Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 23:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/189/170
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Atkins food catalog - anyone?

Did anyone else get their atkins catalog in the mail?

The food looks pretty darn tasty in there. I might have to try some. I'll write out my shopping list and post some taste results in a few weeks after I get em.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 07:09
Registered Member

Stats: 248/227/140 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%
Hi - I got the catalog last week. Yes, the food looks pretty tasty, but also pretty expensive! I have been buying the ready-made shakes at WalMart (about $7.00 for four - still pretty high). The bars are gross - every one I tried I took a bite & threw it out. Looks like if we want convenience, it's going to cost!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 08:15

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%

as much respect as I have for the good doctor, I have to wonder why his products are so darned expensive. Greed? Maybe.
I am surprised he hasn't started marketing ground up pork rinds!

There are a lot of brands that are better and cost less.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 08:43
Registered Member

BF:

Have you found an inexpensive shake powder? All the ones I have seen are very expensive. And like I said - forget those bars. Yeccch.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 10:14

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Atkins

The only thing I buy from the Atkins line is supplements and Mufin mixes. But both of those I get through Netrition.com or Vitaglo.

Last time I order Atkins vitamins from Vitaglo, I saved so much money over buying direct. I got better, cheaper service. too.

GNC has some Atkins products available...

Donald
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 10:20

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Atkins $$$$$$

P.S. If you think Atkins shakes are expensive... check out their home delivery plan...

http://www.atkinsathome.com/

Donald
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 10:46

Stats: 205/189/170
BF:

defiantely looks expensive but people are saying good things about the muffin mix so I think I'll give that a try. Maybe that frying batter as well. I've tried the bars and they are definately terrible.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 11:04
Registered Member

Stats: 292/273/190
BF:

BetsyJane:

If you are looking for a shake try the EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes. They are available at Wal-Mart and if I remember correctly were under $6 for a four-pack. Of course this is in Florida so not sure how that compares in price to upstate NY.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 11:44
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the info on the shakes. How do they compare to Atkins for carb counts? I am going to WalMart tonight, so I will be looking for them.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 13:38
Registered Member

Stats: 292/273/190
BF:

Here is the information from their site. Teri noted in another thread about these having about 10g of carb from Sugar alcohols, specifically Fructooligosaccharide in this instance. From what I understand some people have problems when comsuming these and others don't. A YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) situation.

Supplement Facts
Serving size 1 container (11 oz)

Amount Per Serving
Calories 110
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Total Carbohydrates 2 g
Sodium 260 mg
Potassium 380 mg
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Protein 15 g

Ingredients:
Filtered water, whey protein concentrate specifically filtered and ion-exchanged whey protein isolate, milk protein isolate, calcium caseinate, high oleic sunflower oil, vitamin and mineral blend (magnesium citrate, potassium citrate, sodium citrate, sodium asorbate, Vitamin A palmitate, beta-carotene, cholecalfiferol, dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate, niacinamide, zinc gluconate, thiamin hydrochloride, folic acid biotin, chromium chloride, potassium iodide, phytonadione, sodium molybdate, sodium selenite and cyanocobatamin), natural and artificial flavors, fructoligosaccharide, soy extract cellulose, gel cellulose gum, xanthan gum, sodium hexametaphosphate, maltodextrin, carageenan, dextrose, potato starch, and sucralose. Note: Fructooligosaccharide is included in the total calorie count but is not included as carbohydrate.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 23:02

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:

If you want Atkins products, you may want to check out your grocery store. In Florida we have three magor grocery chains, Winn Dixie, Albertsons and Publix. I have found shakes and bars at all three. Publix carries the blueberry and the cranberry muffin mixes as well as supplements, bake mix, pancake syrup and shake mixes.

Also, I have noticed a huge increase in Atkin's products and other LC products at my local health food stores. I can't believe the increase in products over the past 8 months. You can tell that Lc'ing is really catching on and the retailers are starting to take notice! Yay!