Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 08:38

Plan: Paleo-Neander
Stats: 178/173/125 Female 5.6 in.
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default One Full Month.... and None pounds off... Help!!!!

I have been one month on Atkins diet, all this time my ketosis strips show that I am in it. My daily food intake goes:

Calories =1250 ( some days up to 1300)
Net Carbs =15g (around this number never higer than 20 just one day 22g)
Exercise = 6 times a week 1 hr. Cardio.
Water intake = 1 Galon a Day.

ps. I don't eat dairy or Vinagre in case I suffer from Candida, my tyroid is OK as it was just checked. I am very very sad and was hoping for someone to give me any idea what might be going on inside of my body that I dont loose weight? I mesure myself and lost almost none either.

_______ I edit this post to put as requested one day menu...

2 Eggs Fired................181 cal.........1 carb
1 Tbls Coconut oil.........117 cal........0 carb
2 oz green peper.......... 12cal.........3 carb
1 tbls Olive oil..............119 cal.......0 carb
1 oz lemon juice.............8 cal.........3 carb
1 clove garlic.................4 cal.........1 carb
1bag lettuce romain.......53cal.........8 carb
4 oz Steak w/fat...........187cal.......0 carb
2 tbls Flax Seeds..........118cal........8 carb
2 oz pork rings.............324cal.......4 carb

Total..............1224 cal.
Net carbs.......13g
Fiber..............15g
Water.............1 galon

I dont drink sodas of any kind, nor aspartame, nor caffein, nor any bars, only the atkins maple syrup.

I do put some salt in my salad, some fiber I add from Konysl that I supended 2 days ago (just in case). and I did change the quality of my exercise this past 2 weeks, all this month was 1 hr. of cardio but this is more intense and I do feel sore all over..

But still would I have lost at least 1 pound?

Last edited by cucu : Sun, May-16-04 at 15:39.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 08:42

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

You're not eating enough calories or carbs, Induction is 20 carbs, OWL is a little more. THe book has the weight loss plans. Are you drinking the water? Are you eating the veges? Are you getting the good fats in your diet? Can't tell by your post, but I'm the poster child for starving myself on low-cal, low-fat, look at me

I also work out an hour a day, and I've been stalled for weeks at 1200 calories a day.

LL
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 08:45

Plan: Atkins/Cigarettes/Coffee
Stats: 146/135/120 Female 5f 4
BF:Oink,Oin,O
Progress: 42%

(I posted about the same question u did this week)I havnt lost either but Ive lost many inches,muscle weighs more than fat Have you measured?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 10:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 221/200/121 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 21%

Add more fat, that will up your calories. It makes a huge difference on the scale.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 11:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/157/140 Female 55
BF:
Progress: 62%

fat fat fat fat, go for it pig out on some cream cheese. They are right the more fat you introduce will speed things right up. Just gotta get out of the low fat mindframe. Best of luck to you
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 11:43

BF:

Well I was doing 70% fat then up to 80% fat but I felt very sick and went back to 70%, now this past 2 weeks I was down to 60% since I stop eating cheese as I found out I was allergic. Maybe that I stop the cheese I could add more fat.

I did measure myself at the beginning and now I measure 2 inches less on waist, 2 less on stomach, 1 on leggs.. is that good enough?, I mean is good but how much inches does it make a full size of cloth? I might be totally wrong here by saying I didn’t loose much but somehow I lost perspective of things.

I am very negative today, sorry, but I was expecting a lot more, I do eat veggies since I love them, but I been only eating the allowed, I wouldn’t like to add more calories because I am scare that if at this point I don’t loose weight how I am going to do so with more.

I will start by adding more fat this week and see how I do, can someone explain what is the difference on:

20g. net carbs with 60% fat.
20g. net carbs with 80% fat.
with a totally of the same about of calories a day…?

I thought the point of the diet was the carbs under 20g and good amount of fat,-- not like only fat… I thought only fat (like fat fast) was for people with problems not getting into ketosis, and if I do this it seems that people gain the weight back once they go back to induction?..

I will add more fat and increase the exercise, I do drink a galon of water a day and don't eat any process drinks at all... Is so weird..

#7   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 12:15

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Post a daily menu for us to look at. Are you having any of the low carb bars or treats? Those stall a lot of people. I am in maintence and still can't handle those goodies very often.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 12:38
Registered Member

Stats: 211/175/155 Female 5"4"
BF:
Progress: 64%

[I]Hi There,
Have you tried drinking all the water you are suppose to drink? How about exercise? I go in spurts where I will loose three pounds then sit still for a bit. I have found that eating just the basics and not eating things with surgar alcahol or too much sweetner, I will loose weight. Good luck and don't give up - it works!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 12:41
Registered Member

Stats: 211/175/155 Female 5"4"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Congratulations on your success. Now the fun begins keeping the weight off and enjoying the world around you wilth your new way of eating.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 13:00

Stats: 432/370/220 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default CuCu

Heres my two cents for what its worth.....You say you have lost inches...well as much as you are exercising you probably are turning your fat into muscle and muscle weighs more than fat so therefore you show no weight loss but it shows up in inches lost as you become more fit...if this is the case and your doing enough exercise to form new muscles mass than 1200 calories is probably not enough to keep your body out of starvation mode....I would bump my calories to 1500-1800 and bring my Carbs up to 20 and ill bet you start losing weight...I have had several friends that turned over a new leaf and started exercising and dieting the same thing happened to them...they lost inches for the first month or so than began to lose weight...Big John
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 13:00
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Your food looks pretty good. I agree your fat is maybe a bit low. You could raise your calories a little, probably. But if you are feeling satisfied and not going hungry, you could leave them as they are.

Were you exercising before you got strict again? If not, that might be affecting the scale, particularly if you are doing weights or any type of strength training. Your muscles retain water when you're a new exerciser, or getting back to it after a long delay, and this can affect the scale. It's only temporary though.

You might also want to try not eating the pork rinds for a bit. They are very salty, and the rare ocassions that I have eaten them, I have always gone up a pound the next day on the scale.

Try watching the salt for 3 or 4 days and see if that has any affect.

Good luck. And hang in there. I know how frustrating it can be. Don't be embarrassed by yo-yoing with those five lbs in the fall. I did exactly the same thing after losing really well.

It's only been in the last few weeks I'm going down again. I think sometimes we are just not in the mental place we need to be. When this happens just try to make the best choices you can day to day. As you have discovered, your attitude invariably improves again, and you're ready to go!

Never be ashamed that your journey does not follow the path of someone else's. You're headed in the right direction and that's what counts!

If you perservere, you will make it!

Best of luck to you.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 15:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltingFst
Add more fat, that will up your calories. It makes a huge difference on the scale.

do you really think so, I am not hungry do... I could try do but I am kind of scare about that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjen72
Post a daily menu for us to look at.

I will post it in my initial Post up top, and I do have the fitday you can see for the past month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieBlue
as much as you are exercising you probably are turning your fat into muscle

Could that be? how long does it take to make muscle? I thought it took like 3 months to make 1 pound of real muscle. But then again I changed the kind of exercise I was doing to a hi Kickboxing hour and my whole body hurts, I was looking into some post into that information, and how it has on retaining water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaillean
Try watching the salt for 3 or 4 days and see if that has any affect.

I will stop the pork rings and bacon and see if this is the problem... Thanks.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 18:52

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I agree with Kaillean about the pork rings and adding salt. This causes your cells to retain water. It will look like you haven't lost weight or even at times that you have gained weight--it's just water weight fluctuation. If you feel your waist getting thinner, believe me, you're losing fat.

The maple syrup--I don't know if it has splenda or sugar alcohols, but either can stall weight loss. Sweet things, whether low-carb or not, can trigger insulin spikes.

More saturated fat will help you lose weight, and one of the easiest sources is coconut oil, which you already have. Just make sure that it is pure and unprocessed (not bought in a supermarket.) If you need quality sources for coconut oil let me know and I'll post some.

I know many people here talk about the importance of exercise, and I'm certainly not criticizing that. But I've been losing weight continuously since January without much more physical activity than walking from my car across the parking lot to the store and back, and up and down the stairs a few times a day. The weight will come off if the food is right.

Howard
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 22:44

BF:
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZ
But I've been losing weight continuously since January without much more physical activity
Howard

Hey Howard, thanks I have seen you on post on NeanderThin and well this post just re-inforce my theory about the food I should avoid (in mycase) that I have seen how my body is just directing me togards a more clean diet, tomorrow morning I will start quiting this items that I think where the onlyones that didnt agree with Neanderthin

Maple Syrup (splenda)
Pork Rings
Mayo (sometimes I ate a spoon of it)..

I will aslo add more saturated oil, it wont hurt if you post the link of a good source, at this point I am eating this one, is this good? coconut

I was also reading something about high levels of "Cortisol" as a response of too much exercise, a very stress body and mind can actually elevate "cortisol" and stop you from loosing weight...... So I will rest more time from now on. Thanks..
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 22:59
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

yes, more fat, more leafies...and fyi, flax seeds/meal have no carbs, it's 100% fiber.