Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 11:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/170/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Cool First post: intro

Hi,
This is my first post to this forum, so I hope I am doing it correctly.

Anyway, I just found out about this forum, and am happy to have the support and info I believe it will give me as I progress through the Atkins diet.

This is my 2nd time through. Several years ago I lost 60+ pounds and it was incredibly easy and I was never hungry. MY BP went down, and I was able to get off my prescription medicine. After keeping the weight off for about 2 years, my life had a lot of changes, for the good, but I went off the diet seriously. I gained back that 60 pounds plus more. So here I am trying again.

I have found that the Atkins diet program has made several changes, and I am trying to get up to speed on all of that. Also new this time, for me, is that I am excercising. I am doing Nautilus as well as walking/jogging every day. I have to say that the weight is coming off slowly, and I sometimes get discouraged and cheat. It is so much harder the 2nd time, almost like my body is rebelling.

I have only lost 20 pounds since March, and although my body is showing signs of muscle being built (under the fat), I could use some encouragement, and also some advice on how to excercise more effectively. I am a little confused on whether it is best to build muscle by Nautilus and/or do cardio(walking/jogging/bike). Recently I heard doing both will work against me.

So I look forward to discussions on this board, as well as support and encouragement.
Katieterp
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 17:05

Plan: mix of Schwarzbein & PP;
Stats: 250/213/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Don't know!
Progress: 31%

Hi Katieterp,

I think that you will find a lot of help, support, and information here. 20 pounds since March is STILL GREAT! It's 20 pounds, which is significant. Also who knows how much muscle you have gained, which would make the weight loss even greater if you knew?

I am a new-comer to this way of eating so I cannot comment on the changes in Atkins, but I know that there are a lot of helpful and supportive people who can give you some up to date information.

Natalie

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1welcome1floral.jpg (11.3 KB, 36 views)
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 17:23
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hi! and welcome to the forum!!

Unfortunately time marches on for all of us...making us older and slower in many different ways (oh, but so much wiser!!). Remember that you're older now and losing weight is not going to be as easy as it once was, and each successive diet attempt will slow you down further. Oh well, slow loss is still way better than gaining! You're doing fine!! I've lost 20 lbs. since March too, and we're about the same age, and similar stats, so if you want a buddy, feel free to visit my journal and we'll compare notes!

I'm not an exercise expert, but there are plenty here that are!! Check out the general exercise forum and you'll find loads of info there...ask any question you like and you'll surely get an answer! I've read more than one place that cardio can actually hinder weight loss, so since I really don't like cardio I plan on sticking with free weights and moderate cardio (walking, tennis, etc) when I get my back healed up from a recent injury. But I think it's definitely a YMMV thing (your mileage may vary)!

Best of luck to you and let me know if I can help!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 17:44

Stats: 351/316/160
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Katie and welcome,

Well twenty pounds may not seem like a lot...but it is! Lift twenty pounds of dog food or whatever you have available and you will se that is quite a bit that you have lost plus while you are doing it slowly you are doing it the right way with exercise and proper eating. Your body may just being losing slower this time in order that your mind can prepare as well. If the food changes and exercise changes are long term then you are more likely to stick with it.

Good luck

damaraq
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 21:33

BF:
Smile Thanks!

Thanks, Everyone, for the encouragement! Your replies have made me feel a bit more optimistic and patient already. I will be checking out your journals, and other forums when I have time, and I am so glad this valuable resource is here!!

God bless,
Katieterp
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 23:51

Plan: protein power
Stats: 207.5/202/150
BF:
Progress: 10%

Katieterp,
Are you drinking enough water? It makes a big difference. Although I am no expert I believe that both types of exercise are important. Cardio for healthy lungs and heart, and weights for developing muscles and keeping your bones strong. You are doing great. Hang in there. Judi
P.S. at least you were able to introduce yourself, I haven't figured that part out yet.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 21:32

BF:
Talking water

Hi,
And funny that you should mention water, Judi! BTW, welcome to you also, and glad I am not the only newbie here wandering through trying to figure out how things work on this site.

I recently (this week) started back to drinking lots of water. I had been drinking water, but not as much as I should have. I am subscribed to a low-carb dieters' listserve and the talk is all about water, minimum of 64 oz every day. So I have been "married" to a water bottle lately, and it has made a difference in how i feel, and (drum roll, please!) I have lost 2 more pounds this week!!!!!

I am trying to get my husband to hook up the ice machine on our refrig, even though it means new plumbing (minor) under our trailer so it will be even easier for me drink water. It's kind-of a pain buying water all the time, and I can't stand our well water taste at room temp.

Anyway, just wanted to share the good news, and let Judi know how right she is!
Thanks everyone, for your encouragement,
Katieterp