Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 18:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/178/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default How many eggs are healthy?

So I know eggs are a good food for this diet, but how many and how often does Dr. Atkins say is healthy? I've read most of the book a few years back, but our copy is on its way here (we moved to Australia and our household goods are on a boat over here) and the bookstores here were all sold out the other day. We're going into town today to see if they have any copies yet.

I eat eggs for breakfast every morning (although that is getting a little boring...I've found some good recipes here that I'll be trying soon). I read someone said that Atkins says you shouldn't eat bacon and eggs every morning. Is that mostly the bacon or should eggs be limited as well?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 18:20

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

I eat AT LEAST 21 eggs a week. Enjoy em, they are good.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 18:38

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanbo
So I know eggs are a good food for this diet, but how many and how often does Dr. Atkins say is healthy?
They're all healthy, carissanbo Each and every one of them is good for you. I'd say limit how many you eat based on how hungry you are. I usually stop at 3, especially if I'm having sausage w/ them! FYI, eggs are a very good source of vitamin E and selenium - actually, egg yolk are.

Quote:
I read someone said that Atkins says you shouldn't eat bacon and eggs every morning. Is that mostly the bacon or should eggs be limited as well?

He doesn't say that, carissanbo. Some people are more sensitive to additives in some types of bacon or sausage, but as a food, they are not on the 'limited' list.

When your book arrives you'll be able to double check questions like this - in the meantime www.atkinscenter.com has lots of information on allowable food, rules of Induction and the like.

Cheers,
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 20:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I don't remember reading anything about eggs being limited. I have three eggs most every morning with 2 oz of sausage. I put hard boiled eggs on my salad and I make deviled eggs. I guess you could say I like eggs. You could change your breakfast with a Mock Danish. They are yummy.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 01:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 330/276/150 Female 5' 1/2
BF:WAY TOO MUCH!!!
Progress: 30%

There was a man in an example who had lived into a good old age and was living in a nursing home when his diet was observed. I cannot remember all the details but the man consumed an enormous number of eggs each day...I think it was 20. He was perfectly fine and claimed this had been his diet most or all of his life.The eggs were not all he ate but it was very similar in content to an OWL. I'm not sure which book it was in but someone else might remember right where it was at so you could read it. My memory still stinks but this part of the story really stuck with me and calmed my fears about the eggs.
I'll keep looking till I find the whole story if no one else posts about it.
Pat
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:19
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

My grandfather loved eggs and had them almost every day. When all those studies came out about cholesterol he went ahead and cut back on them and started using a better then eggs thing. He was hospitalized for something and had to stay for around a week I think. When he came home he announced the hospital had served him eggs everyday for breakfast, and if it was good enough for them it was darn well good enough for him. He went back to having eggs every morning

On a seperate note, after my grandmother had died we went to visit him later that week. He was beeming with pride and announced that morning he had made his own eggs for breakfast without burnign them or anything. It's hard to imagine, but after over 50 years of marrige and having someone cookingf or you at all times, small things like that are such habit you really have to relearn how to live your life.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:55

Plan: Atkins / Protein Power
Stats: 215/152/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 97%

I eat anywhere from 4-10 egg yolks a day (sometimes w/the whites, sometimes w/o). I just love them and I can't see any reason to cut back. My cholesterol numbers have vastly improved on Atkins and were amazing last I had them checked. I am going to have them checked again when I hit goal weight in about a month and will let you know if they are still so good.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 10:04

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I eat about 20 eggs per week and I really enjoy them and I am also trying different yummy recipes.