Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 08:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 56//! Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Default My Experience with Cheating

I haven't been around this board much, because I've just been so ashamed. I've decided to come clean, and share my experience with a cheat/binge... Bear with me, please.

So... I had a planned long weekend in Vegas... I left Friday, October 29th, and returned Monday, November 1st. Before the trip, I had already decided that I was going to eat what I wanted while in Vegas... I mean, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right?? Well. NOT to my surprise, I found it difficult to get back on the low-carb track come Tuesday. I kept saying, "oh... what's another meal?" and "oh... what's another day?"... and... "before I get back to atkins... let me sneak in this or that etc."... it turned ugly!!

I'm talking serious binges here. Burger King. Cheese Steaks. FRENCH FRIES. Ice cream. Indian Food. Sushi. Pancakes. I mean... I lost it.

But here's the weird thing... None of it was that good!! All the foods I THOUGHT I wanted left me... well... not only feeling gross, but left me feeling somehow disappointed. The guilt was out of control, and maybe that played a role in my "satisfaction" after stuffing my face... But I just can't help but think that the forbidden foods were just WAY better in my mind than in my mouth. I really need to remember that when I crave again.

Well. To make a long story shorter... I got back on track this Monday, the 8th, after 9 days of MAJOR grubbing on all sorts of CRAP. I faced the scale this morning... after having been afraid of acknowledging what damage I've done. Much to my surprise, the scale said I only gained one pound. Thank God.

So. Here's the moral of the story. Don't cheat. It's not worth the guilt, the loss of self-esteem, the loss of pride in what you've accomplished. It's not worth the gas, the bloating, the weight gain. It's not worth that disgusting feeling of guilt and loser-dom. It's not worth the gigantic effort it takes to get back on track... It's just not worth it. It's just food. It's not love, or life, or joy. Just Food. And I never want to lose control to food ever again.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 08:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/176/150 Female 5'6.5
BF:
Progress: 43%

When you binge, it's never is that good. Small treats are good... Binges just make you feel terrible.

Just look at this as a learning experience, and move on.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 08:48

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skweezzy
I haven't been around this board much, because I've just been so ashamed. I've decided to come clean, and share my experience with a cheat/binge... Bear with me, please.

So... I had a planned long weekend in Vegas... I left Friday, October 29th, and returned Monday, November 1st. Before the trip, I had already decided that I was going to eat what I wanted while in Vegas... I mean, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right?? Well. NOT to my surprise, I found it difficult to get back on the low-carb track come Tuesday. I kept saying, "oh... what's another meal?" and "oh... what's another day?"... and... "before I get back to atkins... let me sneak in this or that etc."... it turned ugly!!

I'm talking serious binges here. Burger King. Cheese Steaks. FRENCH FRIES. Ice cream. Indian Food. Sushi. Pancakes. I mean... I lost it.

But here's the weird thing... None of it was that good!! All the foods I THOUGHT I wanted left me... well... not only feeling gross, but left me feeling somehow disappointed. The guilt was out of control, and maybe that played a role in my "satisfaction" after stuffing my face... But I just can't help but think that the forbidden foods were just WAY better in my mind than in my mouth. I really need to remember that when I crave again.

Well. To make a long story shorter... I got back on track this Monday, the 8th, after 9 days of MAJOR grubbing on all sorts of CRAP. I faced the scale this morning... after having been afraid of acknowledging what damage I've done. Much to my surprise, the scale said I only gained one pound. Thank God.

So. Here's the moral of the story. Don't cheat. It's not worth the guilt, the loss of self-esteem, the loss of pride in what you've accomplished. It's not worth the gas, the bloating, the weight gain. It's not worth that disgusting feeling of guilt and loser-dom. It's not worth the gigantic effort it takes to get back on track... It's just not worth it. It's just food. It's not love, or life, or joy. Just Food. And I never want to lose control to food ever again.

OMG, I don't remember posting my confession!! Seriously, I did the EXACT same thing you did (unfortunately at home, not in Vegas ) AND on the same dates -- what's with that?? I blew it starting on the 29th (DS3's huge birthday party, coming down with a cold, only 4 hours sleep...) and continued thru Halloween ("what's the point in trying to get back on track with all the candy around?" ) and ended up staying off for 9 WHOLE DAYS!!! I just got back on plan on Sunday (so I'm starting Day 4).

I swear, it's the same story -- I binged like crazy and didn't enjoy 90+% of it and the guilt ruined the rest of it

I sure wish I could say the same as you re: the amount of weight gained!! I gained 4-5 lbs, but I'm hoping most of that was water. I've already lost 2 lbs of it, but it sure wasn't worth it!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 13:00

Stats: 135/127/123 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

" . . . But here's the weird thing... None of it was that good!! All the foods I THOUGHT I wanted left me... well... not only feeling gross, but left me feeling somehow disappointed. The guilt was out of control, and maybe that played a role in my "satisfaction" after stuffing my face... But I just can't help but think that the forbidden foods were just WAY better in my mind than in my mouth. I really need to remember that when I crave again . . . "

Man, I can REALLY relate to this. I remember caving into the THOUGHT that I wanted Chinese food. Well, I did . . . and was SO disappointed to find that I really didn't like it as much as I thought I did. As a matter of fact, even when I was not a LC eater, I was always disappointed in Chinese food because I thought it needed salad to balance the taste. These days, I realize that what I missed was the taste/smell of soy sauce. So, I make the mock stir fry with cauliflower and that really satisfies me. (Plus, I can have it with salad!)
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 14:39
Registered Member

Stats: 215/206/140 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool You are forgiven

Thank you for your confession. Thank you for bringing integrity into your life in reguard to low carb eating. Thank you for sharing - it makes a HUGE difference for all of us. This weight thing is something everyone in America is struggling with. We have gotten this idea that we need to 'treat' ourselves. As if we are dogs or something.

Keep comming back to this board and sharing your success and failures. This place has made an awsome difference for me. I get more from peoples shares than I did from the atkins books. Give people feedback / attaboys & attagirls. It all adds up and makes a difference for everyone.

You are here and that makes a difference for you and the rest of us. Read what your supposed to eat and then go eat it.

p.s. You are forgiven for your failure. For your pentence, go make a difference for 10 people!

Wheels.

Now wasn't that very catholic?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 19:20
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

Isn't it a helpless feeling to realize that the cheat food really doesn't taste that good, yet still stuff your face with it? I can definately relate. It is the nature of our addiction. Thanks for your confession. It really points out the reason we are here, to gain control over food instead of letting food control us.

Good luck getting back on track!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-04, 13:26
Registered Member

Stats: 188/170.5/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

What IS it with those dates?? I started cheating on the 29th and am STILL in the midst of my cheat! I have had good LC days here and there, but not long enough to make a difference. Ditto on the unfulfilling food too. Chick-fil-A has always been my favorite food in the world. Had it yesterday, and it was so boring!! I was so disappointed! Didn't keep me from eating it though...how sad is that? I'm proud of you for being able to dust yourself off after Vegas and get back on track. Now it's my turn. I can do this!!!!