Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 10:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%
Question Baby Gender and Diet

Not really sure where to place this thread but I figure this is where it may be viewed by most people. I was searching the internet for info on gender prediction etc... and came across a small article from parentsplace.com which said that according to a British Journal "Practicing Midwife"...women who followed a vegitarian diet had greater chances of having female children..... It went into stats etc...don't know how much of it is true but I just thought it was an interesting thought... wonder if low carb has any bearing on gender??? Any thoughts??

PS... I know that there is no real way of 100% assurance of one gender over another (besides manipulating genetics etc...) I just thought it was interesting!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 12:30

Stats: 130.5/119.5/115 Female 4'10.5"
BF:32%/32%/22%
Progress: 71%

Well if thats true than I guess next go 'round I'll be having another boy (I already have 3) because there is no way in hell I'll ever be a vegetarian (well... unless I'd die or something if I didn't I guess).
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 12:36
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

I'm pretty sure that's impossible. Isn't the gender of a baby determined by the male, not the female? I think women have only female chromosomes (XX) while men have either (XY).

It's funny, anyway.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 12:42

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Well speaking from personal experience.... I have a 13 year old daughter and well, I ate meat at that point in my life. Since then I have been a vegetarian and had three boys. LOL I would say that blows that theory!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 12:43

[QUOTE=Hilary M]I'm pretty sure that's impossible. Isn't the gender of a baby determined by the male, not the female? I think women have only female chromosomes (XX) while men have either (XY).

True... but how is it determined whether the male's X or whether the males "Y" gets paired up with the female "X"??? hahahaa
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 17:07
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The x and Y sperm actually travel at different speeds and have a different weight. That is why they can put sperm in a cetrafuge to get a better chance of a specific gender.

I don't know about the vegatarian theory though. One possible explination could do with the acidity level of the female. The woman's body is a very hostile envoroment for sperm. When I was trying to get pregnant I read into what all has to occure at the exact right tiem to get pregnant. I was amazed anyone could do it, much less so many trying it for the first time

One thing I have noticed though is it seems older guys have girls while younger ones seem to have boys. This isn't true all the time of course, my SO is younge and we have a beautiful daughte.r It just seemed when I was still in school most of my friends were having boys with a girl being very rare, while among older couples girls were more common.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 17:24

Plan: generic low carb now
Stats: 210/212/145 Female 63
BF:plenty
Progress: -3%

This is my experience .. I have never been vegetarian and I was 22 & 24 when I had my boys but their father (my ex) was in his 40s ... But in his family they have mostly boys. He was one of 3 boys, and his father was one of 4 boys.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 17:55

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Quote:
One thing I have noticed though is it seems older guys have girls while younger ones seem to have boys.

That's interesting! I knew a couple, the fellow was in his 50s, and his second wife in her late 30s. In his first marriage he had 5 sons. In the second marriage, they had 4 daughters.

I came from a family that seemed to produce mostly one or the other (and everyone in my family are big meat eaters). My paternal grandmother had 5 boys and 2 girls. Two of her sons married and had children: my parents, 5 girls and 1 boy; my dad's brother 4 girls and 2 boys. I've had 4 girls and 1 boy, one sister 2 girls and 1 boy, and another sister had 1 girl. I was 25, 26, 29, 36 and 38 when my children were born, with the boy being last. My hubby's 9 months older than I am.

I knew a woman who had four daughters and she said her doctor told her that while the male determines the sex of the child (the chromosome thingy mentioned above) it was very possible for the woman to be the final deciding factor because of her body pH. I don't recall which he said was which, but one end of the pH spectrum tended to kill off one sex of the sperm cells.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 20:20

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 260/238.8/160 Female 5 ft 8 inches
BF:49%/48%/20%
Progress: 21%

There is actually a book out there called "How to choose the sex of your baby". A lot of scientific specifics on timing and ovulation. I know several people who have followed the "routine" and have gotten what they wanted. Basically, you deterimine your cycle and then based on what you want, it will tell you when to conceive. The whole thing is premised on the fact that the Y chromosone sperm are stronger and faster, yet will die sooner, the x chromosone sperm are slower but live longer...so right before you ovulate for a boy and after you ovulate for a girl. If anything...interesting reading.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 09:10

My DH has 2 boys (live with us), his brother has 2 boys, his sister has 2 boys, we have a boy dog (neutered) and alas.. I was finally able to get a girl dog(spayed)..... DH & I want kids....though a healthy baby is all anyone can ask for...I would LOVE to have a little girl...DH is convinced all he can do is make boys..hahaha I've done lots of reading etc about ovulation, timing etc... thats how I came across the info about vegitarians...made me think...what about carbs?? or lack of...

PS.. we haven't TTC just yet....but according to the Chinese Gender chart....I have a chance for girls Aug-Nov....hahahaha
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 09:17

Stats: 180/141/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 87%

All those ideas are all old wives tales.

Just like a certain position you are carrying the baby is a predictor or the date and time you conceive.

No way to predict.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 09:43

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

My Mom/Dad had 2 Boys at ages 24/26 and 30/33.
My Uncle had 2 Girls (twins) at age 42; and then 1 Boy at age 44
My Paternal Grandparents had 3 Boys at ages 25/29, 26/30, and 27/31
My Maternal Grandparents had 1 Boy at ages 21/26; and then 1 Girl at ages 26/31.

I have all the Geneological records my Grandfather had collected over the years, before he passed away. So, I've got records showing the approximate ages my ancestors back to the 17th Century [when they were still having 12 or more kids per mother] were when they had their kids and what Gender they were. I don't have time right now to analyze them, though.