Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 12:19
Registered Member

Plan: THE ZONE
Stats: 248/240/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 8%
Default Gap=Crap?

So the other day I decided to go shopping for some new jeans. All of my size 18 clothes are starting to look really sloppy on me and I felt inspired to try my hand at size 16. I was happy to learn that the Gap stocks size 16 and headed on down. WELL....6 pairs of pants later I finally found a pair that kind of fit and that was really stretching it (pardon the pun). So I left discouraged and accepted the fact that I had over-estimated my progress. Anyway, I went shopping today and was able to fit quite easily into size 16 clothes of 3 different brands. GO Me! I think I'm going to send the Gap my psychiatrist bills for my low self-esteem issues!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 12:21
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

You know what...I bought a pair of Gap size 12 jeans. I am fitting very comfortably in size 12 dress pants and other jeans, but the Gap ones are still super tight. Like, it hurts to button them up.

My conclusion? I may have accidentally bought hip-huggers (the label doesn't say, but the rise sure looks small) or The Gap's jeans just run really small. Try another store!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 12:25
Registered Member

That's true, they were pretty low. They were so tight my body was tingling with relief for an hour after I took them off!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 12:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

well, i don't know how old you might be, but gap seems to be designed for the younger girl....not young woman, i said younger girl. i always need bigger sizes there than most other places, so don't worry about it--they are just made for girls without hips!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 12:29

Plan: lc plan
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 0'0
BF:
Progress: 86%

I find that gap does run about a size smaller than it's sister stores- bannana republic & old navy. try the ones with the "Stretch" in them. i always have to buy a size smaller b/c they stretch a LOT, especially in the butt area (on me) so after wearing them for a few hours i have sagging denim back there
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 12:29
Registered Member

I should have known from the models they use, they all have the bodies of a 9 year old boy. I on the other hand have hips that could handle triplets.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 13:54

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Amen to that!!! The models they use are stick thin and I dont like my 9 yr old dd watching the commercials even. I dont know what kind of jeans I will try when I am ready. I am thick in the waist, long in legs, and shorter in the midriff.....meaning, gut issues.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 14:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/218/145 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

On the jeans issue...

I really love the Levi Strauss brand jeans that Wal-Mart carries. I like the boot cut, they aren't really low rise AND they are stretch jeans. I also find that they run a little big (I think). I have a size 16 that I've been thinking of downsizing to a 14, but tried on a 16 of another brand and could hardly button them up! Talk about discouraging! Anyway, you might try them out.

Ali
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 14:05

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

Is boot cut the kind with a little flare at the bottom?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 14:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

You know, I thought the Gap was getting with the times wehn they were advertising their new spring line up - they had madonna and that Missy Elliott girl, who is quite heavy, and I figured they were carrying the larger sizes - NOPE!...still the stick people sizes!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 14:21
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

What I hate is as soon as you get below a size 12, they assume you must be thin :P I wear a size 8 usually, and most of the clothing I can find is either tight, revieling, or ment for teens. I don't think I want to go out in a mid drift and low riding jeans just yet. Belive me, it's not as much fun as you think when you start to get down to the smaller sizes.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 14:23

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

It probably means that the Gap hasn't caught up to the other stores in the trend of "vanity sizing":

Clothing Sizes aren't what they used to be
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 14:45

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

Boy, it really does matter what store you go to for your "shopping pleasure".

There are some pants that are so tight in the leg, I couldn't even consider getting them on, while others in the same size at another store are fine.

Obviously, I'm not in the anexoric crowd (or the pre-pubsecent) any more (and, yes, my spelling is probably deplorable)
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 15:02

Stats: 148/125/121 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default ohhh jeans!!!

OH!! I hate shopping for jeans!! Jeans and (sorry guys) bras. You try on 40 pairs before you find one that fits somewhat decent.
I wish you all the luck finding some that fit and are comfortable. For me, some of the Bill Blass's are comfy. We have a store here called Dress Barn. They have lots of cute clothes for women who look like women and not a pre-teen. I have been there, done that, and don't want to go back! lol
wishing you a sunshine day!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 15:24

Stats: 160/160/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%

My problem with the Gap jeans (and a lot of jeans these days for that matter) is that they're cut really small through the thighs. I'll find a pair that fit the waist but are really tight in the thighs. If they fit through my thighs, they're too big in the waist. Also, I'm all for pants with a little stretch or give in them, but the ones they make now are ridiculous. If you buy them to fit in the store, an hour after wearing them they're sagging in the butt and your crotch is at your knees. The other option is to get them tight in the store, but then you have to leave the house looking like a hooker because each time you wash them they'll shrink up and will take an hour of wearing to stretch them again. I'm tired of doing squats to stretch out my pants. What happened to good old fashion denim?

On another note...if you want to feel good about the size you wear, shop at Ann Taylor. I'm a pretty consistent size 10 in most brands but wear a 8 and sometimes even a 6 in Ann Taylor. When I was this same size a few years ago (5'5" approx 160 lbs), I was always a 12. Sizes have definitely changed.