Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 10:08
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/181.5/175 Male 5 7
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default I've gained weight GRRRRRR

I went out and bought a scale today because I thought I could handle seeing the numbers on a regular basis instead of once every week, sort of as a reward to myself for hitting the 250's and I get on my Brand new digital scale and pray that it's lying to me! I have gained about 5 lbs!!!!!!! I have not cheated, or changed anything for that matter. This really sucks. I am really feeling down right now! this is the first time since I've started this wol that I've gotten on the scale and saw a bigger number then the last time I weighted in. now I weight at 9 am and then again a few min ago and there was a 2 lb difference, but the first time was on pavement and the second on a wooden floor. I think I might have to get rid of the scale because I can see the possibility to become obsessive.

did I mention this sucks?
just making sure
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 10:12
~version 2.0~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

Hey,

I do know that weight will fluctuate from day to day.. and hour to hour..
so don't get too down... there is no way that you gained 5lbs. since you weighed last ... unless you went off the plan... which you said you did not..

Don't worry about it... maybe the scale is off from the one you were weighing on??

Keep up the good work... and don't get frustrated over the scale... Why don't you put it away and weigh yourself 2 times a week... so you don't get addicted.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 10:21
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hey, I get your *grrrrrrrrr* but listen to this:

weight fluctuations can be due to water retention, too much salty foods, constipation or drinking too little water. They sometimes are a sign of big weight loss approaching.
Better take measurements, they don't lie like scales do. You want to get thinner, right? Get the measuring tape, see how your clothes fit.

Don't let the scale discourage you, you're doing great!!!!

Take care

Alina
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 10:22

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

When you weighed yourself before buying the new scale...what scale did you use? Scales can differ 5+ lbs - - my doctor's scale, my upstairs bathroom scale, CURVES's sclae and my Tanita scale all give me different readings. You may have not actually gained 5 lbs if you base the new reading on the old scale's previous number.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 10:46

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I agree with Yvonne, scales are all over the scale (hehe)..
When I went to buy a scale I put 4 digital scales on the floor and tested them all.. they were all different! a home scale is more to compare your weight from weigh in to weigh in, and so much for an absolute accurate weight. I weigh myself both at home and at the gym, and the 2 scales are 7 pounds off.. But they are 7 lb off consistently..

So what is important is how much weight you are losing, and not so much ho much do you actually weigh...

do don't despair, you may be doing just fine and have not gained weight. Start keeping a record from you new scale, and you'll see progress...
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 11:26

Stats: 299/249/165 Female 71"
BF:fat, what fat? LOL
Progress: 37%

I was using one of those "analog scales" with the dial that spins and eventually stops...I decided to invest in a digital scale and I had to change my start weight by 4 pounds. Don't worry I'm sure it's the scale!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 09:38
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/181.5/175 Male 5 7
BF:
Progress: 95%

thanks guys, I read all the replies and it feels like you were all talking me down from a ledge. I wieghed just about on the hour for the next few hours yesterday and everytime I did I got a number that was a little lower and a little lower (isn't that wierd?) anyway I was still about 2lbs high when I felt my pockets and realized I had about 4 bucks in change, took my pants off and boom, there I was, the first time since I started this diet that I have been happy to break even :0)
To make matters worse I awake this morning with a little gift left from the woooosh fairy, she took about 4lbs from me
YAY
thanks for the suport
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 13:29

Stats: 220/193/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Big Daddi: those digital scales calibrate themselves everytime they're moved! Moral of story: put the scale in one spot, weight in once a week and I'll bet you'll be happier!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 13:55

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

jeans are heavy silly!

You're doing fine! I hate when mine says 4 bs more too but I always know it's not realy right and I check again the next day and usually all is well...