Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 10:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/190/150
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default A goodmorning to all!

I am brand new to your site. Used to be on the Atkins diet for 2 years and I felt much better. I lost fat but not much weight due probably to the liquid creamer I use in my coffee. I just could not give up coffee and the International vanilla creamer. It was the only thing that made me not feel deprived.

I am hoping to get some tips on what I can eat that is very filling and may help with my coffee adiction. Also am hooked on Diet Pepsi. I know, I know, it is not good. I welcome suggestions on what to substitute for these non-foods.

A big hello to all of you! I am beginning my Atkins type diet today.
I hope I can stay on it and loose 40 pounds.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 17:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello and welcome! Shhh, don't tell anyone, but I'm a Diet Pepsi addict, too. I've managed to get myself down to a couple of cans per day now, down from two cases a week. I've also started buying diet Crush, which has Splenda instead of aspartame. Every time I try to increase my plain water intake, the effort doesn't last long. I hate water.

Y'know, you could probably make perfectly good vanilla coffee without that oily creamer stuff - just use plain cream, splenda, and vanilla extract.

If you're looking to give up your caffeine addiction, or at least lessen it, start mixing your 'high octane' with decaf and start buying caffeine free diet pepsi. Don't go cold turkey; your head will feel like it's going to explode.

Best of luck!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 00:39

BF:

Thanks, Kristine. Happy to know I am not alone...love that Pepsi. You gave me some good tips too on the coffee creamer.

So I have another question. My Atkins book is in storage and we are iced in right now...Alaska. Could anyone give me the general induction diet...very general is fine . I can wing it from there.

I love your avatar, Kristine. I noticed it earlier and thought of 'stealing' it...but I didn't. Morticia is the bomb. What a neat picture.

Pigging out on Hot Tamales (the cinnamon candy) tonight but tomorrow is my starting day.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 01:04

BF:

Found the 'Saga of Ruth's Reduction' with induction recipes. I will try these til I can get a book.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 01:45
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

If you go to the Atkins web site, you should find informatin on induction. The basics are: 3 cups of vegetables a day, incorporate lots of fat in your diet (olive oil, butter, etc.), eat at least every six hours (when you are awake), and avoid most foods with any carbohydrates above a minimal level. Things like nuts, cottage cheese, and berries are permitted during ongoing weight loss, but not during induction. If you stick to lowcarb vegetables, meat, fish, poultry, eggs, and cheese (less than 4 ounces of hard cheese a day), you should be fine. Stay away from products with aspartame (such as diet Coke). Don't skip the vegetables -- they are very important for your health. Eat until you are full, but not stuffed.

My own personal tip is -- do not eat after dinner. That seems to be key for many people when trying to lose weight. Eat enough at dinner so you will not get hungry again in the evening.

Last edited by liz175 : Tue, Feb-11-03 at 01:47.