Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 18:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins start over 7/23/2003
Stats: 174/166/140 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default stress/anxiety and overeating

Does anyone else tend to overeat when they're stressing about meeting a deadline or other situations that result in feelings of anxiety??

Whenever I have a huge exam coming up (its midterms week right now ) or have a big deadline for a project, I get anxious, and use food for comfort. Its upsetting because I feel like I have no control over myself. Like I have this big exam tomorrow and after a good day (foodwise) I came home and just ate and ate and ate.....I'm soooo full, I know I'm eating waaaaaaay too many calories amd I feel like a cow .

What kind of things can I do to prevent this from happening? This is my 5th semester in college and its something I've struggled with from the beginning, although now its atkins food I'm eating too much of.

any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 18:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/250.5/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 35%

One of the best ways to deal with stress is to prevent it. For a student, that might mean studying at a regular, steady rate, rather than trying cram just before an exam, or starting a term paper early in the term rather than waiting to the last minute. I'm not saying you are procrastinating, just giving a few examples of things that cause stress in students' lives. Take a look at your habits and see if there isn't a way you can reduce the stress in your life.

You also need to train yourself to recognize that food is not comfort because it makes you feel as though you have no control. Easy to say, harder to do.

Best of luck.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 18:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

You have to find a new way of dealing with stress. Your old way is just not working for you, since you are trading one stress for another.
Try exercise, for instance. Or meditation. Maybe your stress level about tests can be reduced by better studying methods.

Here's how I maintained a good grade average:

I tried to stay organized and ahead of things. If I had a paper due in a month, I would start as soon as I heard about it, even if it was only setting up the document in my computer and putting my name on it!

For tough subjects, I would create a Wall of Learning. They have big sheets of poster paper on a pad with Post-it stickum on the backs. I would stick them up on my bedroom wall and with a fistful of different colored sharpies, I would transfer all my notes to the wall. It was always there, I was always looking at it, and just transferring it to the wall and figuring out the best way to organize it would help get the material into my head.

Use memory tricks. You can pick the first letters of the list and make your own acronymns. Make up your own songs using the material you want to learn. These tricks will stick in your head when you need them.

And remember, get enough sleep and the proper food (not tons of carbs that make you sleepy and dim!) You need to take care of yourself and be your best, and the rest will be much easier to take care of.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 18:57

Stats: 170/167/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi Merrymash,
I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'm in my senior year of college and eating out of anxiety is one of those things that I've become a little too good at over the years. But I'm getting over it.

I find that a lot of times I eat when I'm anxious just to expend nervous energy. Of course, giving my body fuel only agitates me more, so the cycle goes 'round again, and I just feel gross on top of being nervous or anxious or whatever.

SO...(here comes the advice)...it often helps me just to get up and move - outside if the weather is nice, in my room if it's not. I put on some of my favorite music and walk, dance... do whatever my body and brain need to do to relax. Sometimes it takes a few minutes, sometimes I end up walking three miles. Regardless, you'll be amazed at how much better you feel.

And don't worry about making yourself too tired to study - I used to put in my best homework hours after a two hour ballet class. (Man, I wish I hadn't quit that in high school. Maybe I'd still have a dancer's body!)
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 19:16

Stats: 170/167/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:

I just thought of one last thing... a lesson I learned while doing research with a professor this summer, but it applies equally well to the school year.

When work piles up, it sometimes feels like all I do during the week is eat, sleep, and do homework. For five days out of the week, eating feels like my only pleasure/distraction from work, and for that reason it is an even greater lure than it would normally be.

So I make sure that I take at least fifteen or thirty minutes each day to do something that is purely pleasurable - talking to my best friend (about anything but school), vegging in front of the TV, reading a "fun" book, giving myself a pedicure, whatever. Just as long as it is utter bliss!

And that way, food stays (in my mind) as it was meant to be - sustenance. Purely sustenance.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 19:22
Registered Member

Plan: atkins start over 7/23/2003
Stats: 174/166/140 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Great advice guys! NickFender, you're right, I AM quite the procrastinator and despite the fact that I work well (really well) under pressure/last minute, i'm going to get way too burnt out if I keep going like this...

adkpam, the wall of learning sounds pretty cool, maybe I'll give it a try for the next exam. And getting enough sleep has also been an issue for me, although its been much better since I've moved back home from the campus, where everyone was out and walking around at 3 am, having their pizza breaks...ugh

Sares, I def. will try dancing around or taking a walk next time. I just feel so gross and full right now. I'll have to remind myself of how I feel right now next time i'm faced with stress!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 21:18
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

You know, I read an article about us.."the procrastinators" I believe it was in Psychology Today, that says we only THINK we work better under pressure, that in reality, our end product is not as good.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 00:51
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

I don't know Tater-so far I'm at the top of my class and am a horrible paper procrastinator! My study buddy gets so mad because she starts all her papers early-and usually has them done at least a week before it's due. I start my 10 page or less papers about three days before deadline and get top marks-while she always comes in lower (I start longer papers 1-2 weeks out). To be fair tho, I listen in class, take good notes, think it out prior to typing, and am able to use info up to the deadline in my papers because I do start later. I work myself up with stress, get cranky, drink a lot of caffeine, clean the house and then can finally set to work. Somehow the house can be a pit until I have to work on a paper-then I get the compulsion to clean before I type. It's an awful cycle I can't seem to break. I know you are reading Dr. Phil's book. Have you noticed how his principles fit in so well with other aspects of your life? My study habits and finances in particular are in need of the same help!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 06:05

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%

I got a copy of Fitness magazine this month and it was one of the best things I have read this whole time on Atkins. So much good advice in there and success stories on losing that it really gave me some perspective that I needed. There were a few articles on weight loss problems and the success stories also had some advice.
They had a piece by someone on their successful loss that they maintained and it spoke to binging or cravings and advice on how to get away when emotional eating takes over. All kinds of things might work including-getting out of the house and going for a walk, getting on the phone with someone to distract you by talking to someone and telling them whats going on. Drinking water. And big time self reflection, like what is really going on inside me and will food help me with this situation? Asking those questions seemed to be the way to control the eating. I think that anything you can do to cope with stress will help too, like finding out how you relieve it, it may actually be best to work in a workout routine that gets your brain occupied and gets your mood elevated naturally.