Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 18:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 136/127/125 Female 66 inches
BF:32/25/20
Progress: 82%
Default Grumpy with a sore throat!

Hi All,
Well it is my 3rd evening of induction and I'm feeling rather grumpy and achey today. I am sure it is the fact that I am now putting absolutely no caffiene in my body that I have this terrible headache, but I also aquired a sore throat in the middle of the nite. I already found out that I should not have taken the Nyquil that I did at 3AM, but I am now clueless as to what I can take for this sore throat. I have had 3 cups of herbal tea today and it is not helping at all. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 18:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (7/28/03)
Stats: 272/218/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 48%

I too have a bad sinus infection, and sore throat. I find it's best to take the medicines in capsule (or pill) form - many of the (sugar-filled) liquid cold meds are available as capsules.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 19:38

I'll try some Alka Seltzer cold plus in capsule. Thats the only one I have on hand, and it is -15 windchills tonite, so I am not going out. I wish I could find something that would soothe my throat though, since honey is not allowed.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 20:30
Phoenixa

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

As for that headache, I went through hell for 5 days on induction cutting my beloved coffee out. Reintroduced it again, headache and instinctive wish to kill my immediate surroundings disappeared magically in an instant. I continued to lose weight and have never, ever had a problem with caffeine on this WOE. You might want to try a cuppa?

Hope you get well from that cold soon. Zinc supplement is recommended to speed up recovery. (As well as garlic, echinacea extract and vitamin C.) And gurgle your throat with lukewarm water with some salt. Classic (Greek?) home remedy.

Last edited by gilibel : Wed, Jan-28-04 at 20:31.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 21:29

Oh Yea!!!!! I forgot all about the warm salt water gargle!!!!!! I swear that is what we grew up with, it works too! Thanks for reminding me
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 22:09
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Grumpy, achey, sore throat... what a time to get the flu or a cold...if it's any consolation, you'll likely get fewer of them on lc than before.....