Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 16:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/173/125 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Talking Yeast and Low Carb How-to-Start HELP!!!

Hi,
I'm brand new to this wonderful forum and wonder if someone on this thread could help me?

I've just been diagnosed with a Candida Albican systemic infection. My Dr. put me on Diflucan for 30 days along with a probiotic. Of course I feel horrible.

But along with this regime, I'm also supposed to try Atkins or an Atkins-like (low carb) eating plan. The problem is that I'm confused. I've read almost everything about these diets and sometimes I think less-is-more! Its very confusing in practice.

I also have to cut out dairy, sugar and white flour. I'm finding it extremely hard to cut chocolate (I see that sugar alchol is also a no no). What in the world can I eat?

Atkins induction diet calls for a scant 14 grams of carbs per day for 14 days. A few months ago I did the 14 days and lost 10 lbs. Then, I came to a complete standstill. I think it was because of the yeast.

This time, I can't eat the dairy which is a lot of what's on the Atkins plan at least in the begining.

Help! What the heck CAN I eat?

Thanks to all that respond. I sincerely appreciate it!

manya88
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 16:43

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Cool I'll Try....

I know how you must feel...I had a difficult time discovering what my problem was in losing the weight...I am not an expert on this, but let me tell you how I eat...because it's how I got started killing this stuff in my system.

First of all....Atkins allows up to 20 carbs during Induction...this is stated in the New Diet Revolution diet. It looks like you read the old book; this one is better because it allows some veggies right from the beginning...and believe me, you're going to need them.
Secondly....the section in the newer book says that all cheese and milk products are forbidden on anti-candida regimen EXCEPT fresh mozzarella cheese and cream cheese. I found the addition of those cheeses have been making my anti-candida journey a lot easier.

Here is my typical day's menu:
Breakfast: Egg quiche dish (I make this up ahead of time...in a large pan, and consists of a dozen eggs, 4 cups shredded mozzarella, 16 oz philly or organic valley cream cheese (less carb), chopped green onion and chopped jalapeno pepper (fresh...NOT CANNED!). I've also used red/orange italian or bell peppers in place of the jalapenos, but I missed the "kick" in the morning! ... Olive oil in the pan.....this dish makes six generous servings, and I put them in individual containers in the fridge, then reheat in microwave every morning. Carb content is probably 4 or 5 carbs max), and I usually have a couple cups of black coffee...counting one or two carbs.

Lunch: Salad with 2 or 3 cups veggies, usually romaine lettuce & mild peppers, or cucumber & mild peppers...to which I add a can or two of tuna or chicken or salad shrimp....and a salad dressing (I alternate between Drew's Kalamata Olive & Caper and Smoked Tomato) plus about one-sixteenth tsp of white stevia extract (I like it sweeter, and it's the only sweetener allowed on anti-candida). I know we're not supposed to eat anything with vinegar...but some anti-candida regimens allow cider vinegar in moderation....and I tried to make homemade mayo and salad dressing with lemon juice instead, and I had a difficult time gagging the stuff down...and didn't last two days before re-adding the vinegar. I seem to be okay with it. I usually drink a couple 16 oz bottles of Talking Rain, a sparkling water with fruit essence....and counts like water here. I'm usually not hungry for much else at this time, but if I am...I can grab a handful of spicy pork rinds...it makes me drink more water!!

Dinner: A typical meal would be fresh fish, turkey, or chicken (I like chicken hearts...) tossed into a pan with a few tablespoons of a non-hydrogenated oil spread or a can of chicken broth (check the carbs...) and about a cup of chopped fresh zucchini or whatever legal fresh veggie I have on hand...season it to my liking (no sugar of course ) and cook everything together...if the broth is too thin for me, I grab a can of soy protein powder (It's straight protein, no flavoring...) and add a scoop or two...mix and it thickens just fine. It makes a great stew and I'm really satisfied.

Snacktime? Maybe...but I'm usually never hungry enough for one. I just drink lots of water and Talking Rain....take my supplements for this candida thing....endure that infernal "dieoff" reaction....and try to keep myself away from the molds and mildews this time of year.

Now...this is how I do it. You might have different ideas...other people might have different suggestions. But...on this regimen...I have lost weight three weeks in a row...and I wasn't hardly losing anything my first weeks on Induction...It's being relatively successful for me. And...I'm staying well under the 20 carbs allowed.

Good luck to you...I hope this helps......
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 16:53

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

P.S.

If you want my egg dish recipe in its entirety....check this thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=135068

My second reply here has the updated version...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 20:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/173/125 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Talking THANK YOU! DerBlumers

Hi,
thank you so much for your well-written and in-depth response. I really appreciate it. Any other tips you can add would be greatly appreciated.

I should probably get the new Atkins book.

manya88