Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 13:46

Plan: Dr.ATKINS
Stats: 147/142/120
BF:
Progress: 19%
Smile misscindy

Hello , Sure I would like to talk. But this is not my second time . In 1986 I weighed 90 . 1997 I was 140 and lost to 112 I quit smoking 3yrs ago now i weigh 147 . It is so hard as I get older I tried to stay small for ever and it was a struggle I could not eat like normal people because i would gain like if i went out to lunch for a cheese burger and fries Heaven forbid I felt sorry for myself I could never eat sweets or ice cream well any thing good I once as a teenager I would eat then vomit which I got sick they called it a nervous stomach but we know now what it was . I have tried so many things this diet just seems to work . but this time it is slow go maybe because I have gotten so big .I am miserable I know you know what I mean 5ft is a small package to carry this much . I am doing the first level but only meat cheeseand jello no lettuce. I faithfully started Monday so it is just the 4th day but I am determined I looked good at one time now I look awful no clothes fit and it is getting cold so what is a girl to do . that is my story (short version). I could talk all day about my diets.e-mail me at hardinrc10~yahoo.com if you would like. Good Luck to you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 14:16

Plan: Atkins-Restarted
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 ' 3 "
BF:
Progress: 29%

Cindy -

Glad you found this forum and glad you are doing well on your new plan! First of all , you are not huge - take it easy on yourself! There are many of us here who would like to be smaller, but honestly I would prefer to be healthier first! But I hear you on the clothes thing... that was one of my main motivating factors (sad huh?) - I was tried of outgrowing my good clothes. But happy to say that I have dropped a size, so starting to work my way back down the size ladder! I am new to the WOL, but so far I love it! I am never hungry and I feel so much better. This forum has been a blessing for me, so nice to get answers to questions and have so much support. I hope you find it helpful as well!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 16:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello Cindy: I certainly admire and applaud your determination to stick to an eating plan. But I wonder which one you are trying to follow? None of the LC plans says you should eat NO carbs. In fact, some of them state that going below 10 - 20 carbs does NOT accelerate the weight loss. Even Atkins, in his first edition in 1972, recommended a salad each day.

I also have to admire your recognition that you had an eating disorder when younger. A number of people on this board have been where you were and will understand better than I. But please beware of going toward that road again. You now know that being healthy is more important than being skinny. You can be fit and well-toned which is preferable to being bony. You might weigh more but be smaller if you work out with weights and do cardio. And you will feel GREAT.

Please try to decide which of the LC plans you will follow and then use your strong determination to do what that plan recommends. If it says to increase the carbs, then do it until you see if you still lose. If it says 20 or 35 or 55 grams of carbs daily, take the advice of the doctor who wrote the plan. They have seen many people succeed and based their books on those successes. After you have followed one plan for 3-5 months, that is the time to begin to change a few things and adjust as you learn how your body reacts.

Fast weight loss is not always the best kind. It does encourage us to keep going, but slow loss gives us time to really learn how to live low carb.

All the best.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 20:07

Plan: Dr.ATKINS
Stats: 147/142/120
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default to --tofi & krazzybird

I think that after a few days I will start the lettuce .I have the 1972 book I try to eat less carbs it seems to work better for me. No I don't feel healthy I am bigger than I have ever been with outbeing p.g. I stay bloated and retain water .When I am smaller I feel better and more energy Now I am lazy do not want to go out because well I can't fit into my clothes and beleive me I have too many to buy more. It's bad when your underclothes and jogging suits are tight HA HA!!! well any way thanks for thinking of me I wish every one success I enjoy this forum it is a big help I hope I can help someone .
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 08:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Cindy, I think that 4 days without carbs won't hurt you and you may actually get into the diet easier, but don't go more than these 4 days. You need to add the lettuce and other vitamin rich veggies. You should be eating a big salad at least once a day, but add other veggies too. Like maybe a raw veggie with dip with your meat at lunch. Really, I think they start at 2 servings of raw and 1 serving of cooked veggies per day.

The problem with cutting back too far is that your body adjusts and then you will be in starvation mode. At this point you will either begin to eat away at your muscle (not good--remember that your heart is a muscle) or you will just plain stop losing and your metabolizm will almost come to a screeching halt. Once you start adding more, you run the risk of gaining if you have cut back too far in the beginning.

Good luck.

Carol