Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 06:19

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%
Exclamation Crestor: another FDA foulup

The following is an excerpt from Dr. Al Sears monthly healthnews report:

A new statin drug, Crestor, has hit the market. Clever television campaigns are targeting people who have "high" cholesterol. What the ads don't say is that a deadly condition called rhabdomyolysis is a potential side effect of Crestor. This condition was the reason the statin drug Baycol was taken off the market a few years back after 31 people died from this very dangerous side effect.

Today, you'll learn about the dark side of Crestor, the latest lethal statin drug. I'll also tell you how to improve your cholesterol safely.

* Petition to Ban Crestor *

On March 4th, the Public Citizens Health Research Group (PCHRG) petitioned the FDA to ban Crestor. During the clinical trials of Crestor, 7 people suffered from the life threatening condition rhabdomyolysis. Additionally, 9 other people suffered from serious kidney damage while taking the drug.

Here's the bewildering part of the story: Rhabdomyolysis was never observed in the pre-approval trials of Baycol. All cases of this lethal side effect occurred in users after the drug had been approved. Yet it was observed in the pre-approval testing of Crestor. After the outrageous approval of Baycol without knowledge and warning of the potentially fatal consequence of taking it and the subsequent nightmarish deaths, it defies all logic to approve Crestor. It has to make you wonder if the FDA is looking out for you or the prescription drug industry.

Wellpoint/Blue Cross, a major health insurer of about 15 million people decided not to cover the new drug on their formulary. Now there is news of additional insurers refusing to approve the use of this drug. Particularly since they can identify no unique benefit over existing drugs.

Baycol was approved in 1997. On August 8, 2001, Bayer recalled Baycol after documenting 31 cases of fatal rhabdomyolysis. Rhabdomyolysis is a condition that results in muscle cell breakdown. The content of the muscle cells is then released into the bloodstream. Symptoms of rhabdomyolysis include muscle pain, weakness, tenderness, fever, dark urine, nausea, and vomiting. The pain may involve specific groups of muscles, typically the calves and back. In other cases, the pain is generalized throughout the body. In fatal cases, the extent of muscle damage is so severe that renal and other organ failure occur.

My experience with statin drugs tells me that many people get muscle pain to a lesser extent. Most don't report it. When they do tell their doctor, he or she often fails to recognize it as a side effect of the statin drug. This is particularly troubling to me because it has the effect of making people who have high cholesterol less likely to exercise, the best cure for most cholesterol problems. When they do, they easily fatigue and their muscles get sore and are slow to recover.

* Who Needs A Statin Drug? *

Current guidelines indicate anyone with total cholesterol over 200 is a candidate for a statin drug. Yet total cholesterol is not the indicator to be concerned about as so much as the ratios. In contrast to what you here from the drug company sponsored studies, the best improvement to your cholesterol ratios comes from raising your HDL. Remember the best way to increase HDL (good) cholesterol is through exercise.

Safe, more natural methods exist to achieve healthy cholesterol ratios. If you are concerned about your cholesterol, adopt these healthy practices:

Exercise 20 minutes every other day
Eliminate trans fats from your diet (French fries, fried fish and chicken, commercially baked crackers and cookies, basically anything with hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated soybean oil)
Increase your omega-3 fatty acid intake with fish oils, avocados, nuts, olives and eggs. Yes eggs. They improve cholesterol ratios and are loaded with CoQ10 and Omega 3s.
Supplement with COQ10 and garlic.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 16:56
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Dear Eddie-
You provide such great info in your posts. Thanks- wish we could PM you!
Eno
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 21:59

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 225/214/180 Male 69 inches
BF:37%
Progress: 24%
Default Hit the nail on the head

Dear Eddie

My doctor in Canada just put me on Crestor 10mg. After 3 days, I took it upon myself to get off the drug because of side effects such as general lack of stamina and weakness. In Canada cholesterol is measured in mmol/litre and my HDL is 1.03 and my LDL is 4.17 for a ratio of 4.048 The doc told me that new guide lines now requires a total cholesterol of 3.5 mmol/litre. Crestor is suppose to be the drug which can nail two bird with one stone. That is to raise the good HDL and at the same time lower the bad cholesterol thus improving the overall LDL/HDL ratio. After reading some of the risks of crestor drug on the internet, I got scared and I decided to attempt fighting my cholesterol through some other means which led me to this site. I am 100% in agreement with what you said in your thead. I hope to be successful in reduding my chlesterol within acceptable limits without taking dangerous drugs.

Bigshot
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 21:19

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 160/160/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Talking If properly prescribed, it's a GOOD THING!

I've had borderline to high cholesterol for at least 20 years. When I've lost significant weight (20+ lbs.), I've lowered my total cholesterol but my HDL has bottomed out and my ratio actually has approached 5. I've never eaten a high fat diet, so I feel sure that I am just one of those who creates too much cholesterol naturally. A month ago, my cholesterol was 266 with an LDL of 182, HDL of 58, and a ratio of 4.6. Today, after 4 weeks on Crestor, 10 mg per day, I am PROUD to report a total cholesterol of 167 (LDL 81, HDL 61, ratio 2.7). I have made no other changes in lifestyle. I HAVE NO SIDE EFFECTS. ALL of my other blood work (creatine kinase: 183, hepatic function ALL within normal limits, ALL CBC values within normal limits) is superb.

The media creates panic when patients who have multiple health issues, or overly aggressive doctors who prescibe everything in the highest possible dose, develop disturbing side effects. In most cases, starting off slow and monitoring frequently can prevent many problems. EVERY drug has it's problems. More people will have reactions in the next year to aspirin, tylenol, and cough syrup than will develop problems with PROPERLY PRESCRIBED, MONITORED, AND ADMINISTERED CRESTOR.

If you have proper medical supervision and your doctor suggests trying low dose Crestor, please take his advise. Make sure that the doctor has you tested early on for liver enzymes and creatine kinase--these will show liver and muscle problems, if they're elevated.

Don't let the lawyers scare you into not trying something that may do you a lot of good--they're out to make money out of your fears and lack of knowledge--they don't care if you're healthy, or not.

If things turn sour for me, I'll re-post, but I'm feeling really good about this regimen.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 21:20

Dear Crestorluv

According to all statistics, I've read that all statins drugs have failed to make people live longer when compared to another equivalent group that wasn't taking the drug. I read that even after the cholesterol has been lowered by statin drugs, the arteries still clog up. I will try to loose about 45 lbs on PP diet and if that fail, then I will take statin drug. Thankyou for giving some positive insight.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 05:42

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default Better/safer/cheaper cholesterol solution

I lowered my total cholesterol from 308 to 184 in a very short period of time.
My wife lowered hers from 240 to 150 in 3 months.
Our plan:
1. two "better cholesterol" pills per day(take 30 minutes before eating
dinner)-available at www.getyoungagain.com
2. two 300 mg pantethine pills before bed-available at www.pantethine.net
This plan is safe and inexpensive.It has the side benefits of jacking
up the immune system and protection against various forms of cancer
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 21:32