Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 19:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/270/130 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default A Few Questions

Just a couple of ?'s:

Fat to Protein ratio on Atkins - Is there one?

Diet Pepsi One - Friend or Foe?

Water - (ugh) How much?

No exercise, no change in weight but a change in size - ???

Loqui
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 20:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:

I haven't found any specific ratio in his book. He does mention that you shouldn't be afraid of fat, and that especially during the induction period, your fat ratio should be higher, because fat is much more ketone-producing than protein. I add fat to my diet in order to increase the calories to a sufficient level, but don't get hung up on numbers and ratios. Eat what you're allowed until you're satisfied.

Quote:

He says that most of us should try to stay away from artificial sweeteners, especially aspartame. He lists a few adverse effects that this stuff can cause including headaches, irritibility, seizure disorder, and vision problems. It has also been linked to stalls for some people. Also citric acid in many sodas can cause stalls as well. Some people can tolerate it just fine with no stalls or adverse reactions. It all depends on your individual chemistry.

Quote:
Water - (ugh) How much?

At least 8 full 8 oz glasses of water, or 64 ounces. I drink at least 2 liters, sometimes as much as 3 or 4. I seem to feel MUCH better when I have had plenty of water. It's extremely important for flushing all of those impurities and excess ketones out of your system. If you don't drink enough water, your body will panic and make you retain it. I like Canada Dry Sparkling Water too, it's just plain carbonated water with a splash of flavor. No sweeteners or other nasty things in there.

Quote:

This is very common in this WOL. You are eating a lot of protein. Probably more protein than you're used to eating before. Your body is taking all that wonderful protein and building your muscle tissues. This is accelerated when you exercise, but it happens nonetheless without it. At the same time, you're burning fat for fuel. The same volume of muscle weighs more than the same amount of fat, therefore no change in the scales or even an increase. Your body is just recomposing itself...and this will show up in your measurements or in the way your clothes fit.

Hope this helps!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 06:45

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: A Few Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Loquita
Water - (ugh) How much?

Hi again Loqui. To answer your questions:

The amount of fat and protein will depend on how many calories you're eating; however the percentage is something you can aim for. You need at least 60g of protein a day, minimum. Most of us try to keep our protein to at least 25%, carbs to 5% and the rest is fat (roughly 70%). The actual amounts change daily, but the percentages remain about the same.

Diet anything is YMMV (Your Milage May Vary). Aspartame can cause stalls and cravings in many. It may not for you. It was thought that caffein caused stalls once, but it has been proven that it was not the cafeine but rather the citric acid found in soft drinks tha was the culprit. So there is that to watch out for as well.

Water: 64 oz a day plus 8oz for every 25 lbs you want to lose. It seems like a lot but if you portion it out into a glass here, a glass there, you can get it in. Drinking water is essential when following this WOL.

Size vs Weight. Yes, you're going to get smaller and sometimes it wont register on the scales. Muscle takes up less space than fat. You're losing fat and building muscle. I currently fit into clothing I used to wear when I was 20 lbs lighter. I may weigh more, but there is less of me.

There are many tips and ideas under "Low Carb Tips" up at the top of the page. Check it out.

Cheers,
Nat