Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 05:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/145/115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Queston about carb count on package

Ok when the package says, 0 carbs per 1tbs serving size, ......

What if I have a cup for the item? Not 1tbs spoon? Does it then have more carbs for still 0? I hope this is not a silly question
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 05:24
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Redhead,

Where I live (and probably where you live too), manufacturers are legally allowed to say 0 carbs if the actual number is less than 1. So the amount may in fact be 0.9, which could add up if you are using a cup.

The best way to work it out is if they give you a total calorie count. Just remember that 1g carb and 1g protein each give 4 cals, while 1g fat gives 9 cals. So if when you do the sums you find there's 3.8 (or so ) cals missing - you'll know there are some carbs there.

Out of curiosity, what was the item?

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 05:30
Registered Member

BF:

Real Mayonnaise, I used almost a cup to make a tuna salad the other day and just did not know for sure if it was really ok. It says 1tbs has 0 carbs 0 sugars but fat 11g... Man rosebud this is getting really confusing!! I will have to go back and read your post a few times to see if I can understand all of it LOL
And Thanks so much for helping me out! You have helped me out with all my questions so far.. I really approcate it alot..
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 05:31
Registered Member

BF:

OOhh and the total calorie count is 100 Fat Cal 100 also?? Heck Ive never even seen that part!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 05:51
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Me again,

This whole business does seem confusing at first. Just bear several things in mind.

Firstly, read labels thoroughly. Remember that the further down the list of ingredients, the less of the substance is in there. So if, say, a mayo has sugar but it's the last or almost last ingredient, there will be very little of it there.

Also, it's wise to mostly eat pure, whole foods - lots of fresh meat, fish, eggs, vegies etc.

The next thing I'd like you to think about is that at 5'7, you have very little (if any) weight to lose. I would like you to consider reading Dr A's pre-maintenance section so that the little weight you do lose comes off very slowly. Why slowly? Because the slower the weight comes off, the more likely you are to keep it off, also you are trying to change your eating habits permanently. Remember, low carbing is not only about losing weight - it's also about improving our health.

About the Real Mayonnaise, if you mean the fat calories were the same as the total cals, you're in business! And don't worry about the amount of fat. On this WOE, fat is your friend!

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 09:08
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

The big wide world of label reading does get confusing. When in doubt or even not in doubt, it's best to check products with a reliable carb counter. There is one on this site under Low-Carb Tools at the top of the page and another is a book : Corinne T. Netzers Complete Book of Food Counts.

Here are some threads that will provide you with more info:

The "What's the Scoop on Mayonnaise" Thread

Carb Counting and label reading

Karen