Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 14:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/156/150
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi Ladies,

Welcome back Melanie!!!! We all sure did miss you and I am glad you had a good time. You did very well and should be proud of yourself. Just think of the damage that you could have done!! Looking forward to hearing all about your trip.

Just a quick note to tell everyone that on 48 Hours tonight at either 8 or 9PM they will be talking about the Atkins diet. I am taping it because I know I will forget to watch it if I don't. It will be interesting to see what they say about it.

Later,
Karin
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 16:43

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 208/200/160
BF:
Progress: 17%

karin:
wondering if you would mind giving a rundown of the atkins show on 48 hours, i won't be able to watch tonight. promised gerry we'd watch a video, "chicken run" he'll love it. but it puts the tv out of commission for watching any good programs. i'm going to miss the show on dieting on 20/20 too. hope someone can watch that one too. talk to you later.
thanks,
jane
  #168   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 05:19

BF:

Morning Ladies,
Ugh, what a night we had!!! I got home from work and decided since I still can't find my free-weights to do the Tae-bo tape. Boy, that really kicked my butt!! John call me at 5 to tell me he cut his thumb at work real bad and he thinks he may need stitches but wasn't sure what to do. I told him to go to either an urgent care center of the emercency room at the hospital. So he said he could but then I needed to go back to the shop and releive our part-timer since it was John's turn to work that night. I quickly cooked us dinner and then off I went with Colt the the shop.

When we got home at 8:30 John had just pulled in. He had been at the emergency roon all that time and no one had seen him. He was tired, hungy and pissed. He showed me his thumb and I felt like either passing out or throwing up. Ugh, the sight of blood! I am not real good in situations like this. I told him he need to go back to the hospital because he could not go through the night like that. The cut was so deep and it was still bleeding after all these hours. So I got directions for another hospital in the next town over and off we when. They were much better organized there but it was still a long weight. We did not get out of there until 11PM. It too two hours to get 7 stitches. Gee, the hole thing was not at all like ER on TV!!!! My son Colt was such a good boy. He didn't complain once about the long wait. He sat there nicly next to me. I told him when I tucked him in his bed how proud I was of him.

Everyone is still asleep this morning. I did my walk.

Jane: I will tell you all about the show when I watch it later today. I am so glad I asked Zack to set the machine to tape it!! I didn't know 20/20 was talking about diet. Which I would have taped that one too.

Well, off for some breakfast. Talk to you all later.

Karin
  #169   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 06:46

BF:

good morning wonderful ladies:
it's a beautiful day even though it will be getting hot later. was up early, reading, i love that quiet time before the day gets going.
last night i was cooking up a storm for my little get away. i made those cheesey chips in the oven instead of on the stove and i could do so many more at one time on a cookie sheet. i also tried those breakfast meatballs. they are delicious. and i went out and bought some roasted soy beans to snack on. they are a good source of protien but a little salty so i'll have to watch how many i eat.
i have needed this little holiday to just relax for months and i'm a very happy girl. interesting how just the anticipation of a holiday will get some of us high up on that old cloud nine.
you'd think i was getting married or something
gerry and i are going to see my sister this morning for a little visit. it gets us out of the house. looks like it will be a quiet day today otherwise. maybe i'll let gerry do some vacuuming he loves it ....i just have to watch he doesn't damage the furniture, he can get quit exuberant. the joy of his life is helping others.what a prince he is.
well i guess i'd better get his breakfast for him he's sitting there looking hungry.
later folks,
jane
  #170   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 12:35

Stats: 228/224.4/180 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi Ya'll... I am finally feeling more like my old self. I was really tired, jet lag, I guess.
Karin, I bet your husband was a little upset, having waited all that time for nothing, I would be. I bet his thumb will be sore.
Jane, I have not thought about making the cheese things in the oven, that is a splendid idea.
I noticed in your post earlier that you were having a hard time making the roasted green beans. I have done them under the broiler in my oven, it works pretty good. They never get crispy for me either, but they taste good.
I used ketostix this morning and it said no trace. I dont know what I did but I am back on strict induction today. I know I ate to much salad while on my trip. I will just stay strictly to less than 20 carbs for a few days, and maybe I will make up for it.
I have to tell ya'll, I sat next to this really good looking guy on the plane, going from Phoenix to Vegas. He was about 30 to 35 years old. I talked with him a little. When we got to Vegas he said "Well, have a good time..." That same night we went to a show called Legends. He was ELVIS impersonater!!! He looked exactly like Elvis when he was young and baby faced. My heart just melted.
I know I am married and love my husband dearly, but I am not dead yet. After the show, he was sitting outside the theater giving autographs, when he saw me, he said your the one from the plane. It was so much fun.... Imagine the chances of sitting next to someone on the plane, and then happening to go to the show they where in.
I will tell you another thing, it was no small feat to pass on all that good food. Every kind of dessert you can imagine. I could have gained back every ounce that I have lost. I am surprised I did not gain weight just looking at it all. It was not easy to eat my little turkey and cheese and watch everybody else having gooey chocolate stuff. But I did it! I am glad to be home though, it is not so hard, when you dont have all that stuff, right at your fingertips. I just kept thinking about the size 10. I would hate to have to go back to the 12.
I am going to have to go post in my journal. I did not keep up with everything in Vegas, so I will just have to start from when I got back.
I will be talking to ya'll later...
  #171   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 05:36

BF:
Default holiday time

good morning girlfriends;
it's holiday time for me girls.i'm just dashing off a note before i leave. ruth picks me up in 30 mins.
tom is about to arrive of course, and the cravings are driving me nuts this month. hope i can make through without cheating. pray for me.
did get to the gym this am and hurried through my workout as i won't be able to go back until friday.
packing all kinds of healthy snacks. so i don't have any excuses except hormones.
just have to finish packing food and then it's off. i'm as excited as a kid at christmas! i'll be back before noon on thursday so 'solong for now'. i will miss you.......really i will.
love ya,
later,
jane (hugs for all)
  #172   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 07:01

BF:

Morning Ladies!
It's gonna be another real hot one today. It's my day off, worked all weekend. Wanted to do something outside but don't think I want to deal with the heat. Should clean my house but would rather do something fun .

Tried the lasagne recipe yesterday with the zuccini instead of pasta. It was sooooo good. I used Paul Numan's sauce. It was the lowest of all the ready made spaghetti sauces. Even hubby loved it. I also put mushrooms in mine and a bit of left over cooked chicken but just a little.

Oh, the 48 Hour show on the Atkins diet was a total bust and I was so disappointed. I thought the whole show would be on Atkins but it wasn't. They left that until the very end and then spent to much time on the Dr. and his personal life. They said there has been no real scientific tests done to see the overall effects of the diet for long term. One doctor did do a study and found that Atkins was a much faster weight reducer than a low fat diet. They also noted that people health was good although some people bad cholesteral went up the good cholesteral went up too so I guess they counter acted each other. Anyhow didn't really learn anything new.

Well, I have been doing Atkins for 2 weeks now and have lost 11 pounds. I am very pleased. I know this rapid loss will stop soon but it's been a fun ride so far.

Jane: I hope you have a fantastic time and I will keep my fingers crossed for you that you won't be too tempted.

Are any of you using those ketosis strips?

Well I am off to clean much to my dismay but somebodies got to do it!

See ya!
Karin
  #173   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 07:42

Stats: 235/219/150
BF:
Progress: 19%

Good Morning Girls,

Hope everyone had wonderful weekends.

Melanie, wow...pretty cool about the Elvis impersonater. The closest I ever got to a famos personality was the time I was at the same party as a bunch of NWA wrestlers...lol. I actually held a drink for Ric Flair...lol...thought that was REALLLLL big at the time. I was still a stupid teenager.

I see Jane is gone of on an adventure. You deserve it and I'm sure you will do fine. I will pray for you as you asked, but am confident that you will be okay.

Karin, I don't use keto sticks. I wonder sometimes if I should tho. The only way I can tell that I'm in ketosis is that I'm soooo thirsty all the time. I feel like I should be since I'm behaving myself...lol. It would be nice to have them anyway, just so I could be absolutly sure, but I'm trying to keep expences down.

My husband is doing very good. He is going through some powerful withdrawals tho. Sugar has always been a big thing for him. He loves it and would put 4 or 5 spoons ful in a cup of coffee and about 1/4 cup on presweetened cereals. He is substituting splenda in his coffee, not eating cereal at all and foregoing his usual sugary sweet treats every night for LC goodies like no sugar jello which he now loves. Bless his heart he's suffering, but sticking with it. I'm so happy he has decided to change his habits. I was truely begining to worry that I'd be a young widow if he didn't. Heart trouble runs in his family, as does diabeties. He is very cottonmouthed today so I'm sure he's already in ketosis.

We have been working out together and love it. Even our sons are geting into that part, although they finish it off with a soda...lol.

Later,

Renee'
  #174   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 15:17

BF:

Hi Girls... How are things going? I am so sorry I have not had much time to post lately. I have been through hell the last couple of days.
My brother just died 3 months ago, and my 1st cousin, Jerry started coming to keep my mother company after my brother died. (My brother lived with my mother) so Jerry felt sorry for her being alone, and he started spending time with her and watching movies with her and such. He lived alone so it was good for both of them. Well, my mother kept my son Colton while we where in Vegas, and she did not see Jerry the whole time we where gone, but she thought it was because she had my son, and Jerry gets nervous around kids. So she didn't think anything of it. My mom does not drive, but she had been trying to call him. After church yesterday, she got someone to take her by Jerry's house. It was terrible, he was dead and had been for 4 or 5 days. My mother practically raised him, so it was just like losing another son to her. I have been with her, since yesterday. I feel so sorry for her. It had to be awful finding him that way, they said he was in the last stages of decomposing, and recommended creamation, so I know that had to be a sight she will never forget.
I dont mean to be gross, I just wish my mother would not have had to see that.
It has been really hard on her, she has not even had time to get over her greif for my brother. And she has bipolar disorder, so she goes into such a deep depression, that it scares me.
I feel really bad about it. I was not that close to Jerry, but I wish this had not have happened to him. They think he had a massive heart attack. He was sent for autopsy. He was found beside his bed face down, so they think he must have thrashed around. I dont know, it is just awful.
On a happier note now, I am so glad to see that you are all doing so good, and I am glad to see Jane get to go have some fun.
Karin, my house needs to be cleaned also, I just have not been in no cleaning mood lately. I did get my yard mowed. I am going to have to get busy, or somebody will show up to visit, and I will be embarrassed to death. I had to clean my cabinets earlier, they where full of fire ants, they wanted my pancake mix and brown sugar and all that good stuff. I am not going to eat it, but my husband might not survive without his pancakes.
Renee, it sounds like you are just exercising your little hinney off. You are doing splendid. I am so proud of you. I missed my walk for last couple of days because of all that has been going on. I need to get me some weights, or go to my nieces house and use hers. My walk is good, but need some other means of exercise. I will try to do that.
Well, ya'll pray for my mother, I know she will need it, in the days to come. She has been through more than enough heartache.
I have to go to Austin Wednesday, and will probably do some housekeeping tomorrow, but I will try to post in between. I havent forgotten my buddies, just been really busy....
Take care and stick to your guns, and like Teridoodle says " Be a Loser!!! "
Bye girls, have a great day. Big Hugs for All!

P.S. I use the keto sticks and pay $12 for 50 strips, but only use one every few days, so they last awhile. They help me, when I got back from Vegas, they said no trace, so I went back to strict induction, and am now back in the purple.
I will say this though, if you try them dont get discouraged if you are not in the deepest purple color, because most of the time if you are drinking enough water, it will only be light purple, which is good. All it means if it is dark color, is that you need to drink more water.
Also use them early in the morning, every time you test... For more accurate results.
  #175   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 18:37

BF:

Oh Melanie, I am so sorry to hear about Jerry and how your mother found him. I feel so bad for her and Jerry too. Do you live close by your mom? I will think of her and hope she will be okay.

Didn't do squat today. Went to Funkco Land to trade in some old Ninento games for new stuff. They boys always love that. Then off to Walmart for a few goodies. Never did do any house work. Will have to get my butt in gear tomorrow because my mom and sister are coming over on Thursday. Knowing me I will wait until the last minute and then run around like crazy. At least I don't have a ton to do. This house is a lot easier to keep tidy than my last place.

Renee: that is great that your hubby is sharing in your way of eating and exercise too. My hubby make come over to this side too but I think he will have a hard time giving up those high carb beers!

Well, I had better get off here, need to get the little one in the bath.

Take care and hugs to all!
Karin
  #176   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 20:31

BF:

Thanks Karin,
And I live fairly close to my mom, it is 25 miles from my house to hers.
I did not do anything today either. I needed to, but all I did was wash dishes and get a meal cooked. I was feeling lazy today. My house looks terrible. With the kids home, it is so hard to keep it clean. It is all I can do, to keep up with all the laundry. We have a pool, which is a pain in the behind. The kids track in water, and every piece of clothing they own is wet. So, I have just started getting a good book and slipping off into my own little world today. I could work myself silly, and it would all be right back messy, so whats the use?
I need to make the boys help me, and then maybe they would realize what a mess they make...
Well, I better go, need to settle the kids down for the night. Talk to you later. Take care...
  #177   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 11:43

BF:

Melanie,

I am so sorry that you and your mother are going through such a terrible thing. Of course we will pray for you both. It sounds like you are a very close family, that is good.

Since your mother is prone to depression and has already been through one childs death recently, maybe it would be good to have her see a counselor or have the pastor of her church visit with her. They may be able to offer her some comfort.

The death of a child is hard to deal with. And as you said she almost raised your cousin too. Bless her heart, she has really had an awful blow.

Renee'
  #178   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 13:58

BF:

Thank you Renee, I know that my mom is hurting over this, but she is a Jehovahs Witness, and the congregation has just gathered around her like family, they are really wonderful people. She has alot of very good friends also. We will all just have to get through it, you know they say that God will not give you more than you can handle. I beleive that.
I finally got my house in order again, after leaving Levi here while we went to Vegas it was messy!!! I have mounds of laundry to get done, but am working on it right now.
How are you likeing your weight bench? I talked with my niece, she has a weight room in her house, treadmill, leg press, all kinds of good stuff, she said I could use it anytime. But she lives about 50 miles round trip, so it is a pain in the behind to get over there and do it. I know I should, but you know how it is.
I have really been craving sweets today, so far have made do with a diet soda. I wonder what makes you do that? I would just give anything for a fried pie, I will fight the urge...
Looks like you have been doing very well. I noticed you changed your avitar, it looks nice.
I am home all alone, it is so nice, the husband and boys are all out plowing the field, getting ready to plant oats and wheat. It is a rare thing around here to have time to oneself. It does a body good. I had a long soak in the tub, and read.
Guess I will go now, I have a real thing about writing these books, and not saying anything either.
Have you went to Teridoodles journal? You should go and look at the picture she has posted after 20 pounds off, she looks fabulous. Gives me ambition.
See ya later.....
  #179   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 16:23

BF:

Hey Ladies,
We are getting ready for a big storm. The sky is dark and the wind is picking up. We need the rain and they are promising with it cooler weather. I am all for that!! It has been so hot and humid I don't feel very motivated to work in the yard.

My father in-law picked up my oldest son to take him to southern VA where he as purchased some land. Eventually they are going to build a house there and retire. Now it's just me and the little one and the house will be on the quiet side since he has no one to fight with!

Melanie: Glad to hear that your mother will be able to get some support through her church. Keep us posted on how she is. I too have been wanting sweets today. I amost forgot what I was doing when I was getting my son's cereal and ate a handfull. I caught myself just in time. I ate a salad instead. It was not the same but I guess I just needed to eat something. I'm having TOM so that may have something to do with it. Where you live, can you see for miles? Would love to see your ranch! What are you reading? I love to read too but here lately can't find anything that grabs me.

Renee': How are you doing with your weight training? I still can't find my free weights. Wonder what happened to them. I am hoping that dear hubby will get me a new set for my birthday. If not I will buy some next week.

Better get of here and unplug everything before the storms starts. Have a good night!

Karin
  #180   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 07:11

BF:

Good Morning Girls,

Melanie, I need to pay closer attention, I'm sorry I thought your mother inlaw was the witness. I am glad to hear that it is your mother, she has an incredible support system in them. I've never met a more careing group of people than Jehovah's Witnesses.
I need to put a hurting on my house, it's a mess...lol.

Karin, enjoy your quiet time. You deserve it. My step father has a cabin in Charles City. He started out camping as he built.

We have been weight training every day as my mother has been down with alergies and unable to go on our walks. This morning there was a piece on the local news that reminded me that my muscles need to rest so I skipped it this time, but will be back at it tomorrow

I have worked my reps up to 60 leg lifts [30 lbs sitting and lifting to the front] 2 times, 50 leg curls [30 lbs laying on belly and lifting] 2 times, 60 butterflies [15 lbs each arm] 2 times, 15 presses, 10 presses and then as many as I can do usually between 5-8 [50 lbs]. I think I may increase the weight next time rather than the reps, but I need to think about that. My intent is NOT to become "muscle bound" and I need to weigh that with my understanding that bigger muscles burn more calories, even while they are at rest. Balance is the key.

Bruce, my husband, has been doing great. Still no sugar or "bad" carbs. I was telling him yesterday that I don't think he really needs to be concerned with keeping his carb count as low as mine, as he doesn't need to lose as much as redistribute the weight he has. He has really lost quickly, from 226 to 214 in just 5 days. He has always been one of those people who could lose easily just by missing one meal. I won't fuss over that right now...but I think you know what I feel about that...lol. According to the "charts" his weight should be somewhere between 165 and 185. I don't agree with that at all. He is 6' 2" and if he were that thin he would simply be gaunt and frankly unhealthy looking. I think that a fit 195-205 is more like it, while he wants to build up to a muscular 220 [I have no problem with this at all ]. What do you guys think?

I haven't really been drinking enough water lately. Our water delivery is scheduled for later this month and the tap water here is awful. I know I need to do better, and will.

Later,

Renee'