Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 06:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/224/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default grandson

Good morning, have a question for you, both my daughters and i are low-carbers. My grandson is overweight and ten years old.....he sees our success and asked his mom if he can go on her plan. he is now 18 lbs over weight is quite active and plays hockey in a league. I think we are eating healthier than ever and would like to have your take on allowing Mark to go ahead . He is already become quite knowledgeable and last nite at dinner was asking a lot of questions like can i eat that or is that ok.....what do you think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 07:07
Registered Member

Plan: dr. atkins
Stats: 255/240/150
BF:
Progress: 14%

I'm no expert, but cutting out the junk food couldn't hurt. He could eat a little more veggies than what is on the induction and throw in a fruit once in a while. If he just stopped the sugar he would probably lose the excess weight. I know I didn't realize how much sugar was in prepared food until I started this.

I say why not let him try a variation of the WOE. If he is active the weight should come off pretty easily. Just my 2cents. Dianne
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 07:49

Stats: 272/262/200 Male 6 feet 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default kids LCing

My little sister (11) basically went on a LC WOL on her own last spring and she looks like a completely different person. She is a competitive Irish step dancer and she continues to LC ( she's trying to maintain) and she looks and feels better about her self in a long time.

I'm no medical expert, but I would incourage him to LC 100%.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 09:39

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:

Here are some links for LC & kids - some are already on this website:

http://www.lowcarber.org/articles/article122.html

Here are some books:
I think the author of the first book used to be an ATkins Centre Doctor.
"Feed Your Kids Well: How to Help Your Child Lose Weight and Get Healthy" by Fred Pescatore, Robert Atkins (Introduction), 1998. Hardcover edition published by John Wiley & Sons; ISBN: 047124855X

"Carbohydrate-Addicted Kids: Help Your Child or Teen Break Free of Junk Food and Sugar Cravings-For Life!" by Rachael F. Heller, Richard Ferdinand Heller, 1998. Paperback edition published by HarperCollins; ISBN: 0060929502 Try this CAD/CALP website: http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/index.html

"G/O Diet Jr." by Jack M. Goldberg, Ph.D. and Karen O'Mara, D.O., 1999, paperback edition published by Go Corp. ISBN 0967084601
http://www.go-diet.com

Hope this helps.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 09:52

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

You could also go to www.atkinscenter.com and ask for their opinion - they do answer your questions.

Vikki
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 10:50
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

I think it's a great thing to teac young children to learn to eat healthy, keep consistent patterns and to teach them about what foods to avoid.

My only concern is that you do NOT refer to his eating habits in any way as a "diet" or something that he "needs" to do in order to lose weight. I would just refer to it as a family effort to keep ourselves more healthy so we can all be more active and happier. Slimming down is a bonus!

Little kids pick up on that stuff without letting on, and that little seed stays in there as they grow into obese adults because they were "dieting" since age 10. Make it fun...loosen it a little when he wants to...emphasize how your bodies are becoming healthy....

You're a great grandma!

#7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 05:55
Registered Member

Stats: 245/224/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Default thank you

Thank you all, we have read every word and feel confident that we wont be doing him any harm. He seems to be happy with the idea too.