Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 22:26
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%
Talking New Reading Material.

Sugarbusters was on sale for around 5 bucks at Wal-MArt (New Year's HUGE display of diet books!!)

I've only read about a third, but it's pretty good reading. I like to read up on other plans, and see what's in them as long as I don't have to pay a lot! (I'm curious, not wealthy!)

This begs the question.. why do some people have to bash other plans without reading them? I had NO clue what sugarbusters was, just what I was told.. that it was "like South beach".... so far, I don't really see it!!! Had I not picked up a copy (or borrowed, as I have with a couple other books) I would have been pretty misinformed, but would have likely argued my point anyway, since I trust this person's judgement usually.

Just a thought....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 06:13

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hi, Potato-- In total agreement with you on this. Lots of people do seem to get all wrapped up in their chosen plan, and don't think anything else can possibly work. Although SB might not be exactly right for ME, it was the first book I ever read about controlling carbs, and I learned quite a few things from reading it. I (personally) think it's a sound plan.... We're all a bit different--and, as "they" say--that's what makes the world go round..
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 06:47

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

I agree. SB was one of the first LC books I read. I read loads of books whose plan I don't follow. It's good to learn as much as possible about something that's as big a lifestyle change as this.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 07:00

Plan: adkins
Stats: 160/148.5/130 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 38%

A good friend of mine , who lost all her weight on Atkins, says that sugarbusters is a great diet. Im not sure exactly what it is but most people Ive heard talk about it say its good. Theres several good diets out there. It all depends on what works for you.
Renee
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 07:33
Out of service...

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I agree, the more information you have, the easier it will be to make good choices for yourself. You may find it works best for you to combine different aspects of many different diets. I think that everyone is different... I know many people who have lost and maintained long term on WW or other lf diets. They didn't work for ME, but I would never invalidate what those people have done. There is no one answer for everyone.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 10:49
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I've never read Sugar Busters, but I should. I've read Protein Power, CALP, and DANDR, and I've learned a lot from all of them. Although I list myself as doing Atkins, I incorporate elements of PP and CALP in my food choices. From CALP I've learned that eating too many snacks does not work for me (I try to limit eating to four times a day maximum) and from PP I've learned to be much more conscious about getting enough protein each day.

A friend of mine lost quite a bit of weight on Sugar Busters and is very happy with the plan. As far as I can tell, what she eats is very similar to what I eat, except that she incorpates some whole grains and a little more fruit into her food choices. We are both very focused on keeping our blood sugar levels stable.

I'll add Sugar Busters to my reading list for this year.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 12:43

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

PF, I agree with you. I've read a bunch of other LC books besides Atkins as well. I love learning more about other plans even if I have no intention of switching. Knowledge is power. That's why you'll never see me bash another diet plan, not even low fat LOL. I'm glad there are so many plans out there to choose from.