Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 07:42

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 245.5/227.5/135
BF:
Progress: 16%
Question Carb grams in breads

Good morning everyone!

I've been reading a lot of LC information online over the last few days. I'm curious what other SPer's think about why carb gram listings for bread are so different. Some are nearly double what is in SP. I was thinking that it may be because Dr. S says we should be using fresh-baked bread because it has no perservatives. If I do use a commercially prepared bread (that doesn't have a nutritional breakdown listed), am I sabotaging myself? The inches and pounds are coming off nicely and my blood sugars have returned to normal, though I have yet to consume homemade bread.... As an aside, it sure was nice to hear my doctor ask yesterday "Have you lost weight? I can see it!".

Take care all!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 08:01

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi Sue Sun -

I avoided homemade breads mostly because a) they're hard to stop eating, b) caused huge cravings, and c) carb counts were hard to determine. When I did eat bread, I would buy the tiny Weight Watchers whole wheat because I knew the carb counts were probably accurate.

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 10:04

Stats: 145/145/130
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Sue! I have a bread machine and strictly make whole wheat, pumperknickel, rye or 5 grain breads. I count one thin slice (about the thickness of store bought) as 15 grams. Hope this helps!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 10:42

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 200/172/140
BF:
Progress: 47%

Whit flour is white flour wether you make you own or buy the commercial kind. Your best bet for success is to eat only low carb breads and forget home made. I can't think of anything harder to resist then a fresh out of the oven loaf of bread screaming for butter. The low carb breads I have found do not have flour in them. I am not sure how this is accomplished, but I am sure that is how they keep the count down. Good Luck. Sorry to rain on your parade.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 22:55

Stats: 245.5/227.5/135
BF:
Progress: 16%
Smile

Thanks for the feedback gang! I've been sticking with rye and whole wheat bread and just eating 15 g portions at a time. I haven't seen low carb bread in our stores here, but I'm going to check out some of the health food stores to see what they have. Perhaps a road trip to Grand Forks, ND is in order to stock up on some items that haven't surfaced in Canadian stores.

Night all!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 09:11

Plan: Schwartzbein
Stats: 225/216/150
BF:
Progress: 12%

I try to find low carb store-bought breads, as well. I bought La Banderita brand corn tortillas in Wal-Mart the other day. For two tortillas, the package claimed 11 grams of carb, with 3 grams of fiber. I, also, pita bread the other day, Sara Lee Mr. Pita brand, which has 17 grams of carb and 1 gram of fiber for the entire pita. I only eat half.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 09:10

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Personally I wouldn't eat anything that doesn't list ingredients (or was that just the nutritional breakdown).

But I would pick a bread that is made with 100% whole wheat flour. The easiest way to be sure is to check the label. The only flour listed should be stone-ground (preferably) whole wheat flour. I would aslo not pick any bread that contains preservatives and other crap

This is what my bread says on the label : Organic Whole Wheat flour, Organic wheat sourdough, sea salt, organic sesame seeds.

I don't want to knock low carb bread since I have yet to see what the ingredients are. I have yet to find any here. But my general principle is to avoid replacing refined low-fat refined crap by refined low-carb crap.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying all low carb products are crap, but some definitively are.

Reading these boards, I get the distinct impression that what we are seeing happening is the fat demon being simply replaced by the carb demon.

The real demon has been the same all along : overly refined and damaged food stuff.

It's too easy to fall in the substitute trap. I know, because I keep falling in it....and the bottom is littered with empty Splenda packets