Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 20:35
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%
Default Question for forum team.

good evening.... I have a question... Tonight, I listed all the foods I ate today, and according to Fitday, I ingested 2151 calories and 16 grms of net carbs. I hear people mentioning 1400-1600 calories a day, but somehow i went over it... Am i screwing myself, or am I doing ok?
Any comments would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 21:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Speaking just as a member, it more depends on what kind of calories they were. The proportions should be about 65% fat, 30% protein and 5 % carbohydrates.

Atkins always said that calories weren't important during Induction. It was more important to get into ketosis. Eventually I think they have to be noticed but not kept low.

You'll find lots of references here to eating 10-12 times your weight in calories. But people differ on whether it's times your current weight or your target weight.

The important thing is not to let your calories go below 1200 per day no matter what. And keep the carbs to at least 20, mostly from vegetables and salad. Then start raising them each week. The body can adjust to a low carb level if you stay on Induction or below, and then you have nowhere to go if you should stall.

Atkins had 30 years of experience with patients that told him that "lower than Induction" levels of carbs didn't help with faster or greater weight loss.

Hope this helps. I don't think that many calories is bad.

Last edited by tofi : Thu, Dec-04-03 at 21:11.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 22:34

Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

I, too, am just a member, but have a bit of information to pass on.

Fitday will give you a table of the calories you burned today. Click on the Activities tab on the lefthand side. In the center is a table of calories burned for the specified period. Unless you enter every single activity you perform, the table will be a rough estimate -- but good enough to give you some insight into how your body uses the calories you ingest.

Basal refers to the calories needed to keep your body alive even if you stayed in bed all day and did absolutely nothing.

Lifestyle refers to the level of activity you specified when you registered. If you sit behind a desk all day this will be a smaller value than if you swung a sledge hammer for eight hours a day.

Activities are the activities you did and entered just like foods eaten.

As long as you keep your calorie intake below what Fitday has calculated as your total calories burned for the day, how can you not lose weight over time?

There are other neat little helpers in Fitday. Go have fun, explore and play around with it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Last edited by AzureMoon : Fri, Dec-05-03 at 09:05.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 07:14
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Personally I think a really high cal day wakes up the body. Going back to your normal levels then gets things going again.

I'll have days wher eI am starving and just can't eat enough. On those days my calories will get alot higher, but after I always seem to go down a pound or so. I think it's just the body's way of making sure it's ok to release that stored fat, and that you will be providing it with enough energy.

As for what other people mention, ignore it. That is what works best for thier body. You need to learn what your body works best at. Keep the calories high enough your metabolism doesn't slow and you have energy loss. I know if I get around 1200 or below for a couple days, my weight loss completely stops.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 08:34

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I'm with LadyBelle. I'll have a day when I'm really hungry, so I eat, but the next few days I'm not eating much. I think it's because my body and my mind are finally talking on a static free line.
Personally I didn't worry about calories except about going too low. That's when your body hangs onto every fat cell.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 09:02
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Thanks everyone for timely responses... It was nagging me, and I certainly appeciate the information.... You gals are a wealth of information... Thank you.
Lynne
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 04:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 284/227/170 Male 72 inches
BF:30%
Progress: 50%

you could try www.mybodycomp.com too. it gives you a pretty accurate BF% and tells you your basal cals burned activites cal burned ect. plus it's free!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 07:46

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I have nothing more to add, except to comment on Silverfang's comment in her signature line about not trusting a skinny cook.

I'd like to add " . . . except if he/she is a low-carber!"