Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 09:35

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%
Question Fat question

Posted this in another thread but got no answer so trying again...

Could someone explain this to me? As I understand it, fat cannot be stored without the presence of insulin, so if you eat no carbs or barely any carbs, then insulin is held in check and fat cannot be stored. What if you were to eat an excess amount of fat though but very little protein or carbs? Say 5000 cals of fat? What happens then? A friend recently raised this question and it sort of stumped me hehe. Appreciate any input.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 11:11

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

The body does not metabolise fat very efficiently. When you are in ketosis you excrete a lot of the broken down fat in your urine, sweat etc. This is the 'metabolic advantage' Atkins talks about. It is not an experiment I'd like to try as the body needs protein to rebuild tissues.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 11:33

I'm still wondering what happens if you eat a huge excess amount of fat, not just 200-500 cals over, but more like 2000+ cals over. It can't all be excreted from body, right? What happens to it?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 12:12

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Yes actually it can. The Eades, of Protein Power, wrte about a woman who regularly ate in excess of 7000 calories a day for a year on low carb and didn't gain any weight. Nyah Levi
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 12:22

Wow really? That's fascinating! Going to look more into that story.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 12:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmoke
Yes actually it can. The Eades, of Protein Power, wrte about a woman who regularly ate in excess of 7000 calories a day for a year on low carb and didn't gain any weight. Nyah Levi

Of course, she didn't lose any weight, either, because her dietary fat was more than sufficient to supply her daily needs but the excess beyond what she needed for her daily needs was excreted by the body via the kidneys and intestines.
Once fat is broken down into fatty acids and further into ketones, it cannot be re-made into a fat again and stored...the body has to get rid of it one way or another.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 19:41

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Insulin is a hormone that is always present in the body. Even if we ate 0 carbs because it practically runs the body. Not only does it tell the cells to absorb sugar, It regulates blood pressure, tells the liver to metabolize fat, it regulates the kidneys etc. So insulin is always present.

Reducing carbs/sugar also reduces insulin since carbs causes insulin to rise. reducing insulin results in the production of the hormone, glucagon. Glucagon stimulates the body to rid itself of fat by burning it for energy.It also shuts down the production of cholesterol and helps send it on its way out of circulation. Since extra fluid is not needed to burn fat, glucagon stimulates the kidneys to get rid of extra fluid. Glucogon also encourages the breakdown of excess overgrowth of the smooth muscle in arterial walls. This lowers the incidence of arterial spasms.

So as you can see reducing insulin causes a domino effect.There is more to the story on page 35, 36, 37 of Protein Power by Drs Michael and Mary Eades.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 21:19

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

As I wrote my previous post, I realized that anyone reading this info should conclude that low carb is the logical answer to healthy eating. The more I read the more I learn.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 21:32

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%

Just remember that we are not all alike. Each of us processes food differently. What works for one may not work for us. If you really want to know how your body works, you have to experiement. I would be very reluctant to eat 7000 calories a day even if it was all fat because I have always managed to extract every single calorie and nutrient in any food that I eat. This WOE may give me an small "advantage" but mostly I am eating fewer calories and that is why I am losing.