Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 13:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 330/330/180 Male 5'6
BF:
Progress:

Thank you for responding Citruskiss. Yes and another reason I edited it out was because I figured this forum was a place mainly for practicle advice about the diet and not about emotional issues, so I'll deal with that in a different way from now on.

I wasn't offended that not everybody agreed with me about diet pills, because they have good reason to not trust them with the ephedra ban, and phen phen. I'm not going to go on a low carb diet, because it would just be too hard for me since I live with other people that don't follow this diet, and I'm not the one who prepares the food. You have a good weekend also.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 15:37

Plan: Atkins' OWL
Stats: 294/237.6/149 Female 5'8"
BF:oodles
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCNewbie44
I figured this forum was a place mainly for practicle advice about the diet and not about emotional issues, so I'll deal with that in a different way from now on.

Actually, there are forums here specifically for the emotional aspects of the weight issue. Many of us are carrying around steamer trunks full of baggage, and need a place to discuss it with others who truly empathize. If you decide to move on from this forum completely, though, all the best to you.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, May-08-06, 14:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Starting M&E
Stats: 155/135/125 Female 5'1"
BF:too much!
Progress: 67%

What do you think about Relacore. It sounds good but I am weary of trying something that is going to affect my 'mood'?!?!? Has anyone found anything that they think actually worked?
  #34   ^
Old Tue, May-09-06, 12:33

Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneDough
Actually, there are forums here specifically for the emotional aspects of the weight issue. Many of us are carrying around steamer trunks full of baggage, and need a place to discuss it with others who truly empathize. If you decide to move on from this forum completely, though, all the best to you.

I read a book called Love Hunger years ago that helped me with my compulsive eating disorder. I think it's still in print. You have to deal with the problems causing it and face them or they will just continue to get worse. Sometimes people eat to suppress (or stuff down) emotions and keep them from surfacing. I think you really should give Atkins a try along with self-help. Once you get the hunger under control, you can really deal with those issues.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, May-09-06, 14:00

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzyanna
I read a book called Love Hunger years ago that helped me with my compulsive eating disorder. I think it's still in print. You have to deal with the problems causing it and face them or they will just continue to get worse. Sometimes people eat to suppress (or stuff down) emotions and keep them from surfacing. I think you really should give Atkins a try along with self-help. Once you get the hunger under control, you can really deal with those issues.

Agreed!

For me it was very much a battle of the mind more than a can I do this diet/will this diet work for me type of thing.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, May-09-06, 19:19

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am a compulsive overeater/binger also. I have tried every diet out there and lost the same 25 lbs tons of times..but could never get past that point till i found low carbing back in 2003. The first 10 days are horrible. The carb and sugar withdrawals are sooo bad you may as well lock yourself in your room for 10 days. But think about this. We are addicts. A heroin addict or alcoholic ALSO must go through detox when quitting their drug of choice! I PROMISE you if you do a strict 2 week induction before it is over your cravings will stop and you will start feeling normal. As far as i am concerned low carb eating IS my diet pill! It IS my appetite suppressant! I have just made it 11 weeks without cheating..thats a TRUE miracle for a food addict! Its not willpower that got me here..its keeping the offending substances of sugar and refined carbs out of my body! When i first did atkins back in 2003 i lost 81 lbs...that too is unbelievable after 18 yrs of yo yo dieting and never being able to lose more than 25 lbs. I stopped the WOE last time because i found out i was pregnant and didnt have enough information to know if it was safe for my baby. Now i know i could have went to maintenance levels..but i didnt. Anyways i have been back on Atkins since Feb 22, 2006 and have lost 27 lbs so far, no cheating..not a speck of sugar or flour. I know you feel like "oh no..i cant do another diet!" Trust me..i felt the same way. It was when i stopped looking at it as a diet and acknowledged that refined carbs and sugar are POISON to me..they are my DRUG..and i dont want to BE a drug addict anymore..thats when i was able to DO THIS! Yes, the first 7-10 days are HARD..detox SUCKS!! But after its over..you have your life back! I highly urge you to reconsider getting your drug out of your system and stop the addiction! you CAN do it. If i can..anyone can!
  #37   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 09:11
Registered Member

Stats: 263/238.5/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Ok, I've read every post here...I have been on and off Atkins since 2001...I was successful in the beginning but seem to sabotage myself every time. Because of that my doctor put me on Meridia this time. She is monitoring the meds and hopes it helps me stay on track. I did not go to her and ask for the meds, she has been tracking my weight gains/losses over the years and approached me at my last physical...she stated she wanted me back on a low carb diet prescribed metformin and meridia. I've only been taking it since the 6th, but I must say it helps me in the evenings...I do not see much of a change in the day (but I don't tend to overeat during the day) so the additional help at home in front of the TV is so appreciated. I hope it helps...I agree that lc does suppress your appetite very well, and I am not resistant to that...I know that in a few more days I will have to remind myself to eat during the day...it is just at night that I seem to do so poorly...that kills me every time I try to lose weight.

Gail
  #38   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 09:13
Registered Member

Stats: 263/238.5/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Sorry for posting twice, but because of this vine I have visited the oa.org site and have found online meetings that I will take part in...if you are not able to do face to face oa maybe online groups would be better for you.

Gail
  #39   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 09:31

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 192/138/125 Female 5 FEET 3 INCHES
BF:I/Don't/Know
Progress: 81%

Hey,

I just wanted to say that weight issues are emotional issues. I think a huge part of the depression epidemic is weight related. I know you feel alone and yes...sometimes pathetic. I too have a stomache like a grocery sack. I won't recommend pills etc. because after a doctor's physical, you have to wrap your head around doing this. If after a year you need a little extra help, try some supplements. In the mean time, don't be too hard on yourself. If you make a mistake, dust off and start again.

You can do this and nobody...especially us expects perfection.

Good Luck on your journey...we're here for ya!

P.S. Don't ever be embarrassed about needing some help

Leanna