Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 14:00

Plan: Atkins - Schwarzbein
Stats: 345/345/210 Male 6' 2"
BF:44
Progress: 0%
Default Nagging question

Hello,

I've been doing the real Atkins now for a couple of weeks. I've lost maybe 5-6 pounds, and am examining the entire weight loss process to gauge my progress.

First, I didn't do induction strictly. I wanted to experiement with carb levels. I scraped the CCL a couple of times, and came out of ketosis fully for one day, (cheddar cheese balls have lots of sugar.) I've been trying to understand what I can eat and still remain in ketosis. Here's my main question:

If you are in Ketosis, (funny taste in the mouth, Ketostix, smelly urine,) are you burning fat cells, or can your body be producing ketones from the fat you're eating? If you're definitely in ketosis, are you burning fat, or could something else be producing the effect?

The reason I ask is because although I'd like to lose weight quickly, the reality is that if this is going to be a WOL, then I shouldn't obsess with the speed of losing. However, if you can be in ketosis and still not lose, then I need to add something else. (Suppliments, workouts, etc.)

I know Atkins recommends both, and I have been increasing both, but I still don't want to invest a lot of effort if I'm not going to see any progress. I don't mind losing 10 pounds a month for a year. Just as long as the progress is sure, depending on Ketosis.

Let me know your comments. Please, accurate advice only. Personal testimonies can be really confusing regarding straight scientific issues. I've tried to look up this question but I can't find any post that mentions it specifically.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 14:20
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Ketosis it self the the process of your body durning fat for a fuel. That can mean your body fat or fats you have eaten.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 14:21

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Okay, I'm going to try to answer your questions accurately to the best of my knowledge.

According to studies it is not possible to be in ketosis (using ketones for fuel) but not in lipolysis (burning body fat). In fact, the term is actually a connected word ketosis/lipolysis. They are interconnected.

On the other hand, it is possible to NOT be in ketosis, but regulate insulin releases enough to stabalize blood sugar enough to lose weight. Many low-carbohydrate programs don't even recommend ketosis, but those following them lose weight due to this stabalization and insulin control.

Yes, your body may produce ketones from dietary fat. Some people have reported false positives on ketostix from this.

Exercise is always good and I have not heard a lot of good anecdotal evidence about supplements that speed weight loss. Most people on Atkins take supplements for health reasons.

My question is: Even if you are making this a WOL and don't care necessarily on the rate of loss... why not follow the Atkins plan as written, working up from induction through the four stages? Doing it as Dr. Atkins advised would leave out any questions as to why it isn't working. This plan as written almost always works very well for people who follow it correctly.

I hope that answers your questions (if vaguely). I wish you luck!

Last edited by Skamito : Thu, Jul-31-03 at 14:28. Reason: Edited for typos!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 14:24

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

One more thing... vigorous exercise also produces ketones, so if you test for ketosis right after exercise you may get a false positive.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 14:26

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

OK, so you want to lose 125 pounds. The general average is, while doing Atkins by the book, is 10% of the weight in the first 2 weeks and 5% every month after that. So, if you follow the plan correctly, you would lose 12.5 pounds in the first 2 weeks and 6.25 pounds per month after that. You might want to revise your 10 pound per month plan.