Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 20:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 356/341/240 Male 78"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default g'day All

Well, I've been doing Atkins for about 4 months now, lost a lot of wait, not 100% certain of what my final weight will be (will let my Doctor determine that).

I noticed a few threads where people were talking about things they couldn't give up etc etc. I thought I would share my "start" to my diet.

I have a membership with CostCo. I had decided to try Atkins after reading a story about it on another forum "/. if you know what that is". A few days later I went to CostCo, and bought what I though were better things. Meats (of course), some carrots, oranges, yogurt and milk. I had ordered the books already and was waiting impatiently for them to arrive and just decided to get started.

Well.. a couple nights later I spent a few hours and read alot on the atkins website about what I could and couldn't have, and well... other then the meat I bought, none of it I could have. I was actually quite shocked to find that Milk was so high in Carbs. So, I gave all the food that I couldn't have to my surprised aunt. Except for the one opened bag of milk. I figured that if I had a small (very small, 2 oz glasses) glass of milk every couple of days I would just finish it.

Milk is a weakness for me. I absolutely love the taste of it, especially when its cold. I can turn down anything when its offered to me, but leave it within my grasp and I'll succumb to my desires. Day one and two I had the small glass, day three I had two small glasses, and day four I finished the bag. The lesson I learned is that I really need to avoid having the stuff here.

Now, I think I could avoid the Milk if it was in the fridge, but since I live alone, I won't buy any. Anyways, when I got the book, it turned out that I had ordered the wrong one, but through the website, and what was in that book, I figured out most of what I had to do, and a couple of months later I found out that my Dad had the right book and let me use it (where I learned some more details).

Anyways, just thought I would share this with everyone here.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 04:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/173/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

hey it looks like your doing good keep it up.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 15:25

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

It's not reallythe same but you could try unsweetened soy milk. It's OK in coffee or tea and not too bad in shakes. If you drink it alone it needs a little artificail sweetener to improve the taste. Also you can have small amounts of heavy cream in coffee etc.

Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 17:06
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hello and welcome to the forum! Best of luck to you!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 17:26

Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%

Welcome! I know how you feel about milk. I keep some on hand for the kids, but I have gotten to the point where it doesn't call to me anymore. You can get there, too.

Best of luck!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 20:14

Stats: 356/341/240 Male 78"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Thanks

I'm planning on trying the "boring plain old" soy milk.

See how it works.