Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-05, 11:43

Plan: LC
Stats: 266/224/185 Male 72 in
BF:?%/30%/15%
Progress: 52%
Question Biotin & elevated blood glucose??

I started taking biotin last week to try and reverse some peripheral neuropathy in my feet and hands. The next morning, my a.m. fasting BG was elevated (over 150 mg/dl). It remained elevated every day (all day) until this morning (I didn't take any biotin yesterday or this morning). Has anyone else experienced this? I checked the ingredients for anything that could have been the culprit, but there's nothing that should be indicated. It's the only variable that's changed at all, and the timing exactly matched when I started and stopped taking the biotin...

Any takers??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-05, 07:06
Cracker in Asia

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/195/175 Male 5'8.5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Biotin usually has the opposite effect than you're describing but we are all individual organisms & what effects many people one way may affect you differently

The best supplement for dealing w/neuropathy is by far Alpha Lipoic Acid which is regularly prescribed by doctors in Western Europe for treatment of neuropathy, it also helps smooth out Blood Glucose levels. It is easily available & I take 200Mg twice a day. Cheapest source I've found is Vitacost.com

Here is a product that I really am turned on about that is made by a very low key but highly research oriented company in India. This company usually works through doctors in India & the amount of true clinical research done on this product is large, these people are scientists, not marketeers. I recently found out that this company is now approved to sell their products in the USA & has started to do so.

Himalaya Heathcare in India has been manufacturing herbal medicines commerically since the 1930's! This means they have been in this business for over 75 years. They are one of the most highly respected companies in India & their products are widely advertised & sold all across India. Their Blood glucose formula is a long standing & mature product. See the link within this link to over 26 scientific papers on this product

http://www.himalayahealthcare.com/products/diabecon.htm

Here is how to find in USA (they have different name for it here)
http://www.himalayausa.com/products/gluco/pg_1.html

I 1st came in contact w/this company over 30 years ago & they really know what they are doing. Diabecon/Glucocare is very good I & several other type II Diabetics I know here in Singapore take this product & Bottom Line is it works, it really helps normalize BG levels & I believe it is one of if not the best non prescription medicine for Type II diabetes in the world

Still remember the key is diet, exercise & supplements, they are the three legs that support good diabetes management & very often if done properly in concert you can make your Type II diabetes go into complete remission as long as you stay the course