Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 21:05

Plan: general low carb with a l
Stats: 151/150/120 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 3%
Question lo carbing with a cold?

I'm new to lo carbing and to this forum. I have a question I'm hoping someone can help with. What cold products won't blow the diet? Are there any good lo carb throat lozenges/cough drops out there? I've never been able to stay on a diet when I'm sick. This cold season, I'd like to be prepared. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 07:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

I had a terribly cold last winter and went to my pharmacist and asked if there was any sugar free cough syrup. Sure enough diabetics must need cough syrup? There was! In fact I took the last bottle. Worked well for me

You might want to think of a flu shot too. I get one every year and it seems to help keeping colds and flus away!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 08:23

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Emsy, as Wendy suggested be sure you get things made w/o sugar. As with all things LC it's best to read the labels Even before LCing I had a problem with cough syrops, I found one called "Delsym" that I could actually endure, turns out it's sugar free to boot!

Good news, having lived through a nasty cold in october I found it much less debilatating than previous colds had been. Viruses love sugar, it stands to reason that if we're not eating sugar then they're not going to do as well.

Hope you're feeling better soon,
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 11:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/271/160
BF:
Progress: 16%

I, too, had a cold recently. Actually, my whole family got it and they were SICK! I'm usually the one who gets it the worst and lasts the longest, but not this time. Changes ... I kept exercising even though it was hard to get out of bed, I took extra vitamin C, and I stuck to my low carb woe ...

I still had the sore throat and headache, and had to blow my nose frequently, but it didn't turn nearly as grungy and ucky as the others ...

I like to use that old fashioned vapo-rub ... it keeps my nasal ways clear at night and seems soothing (I guess because it was Mom always made me use when I was a kid). And since it's not ingested ... no carbs! Also, saline nose drops ... be careful, though, they're addictive.