Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 06:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/166/143 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Tingling in hands

Hi All,

I've been on induction for the last two weeks, but I have noticed, especially after my lunch, that I have a tingling sensation in my hands.
Does it last that long for anybody else or should I have to worry about something??

Lunch by the way is normally mixed salad and chicken/salmon/tuna with some cream cheese.

thanks,
Gagalina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 13:46
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Gagalina:

Do you mean paresthesia? It feels like pins and needles in your fingers? If so, I get the same thing when I keep my carbs too low. Is it the same sensation as when you are startled? I actually wrote to Atkins about this and they said they've never head of it before. However, I've seen several posts on the boards about it.

My personal theory is that it's an adrenaline reaction from tightly controlling insulin, forcing the liver to create glucose (gluconeogenesis). I often get it when I'm weightlifting and at the slightest increase in stress.

Obviously, it's not a common reaction, but for me, I needed to increase my carbs a bit for it to go away. You might try it and see what happens.

But it wouldn't hurt to see a doctor about it b/c the symptom is indicative of more serious illness like MS.

Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 14:12

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

If it only happens in a few fingers and goes away when you stop an activity, it's possible that the activity is causing pressure on a nerve. Even STRONG muscle action could contribute to it.

There is one of the B vitamins which, if you take too much of it, causes tingling in the extremities. BUt it shouldn't happen UNLESS you take that one B - it wouldn't happen with a B complex tablet.

If it persists, do ask your own doctor.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 16:53

BF:

its not really a specific activity that I do. For instance after lunch I just go back to work and then I get the tingling sensation, but only after I started atkins. I also noticed it driving the car after having some chicken at the weekend. I suppose it must be your adrenalin theory?

thanks,
Geraldine
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 18:24
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Geraldine:

That sounds exactly like me. Although Tofi's very correct about the nerve compression problem, I can get it without any body movement whatsoever. I've been on Induction several times and it's only around Induction that it happens to me. When I up my carbs a bit, it goes away. It's weird.

LOL, until someone can come up with a better theory, that's the one I'm sticking to. But don't quote me on it.

Oh.... Tofi, interesting about the vitamin B. I take pantothenic acid along with a B complex. I'll have to look into that.

Wanda

edit - thanks Tofi, I looked into it. More than 100 mg of Niacin (B3) can cause tingling. Good to know.

Last edited by wcollier : Tue, Aug-17-04 at 18:34.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 05:12
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

This has happened to me a few weeks ago for the first time. Once we were at the beach, and it turned cold. It lasted in both hands for a while, I was starting to worry if I was having a small stroke! Then I noticed in on two other times, but only in my index fingers and thumbs. It seemed to last for a while, unlike when you hands fall asleep. Were my carbs to low on those days? Or to much B vitamin? I have been taking the same multi vitamin since I started, so I can't see a sudden build up there. Should it happen again I will try to connect the dots.

It was a bit scary to think that I should be having sudden health problems now. (Found out recently my older sister had a small stroke in here late 30's. She always had a big weight problem.) Did not want to follow in her footsteps, now that I am at my ideal weight, and exercise 4 to 5 times a week. It just didn't seem fair. So in a way, I guess it is good to know that it happens to other people out there.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 06:12
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hmmmm, mine only lasts for a second or two, like when you've been startled. What about you, Geraldine?

MaryTou, given your family history, you may want to get it checked out by your doctor. Keep us informed.

Wanda
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 07:04

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Something that lasts for a while IS worth getting checked out. If your doctor says it's nothing right now, at least it has been seen and is on your record.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 08:43
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Tingling in extremities can be a symptom of low blood sugar. This may be either an intermittent problem (usually triggered by a burst of sudden exercise/activity) or one that goes away in a few days (low blood sugar when starting atkins is common; it takes your body awhile to adjust insulin output to match the new very low carbs) when you are keeping your carbohydrate extremely low. Are you having any accompanying symptoms of low blood sugar such as dizziness, fainting spells, fatigue, light headedness, headache, a trembling sensation in the body, and feelings of aggression/discomfort/having no patience for environment/etc?

I'm not sure about this but it can also be a symptom of poor blood flow/circulation, which could be caused by a number of conditions. Sometimes when we keep our carbohydrates very low, we inadvertantly wind up taking in insufficient potassium as well as excreting our minerals and electrolytes more rapidly than normal. This can cause electrolyte imbalances which produce hypotension, dizziness, inadequate circulation (resulting in the pins & needles) and heart rythm disturbances. Is your heart rythm normal, or are you getting palpitations? Dizziness when standing / rising quickly?

Either way, I don't think people should be on induction for extended periods of time. I know there are some who swear by 20 carbs for life, but in my PERSONAL experience that wasn't optimal for promoting health nor is it realistically sustainable (come on... 20 grams of carbs is extremely low, how can you possibly be eating enough fresh produce on that amount?).
I feel so much better on more carbs (although it should be mentioned that the line between an amount of carbs which makes me feel better... and too many carbs... is very very thin). I used to get this, tingling in my feet and hands, which turned to dizziness, which eventually turned heart palps, etc. The heart palps scared me bad enough to go to the doctor. Add more fresh produce into your diet (in the form of very low carb berries, fruit, cruciferous veggies) and it will likely resolve itself, whichever issue it is.

By the way, electrolyte imbalances are very serious, so don't keep going on like this. It can cause a fatal heart attack (this is typically what all those teenage girls who diet / have an eating disorder are dropping dead from in the papers). This is also how those anti-low carb scare sites say Atkins is linked to "sudden death". I'm not trying to scare you to say you're gonna die or anything, I'm just telling you this to let you know that you shouldn't ignore the minor symptoms because there is more to it than dizziness and a skipping heart.

If you really have your heart set against raising your carbs, but you think the problem is related to electrolytes, then I suggest eating far less sodium-rich, potassium-depeleted foods like bacon, pork rinds, etc. Instead, eat things very high in potassium and low in sodium/carbs like fresh fatty salmon (a wonderful food btw), beef, spinach, carrots, and avocado. Make sure to eat lots and lots of veggies and fresh meats. Make sure you are properly hydrated - dehydration and losing water/electrolytes too rapidly exacerbate this problem.

Last edited by ItsTheWooo : Wed, Aug-18-04 at 09:03.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 13:17
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS DIET
Stats: 123/122.5/110 Female 5 something
BF:
Progress: 4%

its the woo.. thanks for the info..

i do feel the same way.. the tingling and feeling cold all over my body.. Its kinda scary.. so i'll probably just do the modified atkins diet instead going back and forth thru induction period.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 13:25
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi ItsTheWoo:

Thank you for confirming what I thought. There's balance to everything and while we want to control insulin, we don't want insulin levels to go too low due to the antagonistic actions of cortisol and adrenaline. I was certain I'd read my "theory" from SPII but I couldn't find her quote when push came to shove.

I find it very strange that the Atkins Center wouldn't have any knowledge of this. I did a search here and found several people with similar symptoms, so I find it hard to believe that they've NEVER come across it. Weird. At least I was able to tell them that increasing my carbs resolved the problem after they tried giving me the company line.... we don't diagnose problems.

Since I mostly get this when I'm lifting weights now (I'm not on Induction), it would be a good idea for me to carbup pre-workout.

Good thought about the electrolytes too. I've always supplemented with potassium and I drink 3 liters of water a day.

Thanks again,
Wanda
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 14:50
Registered Member

BF:

i just experienced it today and i was so scared that i immediately bought a vitamins and a low carb candy bar... coz i was thinking that my blood sugar went down so probably a candy bar would help a lot.

i kinda feel better now, but i felt drowsy awhile ago.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 16:33

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

Also, you might want to check for carpal tunnel. I've had it for years, and typing & repetitive movement all day results in tingling in my fingers. Also sleeping with my arms curled, I'll wake up and my arms are numb!

LL
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 16:47
Registered Member

BF:

i think its normal if you slept in a weird position to have a tingling sensation?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 06:00

BF:

Hi all,

thanks for all the input.

I dont feel cold or anything, its just a light tingling sensation and only in the hands about 30 mins after lunch (tuna salad) and it lasts for a few minutes I would say.

I'll up the carbs tomorrow for lunch and see what happens.

Geraldine