so it's hard to say. There is a woman running long distances LC and she says she feels fine. I think it is one of those "every person varies" kind of things. I'm running two or three miles at +- 7:30 pace and I feel good. I do eat a lot of salads and I think that definatly helps. Also I would consider other causes for being fatagued. Are you doing any weight training? If so You may have been tired from that.

Come on over to the other thread and see what other runners are doing.

Glad to meet you,
Shane
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 15:51

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Wesley,

I run about 35 – 40 minutes a day as well, and suffer from exactly what you’ve described. I’ve noticed that I can’t run more than 5 days in succession without resting a day or two before running again. On the 5th day, my legs feel sore, sluggish, and my muscles are screaming for rest. This didn’t happen before I started limiting my carbs; but, it has been getting better. The absolute worst was running during Induction—that was excruciatingly painful.

I’m trying to adhere as best I can to the Atkins plan, which recommends raising carbs by increments of 5/day after getting used to 20/day. I’ve improvised. Since for me, I knew it was neither possible nor practical to do my daily runs—even at a slower pace—with 25 grams per day. What I’ve done is raise it to about 40 – 50 net carbs per day, which has helped; however, I still get quite sore after running 3 or 4 days in succession.

In my view, 20 – 25 carbs is simply too low for the length that you’re running. I think an addition 10 or even 20 carbs per day will make it more comfortable, especially during the last 5 or 10 minutes of your runs. At least, that’s been my experience so far.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 16:33
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Running

Are you taking extra potassium? With all the water that flows through us, extreme exercise such as yours can increase the potassium loss even more. That effect can cause the weakness and soreness that you mentioned.

As a past extreme athlete I can advise that you do rest at least one day a week from running and vigorous exercise.

Good Luck!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 17:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, CKD
Stats: 190/155/145
BF:
Progress: 78%

I am not sure If a multivitamin has enough potassium.

I take 1 multivitamin
Whey protein
L-Glutamine
Flax Seed oil capsules

On top of my 6 days of running I also do 2-3 sets of weight training on each machine.

I'm off induction and have upped my carbs to about 25-35 Net Carbs

I been running for 1.5 years now ... I use to start very slow
at 4.0mph nowadays I run at 7.2mph
My running has increased over time with my weight going down.. The less I got on my abs the stronger I ran.

As for the other forums I have checked them out and YES I AM SCARED OF THE WORD MARATHON. When I hear ppl running marathons and stuff I walk away from those threads

I am just wanting to run to keep in tip top shape...

I'm trying my best to also Adjust to Atkins Diet through low carbing...