Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 22:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/129/118 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default What was your motivation to exercise?

I want to start exercising to get toned for the summer time but the problem is that I can't get motivated to go. See, I have a membership to the Y and I never go. Can you believe that, I pay $50 a month for something that I don't even use. Should I cancel my membership and try something else. I really want to start burning more fat. Does exercising speed up the results of this diet, or does it leave you tired and useless. What made you go?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 22:59

Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I am a person who needs to have exercise staring me in the face! I would never get up and go to a gym or the Y, it's too time-consuming. But I have a treadmill right in the living room and a trainer to ride my bike indoors. I have weights right in my bedroom. Maybe you would be more motivated that way?

Summer is easier when it's nice to stroll around town and use my bike instead of car. I even have a bike trailer for my little guy.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 23:12

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 200.6/156.8/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:Flabby
Progress: 54%

Well, I had a membership to 24hr Nautilus and I never went. I feel sick just thinking about how much money I gave them for nothing. Anyway, I signed up for fitness classes at a local college at the begining of the year and they have been working for me. It's low pressure, low cost and structured enough for me not to miss classes.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 23:55

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

yes, exercis speeds up results, and even better, it makes your body LOOK better. Not to mention all the long term health benefits... The only way to really do it is to start, and don't stop, even though you want to. It helps if you have a friend to do it with you, or at least a person from this forum as a buddy.
For me, i have to make it a part of my daily routine. When you first start it's always the hardest. But you have to stick with it (just like you stick with lo-carbing!!) After a while (for me, anyways) you will hopefully feel guilty and physically yucky if you miss a scheduled routine.
good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 04:51

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

My dh is my motivation to exercise. He still looks like he did in high school! But 3 days a week, we do our weights together in the basement. I do a FIRM video and he does his own routine. The other days we run, though not together.

Originally, it was something we could do together for a little more time w/ each other. Now, I love to exercise because of the way I feel. It's still hard for me to get up and do it, but I know that if I feel good, I'm less likely to cheat. If I don't ex., then I feel like a slug and just want to eat allllll day!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 05:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/167/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 53%

at first it was a pain to get started because i have to wake up earlier to do it, but i wanted to make my weight loss more consistent so i just sort of forced myself to do it. i use an exercise bike and i make sure i have something really good to watch on tv to distract me. the thing that motivates me now is the scale....when i dont feel like doing it, i remind myself that it is working ....
just start out slow and work up to however long you want to work out for.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 05:05
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

I had no motivation when I started exercising. But I knew I had to move it in order to lose it.
So my motivation is both my boys.

I'm just now starting to be able to keep up with them at the park. I don't want to lose that, especially since soon they'll be all grown up and moved away.

My 2nd motivation, the fact that I've lost 20 pounds in 16 days cause of exercising.

I want to keep losing and though I wake up not feeling like doing a workout I do it anyways.

#8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 05:20

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

For me it's like a feel-good drug, much better than any anti-depressant, caffeine, or even chocolate! I start the day with high intensity exercise, which leaves me feeling great for rest of the day. And then there's the added bonus of weight loss/weight maintenance associated with it
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 07:09

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I, too, have trouble getting motivated. Mostly it's a lack of time, but you all are inspiring to me.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 07:58

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I've blown money on gym memberships in the past and rarely used them. I've got 5 kids now and there's just no way I could haul them all up to a gym to get a workout in. I use the Firm, Tae-Bo, and Winsor Pilates. The first couple of weeks, it was all I could do to fumble through a video three times a week. Now, I'm feeling so much stronger and I'm able to do so much more. Today was supposed to be a rest day for me...but I got up this morning actually *wanting* to exercise...so I popped in the Tae-Bo video. I'm up to about 5 days/week on average. I'll probably add in another day soon. I'm not losing weight any faster (in fact, I haven't lost any in over two weeks), but the inches are coming off and I'm looking much more toned and firm. I'm starting to see some definition in my arms instead of just flab. I don't care what the scale says...it's the size of my clothes that matters to me. I have a bulging disc in my back that used to bother me all the time. Now it only really bothers me on the days that I don't work out. So, I guess for me...I'd have to say my biggest motivation is the RESULTS. It's hard to get started...but once you start seeing positive changes, you won't ever want to quit!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 11:14

Stats: 222/207/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I also have my DH and son to thank, they both work out faithfully. DH has back problems unless he does. Our gym has everything, pool, weight room, kids room, yoga, lots of variety. But I stayed in the pool for a year. Did water aerobics for a long time. Worked up the nerve to ask a trainer to show me around (get one free w/membership) took me a year to ask. BUT wasn't comfortable with a stranger, didn't remember anything he told me and then the next day couldn't identify the equipment I was supposed to use. Practically left the "Big Room" in tears. Didn't go back until DH and son agreed to stay with me until I was comfortable. There something about your kid looking at you, eye to eye, saying like he means it "I know you can do just one more Mom, just one more". Boy the tides turn don't they, seems I used to be the one telling him that.

Now, that I've been in the big room for awhile, DH took me into the free weight section or what we call the mens area. There are a few women in there but they can be intimidating. I'm trying one exercise for the waving arm syndrome.

Even on the nights I don't feel like going one or the other of my guys beg, whine, plead or bully me into getting my bag and heading out. I'm always glad when I do.

I'd given up the pool for the big room, you only have so many days in a week. We work out Wed. & Fri. night after work and early Sun. morning. But I missed the water, that was something I always enjoyed and did just for me. I also missed the companionship of the other women in the class. So 3 weeks ago I added the water aerobics to Mon. night. It's suprising what you can find time for when you really want something.

DH is a hunk and 19 yr. old son has lost over 100 lbs. doing low carb and exercise. What 2 great motivators.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 11:31

Stats: 192/155/145 Female 5'6"
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 79%

I have to be near the gym in order to work out. Also, in the middle of the day I find it easy to work out when I have extra time or a no-show appointment.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 11:33

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

My motivation is thinking about how good I USED TO be at basketball, then thinking that I'll be in better shape soon than I ever was back then.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 12:45

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I have a NordicTrack folded up and behind the bedroom door. I use to use it every night. But I started working a lot of OT and didn't have the energy when I got home. Then I got a dog (German Shepard) and my dog loves to go for a walk. Every night about 7:00 she starts jumping on me and sitting by the cabinet where I keep her leash. I feel bad if she doesn't get her walk. So, I every night we walk at a very fast pace for 2 miles. I get fresh air, exercise and my dog loves me for it.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 13:32
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I hate exercising! I did not exercising through my major loss. Only recently have I started going to the gym. My goal, to tighten up all the loose parts! You know what? I maybe be building in some good mussels now but that loose skin is still there. My second reason, and the best reason to go, the more mussel mass you have the more food you can eat. Thinking this will help me over the rought spots in life, when I haven't been as good as I should be.