Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 15:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/195/150
BF:39%
Progress: 21%
Default Am I expecting too much?

I am wondering if my expectations are too high being on this diet. Why do I feel like I should have lost more? Too hyper...need more time?

I have completed my 2 week induction and have decided to stay on induction until I lose more weight. I don't really know what I weighed when I started Atkins, I was afraid to look (grin). The only record I have of my beginning weight is from my records at my gym June 21st. My starting weight was 207.

I started Atkins on October 5th and today I weight 195. What really freaks me out is that my measurements haven't dropped AT ALL based on my original records from the gym...My measurements are the same but MY SHORTS are falling off my body... I don't know if I am stalling or just expecting too much...sorry so redundant Or if the girl who measured me failed math?

Here's what I have been doing:
• I have been in ketosis for over 2 weeks
• I work out 30 mins on the treadmill, 25 min weight training on Cybex equip.
• I have faithfully kept my carbs down to 20g, sometimes I can't eat all 20
• The only sugar I get comes from Splenda, and I have 3 a day
• I do have 2 cups of coffee in the am
• I write all my meals down and plan them throughout the week
• I drink over 160 ounces of water daily
• Oh yeah, I do have hypothyroidism, I take Synthroid .50mg a day
• I go to bed early...sleep well, too.

I also survived a challenging weekend. My son's birthday was this past weekend and I avoided CAKE without really giving a darn. I did have a hard time, however, staying on schedule eating, though. For example, I usually eat a 7am, 12pm, 7pm...but this weekend I had five 11 year old boys running around my house and I couldn't seem to eat on time....I had dinner at 10:00 p.m. Saturday night....Sunday, I had lunch at 3:30p.m. I did go several hours without eating this weekend...could this cause a stall?

I just don't want to get discourged... what am I saying I am discouraged. I need some wisdom from an experienced LC'r. What are your thoughts?

Thank you so much!!!!
Kim

Last edited by kimward34 : Mon, Oct-21-02 at 15:56.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 16:19

Plan: Atkins-Restarted
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 ' 3 "
BF:
Progress: 29%

Kim -

My opinion, 12 lbs in 2 weeks is great!! I wish I had that much success to start off with. I think the rule of thumb is : you should loss about 10% of the amount of weight that you want to lose in the first 2 weeks, then lose 5% for each month after. So according to my math, you lost 20% during the first two weeks - so you should be very proud of yourself!

But you can find lots of info on this if you look around the forum. I am new to this WOL and still learning....

Try to concentrate on how good you feel and realize that is will take time to get to your final goal... but you have the support of the whole forum to help you...that's why we are all here!

Good luck and keep up the good work!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 19:11
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

In general, *any* expectations tend to lead to disappointment. You have no control over the number on the scale, or what the measuring tape ends up reading. Though LC is probably the best method there is, there is still no rapid way to get rid of body fat that took years to store (short of liposuction, maybe...)

It would probably be a really good idea for you to avoid that scale and measuring tape except for, say, once every six weeks. I know everyone discusses what they lost on induction, but two weeks is definitely too short of a time period to assess success.

Hope you have continued success - remember, you're already succeeding! It's working! You just have to let your body do its thing.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 19:50

Stats: 230/136/145 Female 5'8.5"
BF:33.95/24.51/20
Progress: 111%

Kim,

I agree...you've done an excellent job. When you're working out and following Atkins the weight loss (via the scale) can be a little slower but the true indication would be your shorts - falling off the body is good

I think the process or going through the process can be slow because our expectations are so high...but, I can guarantee you that you'll be so happy in 6 months to a year. I considered myself a turtle when it came to weight loss and even had a three month stall where there was no weight loss via the scale but, I lost inches during that time.

Hang in there...it sounds like you're doing really well!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 20:42
Vorsicht! heiί

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%
Default Kim

12 pounds in 2 weeks is excellent

You are doing great!

Took me 4 weeks to get where you are...but every pound gone isn't one up on the scale

Congratulations

Mischa
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 08:48

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%

12lbs in 2 weeks is excellent.
Why are you disappointed? how much where you expecting to lose?

Ali
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 11:06

Stats: 220/202/160
BF:
Progress: 30%

Kim:

I think you are doing wonderful! You seem to have a good grip on everything. Your weight loss may slow down, please don't despair. Mine stopped for 6 weeks after the initial two weeks but I have lost weight since them. Slow loss is very good for your body. I thought your time between meals was a little stretched out. I usually eat at least a snack every four hours. It seems to keep my energy at a steady level.

Katie
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 12:37

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 213.5/170.5/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Oh what I would give to have lost 12 pounds in two weeks, or even seven weeks! That is fantastic! It has taken me 7 weeks to lose 7 pounds. But the tape measure and the pant-o-meter tell a truer tale. Another thing that motivates me to stick with it--I keep reminding myself of all the other health benefits that come along with this WOE. My dear mom has Type 2 Diabetes (has been morbidly obese most of her adult life) and I SO don't want to end up with that disease. (I wish I could get her to try this, but so far she has had no interest. I think she has decided it's hopeless at this stage of her life. ) Yes, I'm sticking with this WOE, no matter if I reach my target weight. But OH, how I long to be there, or at least be closer!!