Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 19:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/185/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Options for Thanksgiving

As I see it, I have 3 choices for Thanksgiving:
1. Eat just lots of turkey and veg
2. Eat lots of turkey and veg, and a little bit of the high carbs. (no dessert)
3. Make myself some low carb side dishes, like sausage dressing and creamed cauliflower.
Obviously choice 3 is the best and my daughter-in-law wouldn't mind my bringing it. But should I make enough for everyone at the table? What do you think and how are you planning for the holiday?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 20:09

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

Gonna do the Turkey, veggies, Some broccoli I make in a swiss cheese sauce ala Julia Child's cookbook, ONE BITE of dressing (it's my husband's grandmother's recipe--she's gone now-- it's to die for--and I'm the only one who bothers to make it ) so one bite!

That will do.

YB
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 20:09

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Creamed califlower is a big hit whether you're a low carber or not!

We do our Thanksgiving in Oct. And we had the traditional turkey with a sausage and squash stuffing (a little whole wheat bread in the stuffing, but not much), mashed turnip and bit o' broccoli for a 'green' something on the plate.

We *bagged* the turkey to cook it and then boiled down the juices for gravy - it was delicious.

I made homemade pumkin pie so I could control the sweet (I spenda'ed it) and real whip cream.

My only decadence was the bit of bread in the stuffing and the crust on the pie (store bought -frozen)

Enjoy yourself!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 20:20

BF:
Progress:

Oh, that's right-- you guys up north already ahd your Thanksgiving! How was it? Sounds good. One thing I love about LC-ing is that I buy a few cookbooks once in awhile that are French food. My favorite food in the whole world and is very scarce down here. So I get recipes from Julia, Wolfgang Puck, Jacque Pepin, and whatever else I can get my hands on. Back when I was LO-fat, lo-fat all the time I'd feel so guilty if I made a french dish, but on Lo-carb, all the cream and butter fits right in!!

Most of the stuff in these books I can HAVE! OK- no french bread or truffles with Grand Marnier in them.

Only thing about this kind of food is that it takes ALL DAY to cook some of it, and you'd better take advil BEFORE you start up with your whisk!LOL! (All those hollandaise and bearnaise sauces.)

When I'm in the right mood, though and have the time--YUM.

YB
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 20:36

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

French cooking is very high fat - but not always low carb. *sigh*

I spent 10 years in Quebec where I remember cooking with Pol Martin - (haven't thought about that in years). I hung out with his daughter and somehow got invited to a dinner party he was giving one night. He dragged me up *front* where he was dishing up some flambe with strawberries - anyway I got to stir something he was concocting.

He's probably better known in Canada - and Quebec particularly -but he used to have his own cooking show, kitchen shop, and he's put out a bunch of cookbooks.

Anyway, butter galore, sauces galore, fatty meats YUM, but the pastries - ahh the pastries -

I learned to make real french chocolate eclaires while in Quebec - I still remember how - but I've forgotten how to eat them!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 21:54

BF:
Progress:

Pol Martin. No, he(??) is not one I know. I also get a lot of recipes off the cooking channel on tv. But, that's what I like about cooking it myself, anymore. Way more regulating the ingredients. You're right --sigh--no truffles, no pastries. That's kind of OK with me, though-- honestly, sweets have always made me FEEL bad. It just took lo-carbiong to make me reaslize that.

I think I read somewhere in her that salty things were always your thing, not sweets. DITTO. Thought I'd miss my chips, until I found pork rinds. And you should SEE the disgusted looks I nget in the checkout line, with 3 bags of those babies in my basket!
yb
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 07:13

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default salad

I don't see your mention about salad....but that always helps fill up the plate if you don't use a side dish.

I always find that if your plate is full....people seem to leave you alone. It's when they think you're not eating that they want to add more to your plate.

I'd even consider taking a salad, if your relatives don't usually make one, but it's proably best to get the okay first...some people do get touchy when people bring food they haven't planned in their menus. Salad for everyone...who could resist homemade salad??
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 08:36
Registered Member

Stats: 181/167/130
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally posted by LC Sponge
I made homemade pumkin pie so I could control the sweet (I spenda'ed it) and real whip cream.

OK, a question here. How did you figure out how much Splenda to use? I mean, pumpkin already has carbs, so do the eggs, and so does the evaporated milk, so you know it's not going to be REALLY low-carb, but I'm willing to try to reduce the carbs as long as I don't mess up the taste or texture.

I'm in charge of the pumpkin pies this year. I had basically decided to not worry about what I ate this holiday; just try to be reasonable about portions. I'll probably have to restart induction when I get home from Thanksgiving with my family, but that's OK.

Last week-end, though, I had company and made a "normal" pumpkin pie. I had some (and a few other things that had high carb counts) and woke up the next morning with a rather nasty headache. Advil took care of the headache, so I think I should be OK at Thanksgiving (don't want to ruin my visit by being sick!). I'm willing to try a pie with a few substitutions, though, to make sure that I don't have such a strong reaction, and this week-end is a perfect time to experiment.

Did you get your recipe off the recipe area here or figure it out on your own? I use the Libby's pie recipe and would prefer not to monkey with it too much.

Thanks for your help.

#9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 16:48

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Pumpkin Pie

I assume you're making baked pumpkin pie. Here's the recipe I make, which I found last year on lowcarbluxury. Compare it to your high carb recipe...I think you'll find it's very similar.

If I were going to make the pies for a group...I'd probably make one lowcarb (if that's enough for the lowcarbers), and make everyone else's full of poision!! (sugar) Strange though, the last time I went to make highcarb cookies, I didn't have any real brown sugar in the house.

httP://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-cake08.html

If you haven't checked out Karen's recipe for a Chiffon Pumpkin Pie, it's a delightful treat.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 17:31
Registered Member

Stats: 181/167/130
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Thank You!

Hey, thanks Sharon.

I'm going to have to "test" this one before we head home for the holiday. I'm supposed to bring two pumpkin pies, but I might try just this pumpkin mixture in a casserole dish, in lieu of a crust, for my personal consumption. I know that the two whole pies will get eaten up.

Thanks again.