Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 11:16

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%
Default What ratio of carbs should come from veggies....

fruits and nuts? And what ratio should come from things like cheese, cream, eggs, etc? What about lc breads? Does Atkins address this question in his newer books? I think I have an older edition of DANDRE. I know he doesn't address it in Atkins for Life - unless I missed it. I don't think I've been getting an acceptable ratio. You can see my journal for a better explaination of this. Thank you for any advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 11:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

It would have to really be a guessimate. But if you plug in a clean average induction menu into fitday you come out at about 3-5% carbs per day I would guess that of those 2-4% should be vegetables and the remainder be cheeses, nuts, and other sources of fats that contain carbs.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 11:35

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Then 50% would be acceptable? So, that would mean I've been doing okay. Should the ratio go up as you add carbs?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 12:31
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

You know, 50% or less does sound reasonable now that I think about it. I mean, 3 cups of salad only equals maybe 4 or 5 carbs, maybe a little more depending on which salad veggies you choose.

I know people who have limited their "other carbs" to 10 a day, then ate as many veggies as they wanted, rounding out to about 20 or 25 carbs total.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 13:15
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

If you are having fruit and nuts, then it's safe to assume your not in induction. This probably means you should have a slightly higher percentage of carbs and lower fat.

The majority of your carb based foods should be veggies. They may not make up the majority of your carbs though because they are so low carb. While you may only have a couple servings of nuts and fruit, they would equal higher carb grams then the veggies.

I'd say instead of worrying about percentages of the grams, make sure that the majority of carb based food your eating in a day is veggies, with only a small serving of other carbby foods.