Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 15:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/182/160 Male 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default A dumb man's questions

Hi, everyone suggests measuring with a tape measure. I know this is a dumb question, but I was wondering how do you measure yourself with a tape? How many places do you measure? Do you try to hold your breath or puff yourself out the exact same way every time? Thanks.

Dumb question number 2: how can NOT drinking water contribute to a stall? Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 15:36

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

OK first off, there's no such thing as a dumb question.

Second, as for measuring, for the most part you can measure yourself fairly easily with an inexpensive tape measure, which can be bought at any fabric area in department stores (ask if yu can't find it) and most pharmacies. You want to make sure the tape is snug, but not tight, Measure at your "natural" waist....which should be the narrowest part of your torso....but for many of us is hard to find. Use your belt line if there are any questions. Your chest should be under the arms, again at the fullest point. Hips the same....the widest point. The main thing is to measure in the same place each time. The recomendations are usually waist, chest and hips.....but a lot of people measure thighs, calves, upper arm (can be a bit tricky alone!). It's up to you.....but the important thing is to measure in as nearly the same place as possible. You should be standing relaxed when you measure, "puffing out" gives false readings.

As for question number two, I'll let someone more knowlegale answer that one....all I know is the more I drink the faster and more consistently I loose, regardless of the diet I'm on. I'm sure someone can give a more scientific answer than I can!

Looks like you're doing well! You're on ongoing weight loss phase now?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 16:01

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

Wardrobe
As I understand it the body holds onto whatever it senses is in short supply. If it isn't getting enough water it will retain water.

Also, as you lose fat on LC your fat cells will tend to store water in them so that they can retain their shape and stay large. Drinking enough water will help the body signal that there is plenty of water in the system and the fat cells will release the water they hold onto. Water has weight and any retained or stored water will show on the scale even if there is fat loss occurring.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 18:45

Plan: Straight Keto
Stats: 315/267/180 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 36%

The less water you drink, the more it holds on to, because the body definitely NEEDS that water, and will do what it can to hold on to what it's got (including making you dehydrated, in the name of saving water for your body to use. Ironic, huh ?). It works similiarly with food. Don't eat enough and the body thinks you're starving, slows down your metabolism and voila, no weight loss even though you're constantly hungry.

Since starting this WOE I always thought I was drinking enough water, more or less, then one day I drank at least a gallon of it. I was running to the bathroom all the time, and when I wasn't there I'd be drinking because I was thirsty (dry mouth etc) or running to fill my water bottle. Almost craving it, the way eating one potato chip will lead you to eat the whole bag, or 3 cookies makes you want the whole row of oreos (or more).

That's when I realized "This is how much water I should be drinking every day".

As for measuring, I use a regular metal stanley retractable tape measure (tho I've only measured my stomach), and it seems to do fine. I don't think it would matter much if you held your breath, or expelled it all first, so long as you're doing it the same way every time. Consistancy rules in things like this.

Hope this helps,
Jeff
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 19:00
Registered Member

Stats: 200/182/160 Male 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 45%

Dear folks,

I am so happy that I actually understood the answers. I now have my tape, I now have my water, and the rest shall be weight loss history . . .

Thanks for the responses!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 18:38

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

You also might want to measure your neck-just try to do all your measuring consistently. I measure once a week when I do my official weigh-in. Get ready to visit the bathroom a lot initially but keep drinking. As Cindy Sue said--THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION. Here--everyone asks about a lot of different things. Good luck!! Alice
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 18:48

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Read "The Zone" before Atkins and Dr. Sears said to go 7" down from your natural waistline to take your hip measurement because it is where your hips would be the fullest and is where "hips" are when you get close to your normal body size. Was taught the same thing in home ec in high school when learning how to use a sewing pattern. Maybe guys who have been measured for suits would have a different answer.

Last edited by FromVA : Mon, Sep-29-03 at 18:49.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 18:54

Stats: 180/140/130 Female 5'7
BF:22.7%(about)
Progress: 80%

Not everyone falls into the 7'' range, your natural waist lines is when you bend to the side were the crease is! I am VERY high waisted 7" down is much too far!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 18:59

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Your body always needs the water, but the chemical reason that lack of water will stall the weight loss is that the body NEEDS the water to burn the fat, just the way your car doesn't go anywhere when it is out of gas.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 19:10

BF:
Angry

Meghan:

Of course...you are absolutely right now that I think about it. I never questioned the 7" rule because I have a long torso and am long-waisted and the 7"s was just right for me. Thanks for posting a correction.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 06:44

Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default How to measure at www.mybodycomp.com

Wardrobe, website www.mybodycomp.com will show you where and how to measure your body. You can make new profiles at different times in your life and compare your progress. It is almost has handy as www.fitday.com ! (Fitday is used to track your food intake, activities etc. It also has reports and and a journal section, too.) Both of these sites require registration but both are free so the hassle factor is very low.

Hope this helps.
Carol

Last edited by AzureMoon : Wed, Oct-01-03 at 06:52.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 06:53

BF:

Thanks! I had no idea there was such a thing. Will check it out right away.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 07:33

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

on the water question:

The body always trys to compensate for what is happening (homeostatis.)

The hormone ADH (antidiuretic hormone) is released when ever the body senses their is not enough water. This hormone works on the kidneys to slow down the excretion of water.

So, not enough blood volume (which includes water), will signal release of ADH and water release will slow down...

Bad: because you need to flush out unused ketones and other by by-products of metabolism.

solution: drink at least 64 oz of water per day...

That was it in a nutshell... theres more info about it... but I believe that should suffice for now...

HTH,
Korry
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 07:34

BTW...

There is no dumb questions!!

We learn something new everyday!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 07:35

meant to say: There ARE no dumb questions!!

LOL,
Korry