Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 05:25
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%
Angry Warning!!!! Cooked Veggies At Cm

WARNING!!!! COOKED VEGGIES AT CM

Cooking vegetables concentrates the natural sugars for even CM allowed vegetables and might cause raised insulin levels and increased hunger levels for some CAs.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 08:24
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Where did you hear this? Cooking does break down the cell walls making the sugars/starches present more digestible, but it also makes some of the NUTRIENTS more readily absorbed as well.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 10:45
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Plum mentioned it, then Anne, then I caught on to what they were doing to me. Cabbage soup and no weight loss and more hunger. Cooked veggies and no weight loss. No cooked veggies at CM and weight loss. Then I read on Atkins food list if you have a vegetable that cooks down a lot (i.e., cabbage, spinach, greens), you need to measure and count carbs uncooked.

I wonder if this is why the soup diet didn't work for a lot of people, lol!!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 11:44
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Well, you can't release more carbs than a food HAS, and being pretty low in carbs in total, I sincerely doubt cabbage and other greens are the culprit.

Actually, most people I've discussed the topic with have reported that a nice hot serving of veggies seems more satisfying than a cold bowl of salad... <shrug> To each their own, but I only commented because the tone of the original post might scare newbies who are already unsure of themselves off eating cooked veggies.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 12:06

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

I do think something to keep in mind is that some vegetables, such as spinach, REALLY cook down, so measuring them raw is important. (Not to mention, two cups of cooked spinach would probably keep you in the bathroom all day.)

If you want to minimize the breakdown of cellulose, lightly steaming or sautéing your veggies is a great way to go. I think they taste better that way, anyway. Other than in soup, I think cooked-to-death vegetables are nasty.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 13:59
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

There is one semi Lc plan that covers this. It lets you have carrots and a few other vegies that Atkins and CAD limits, but they have to be raw, you aren't allowed to have them in cooked or processed form. Can't remember which diet covers this though. A woman talked about it in a thread in the general LC forum when compairing LC plans.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 14:30
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

SPII and Montignac are plans that differentiate between certain vegetables being cooked or raw.

On SPII - carrots and tomatoes count as a starchy carb if they are cooked but as a basically free vegetable when they are raw.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 06:58
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Some people are more sensitve than others with some CAs among the most sensitive. Everyone is different.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 07:45
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I eat most of my veggies cooked, and am a major veggie person so I have alot of them lol...
so far it has not effected my weight loss at all
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 07:47

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%

I too have heard that boiling veggies for a long time like in soups will concentrate the sugars. I think that is why the Heller's don't really have any soups listed in their books, except for RM recipes. The extra sugars end up in the broth and this is where the problem is. If you want to have a suup you can precook your veggies in water or saute them first and add to broth, but don't do any more cooking in the broth. I learned this a long time ago from others who were on CAD/CALP.

They might mention more about this in their new book , "The 7 Day Low Carb Rescue and Discover Plan..
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 09:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/197.0/160 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Who/knows/or cares
Progress: 14%

Why would this be do you think? Easier to digest if they're cooked?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 09:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

I was wondering about this. When I cook green beans, i do them southern style and cook them to death with a little onion and some bacon grease. They're quite yummy, so i was curious if this caused them to be more carby. hmm..
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 16:16

Plan: my own
Stats: 297/159/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Cooking wouldn't make much difference, unless by shrinking the volume, you end up eating more.... Green beans have more natural sugar in them than some other vegetables. It helps to look at a carb table and compare.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/low-carb-tools/carb_counter.html

-DusterCat
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 16:31
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Cooking breaks down the fiber and makes both the nutrients and the carbs more readily digestible/accessible. Cooking southern style is akin to predigestion, IMHO...not that I don't love green beans and greens that way, lol!! Ever notice that green beans southern style and green beans lightly steamed taste completely different? Yes and you can eat more and quicker too, lol!!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 17:07
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Zuleikaa - Have you ever noticed a difference between whole green beans and French cut green beans? Years and years ago, I did Weight Watchers and the regular green beans were a limited vegetable, while the French cut ones were unlimited - when I asked what the difference was I was told that because when they are French cut a lot of the little pods in the middle fall out and that is the part that holds the sugar content. They used to sell both kinds frozen and once I knew what I was looking for I could see the little pod, you can see this too on fresh beans if you slice them vertically a few times this little bit often falls out.