Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 23:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 137/137/120
BF:
Progress:
Talking Will Somebody PLLLEEAASSEE answer??

Hi there!

I have posted b4....I didn't get any responses , that's ok, I really hope somebody will answe this.

I am not FAT technically. I am about 137, and 5'6. I want to go dwn to about 120-125.

My question then is "is this diet for me" I have completed day one, and let me tell you I must be in ketosis b/c I can;t rid myself of this awful taste in my mouth.

Also, I have never been more thirsty in my life. I drank over4.5 liters of water today! Is this normal? My goodness....can you imagine all that water? lol!!!

So there you have it...I want to know if this diet is only for those that have over 100+ to lose, or if can be used by people like me who need to lose about 20 or so! And, is it ok that i am drinking so much h2o? is this normal?

Please tell me if you know, please somebody HEEELLPP!!!

Take good care,
Andrea
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 23:55

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default answers

hi andrea, and welcome.
i know how you feel, and i understand your frustration. i'm not sure why your previous post went unanswered, but i will try to help. be aware, however, that the answer may not be what you want to hear. (that's not a bad thing, though)
first of all, this is a way of eating, not a quick fix. i am not sure if you have ventured into any other areas of this web page, but the webmasters here have provided a huge amount of information, personal experiences, and educational resources.
it really doesn't matter how much you have to lose, but keep in mind the percentage has a significant effect. if you only have 20 or so pounds to lose, then each pound is 5%. thats alot.
drinking water is fine. your not going to hurt yourself.
the taste in your mouth is a good sign.
remember that for so many years, you have been brainwashed into believing that low fat/cal is the way to go. it may take a while to "unthink" these ideas.
read as much as you can. get the books. read the journals, find information for yourself.
i hope i've answered some of your questions. i, too, have little to lose compared, but my addiction to sugar and carbs was up there with the best of them.
hope you stick around, we would love to join you on your journey.
b
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 23:55
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Andrea,

I saw in an earlier message that you wear size 5? Here's the important question on what you should do, and what you need to lose: what is your body fat percentage? Many people who are at the weight most charts say they should be at are still fat! This is mostly due to muscle loss. For this reason, body fat is needed to see where you are compared to your "ideal" weight.

Is Atkins right for you? Maybe. Have you read it? Are you comfortable with it? It's NOT only for those with 100+ to lose. Some follow it as a way of life even when they reach goal weight.

You may want to check other plans and compare them to see which one is best for you. Visit our low-carb plan comparison page, and once you have a feel of which one is right for you, make sure you get the book and read it through.

If it turnes out your lean body mass is low, a CKD diet might be best to build mucles while losing weight.

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 00:06

BF:
Progress:

Hey girls, thanks soooo much!

Ok, I can sometimes wear a size 5, or 7 or 9....
it's a bit starnge. My body has a LOT of fat on it though...I can tell you that right now! Lots of flab everywhere....am I correct in the understanding that this diet will help me lose theat yucky flab?

I just know that I have to cut out the carbs, b/c there is no such thing as eating them in moderation for me! I am addicted, I carve more and more, so this is the only way to go, I think!

I feel confident that I will lose the 20 lbs...and I can't wait! I am so happy that you are here on this journey alongside me...

Take good care,
Andrea
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 08:36

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by AndreaT
My body has a LOT of fat on it though...I can tell you that right now! Lots of flab everywhere....am I correct in the understanding that this diet will help me lose theat yucky flab?

LC will help you lose weight, and most of it will be body fat, however if you truly want to lose body fat you need to do some weight training. LC encourages the of building lean muscle mass and the loss of body fat, building some lean muscle mass with weights will increase your metabolism and burn fat while you go about your daily life. Bulking up is really not an issue for women, it would take too much work and more likely than not some drugs; so dont worry about that. Incorporating the two (weight training and LCing) will ensure you lose body fat and not lean muscle and that you keep your metabolism humming along. You'll also feel so much better. If you're interested I can provide some links on the benefits of weight training.

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 17:45

BF:
Progress:

Nat you are so right...I used to weight train, and I am going to get back into it pronto....thanks so much for all the support I have recieved from here, I never imagined people could be so caring!

Take good care,
Andrea