Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 18:48

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 183/169/135
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Hello - I'm a Newby!!!!

Hello all I am a new one.
Hoping to get some cooking ideas.
I am a vegatable hater.
I am MISSING potato's & corn. lol
I was drinking about 6-8 coke's a day also, but I have not had one. I have already lost 10 pounds have another 25 to go.
Husband is on it also. So that helps.

Robin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 18:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 68.4/71.0/61
BF:
Progress: -35%

Hi RobinV

Welcome aboard I have been on this site constantly for the last few days, I am finding it so inspirational. Many of my friends and family have given me a hard time about this diet so it is nice to be able to surround myself with so much encouragement from people around the world.

I know what you mean about coke. I am a diet coke fiend and have been trying to cut back to 2 a day (considering I use to have 5 that is significant). I have also created a 'team challenge' with my small work team where we try to drink 2 litres of water a day while still at work. Today I have had 600ml diet coke and 1.8 litres of water and it's not yet lunch time!

I finish induction on Saturday but as I am sure Christmas day will be carb containing day I plan to stay on it for a few more weeks. I will be at the beach for most of next week and I am sure that will help to inspire me to keep going!

Cheers

Melsa
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 18:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi, Robyn! I was a Coke drinker too -- that's hard! (I'd have four a day.) I missed a lot of things at first, but you get used to it

You'll get a lot of menu ideas from reading through people's Journals and there are some great recipes on this forum -- check out the Tips page too (on the orange bar at the top of the page).

You've done GREAT so far. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 21:06

Plan: combination
Stats: 175/170/145
BF:
Progress: 17%
Post I'm new to this site...

I did the low carb program 2 years ago and lost about 25-30 pounds. Unfortunately, I strayed from the program and put it back on. Then I tried the Body for Life program but made it about half way through.

My downfall is pasta and bread. It made me so tired that after lunch I would be nodding off at my desk and then after dinner I would fall asleep for about 3-4 hours.

So I think the program that I'm following is Suzanne Sommers but I'm not having any complex carbohydrate bread products - just some veggies and lots of salads. Some mornings though, I'm having a couple of small mandarine oranges and black coffee. Then I don't eat until lunch - is this a bad thing?

I drink tons of water - 2 to 3 litres a day during the week - sometimes on the weekend not as much.

Can someone explain induction? I don't know if I've done it properly.

And one last thing... I cheated today and had a half of a rum ball...What do I do now??? I haven't eaten anything after the rum ball and the only thing I ate today was chicken wings with some sourcream.... Any advice or thoughts as to how many times you can get away with cheating? Can you cheat for a day? Do you have to go back into induction?

Lots of questions...

Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 10:08

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi Robin!
Welcome to the forum! You will find all kinds of locarb recipes here.
Thats great that you and hubby are both on this WOE. I live alone so I don't have to worry about alot of illegal foods around the house--- that makes it easier!
You've done great so far!! Keep it up!!
Ellie
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 10:11

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi Amanda---- Welcome too!
You should start your own thread under intros so you won't get missed and can get your questions answered. Theres lots of help waiting for you!
Ellie
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 10:34
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Amanda, the best thing you can do for yourself is pick a plan and stick with it. All are basically LC, but they are followed in a specific way for specific reasons. Unless you have read and really understand all the theories behind your combination plan, you will be confused and you probably won't be happy with your rate of loss.

For example, PP is lower in fat and shyer on dairy products than Atkins, and Sommersizing is food combining + low carbing. Sometimes you can't have the best of all worlds.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 10:42

BF:
Default Thanks for getting back to me!

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the reply. So I was sure that after reading Sommersize, that I had been following her plan - except for the complex carbs. I've lost 5 pounds in two weeks, what I'm doing can't be all that bad
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 10:56

BF:
Default New thread posted...

Hi Ellie,

Thanks, I posted my own thread....
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 11:08

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

hi Robyn, and welcome.

If you stay on plan, and get rid of artificial sweeteners, I bet you start to like veggies--they are SO sweet! A green pepper tastes like a candy bar to me, and cooked cauliflower is also very sweet. It's gotten to the point where I can't eat a bite of winter squash---waaaayyyyy too sweet.

I used to be a Coke addict myself. Now I have a rare glass of Diet Rite (only pop sweetened with sucralose in the US) and that's more than enough.

Best of luck to you.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 12:35

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 183/169/135
BF:
Progress: 29%

Thank you everyone and all for you support.
I am leaving Friday AM to go to our Deer Lease and will be gone until x-mas day.
We will not have any food there to tempt me, here I have alot, cause I have a 9 year old daughter.
Also, the day after x-mas, I am starting Ta-bo. Hopefully that will help knock off a few pounds too.

Thanks again
Robin