Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 20:52

Plan: 6 week body makeover
Stats: 225/185/190 Male 5.8
BF:
Progress: 114%
Default Yikes!! I have done it now (medications)

Ummm well I will tell you have been on medication for over a year to battle and control my anxiety disorder, It has been working really well and given me back my life.. However, since about tuesday I have been feeling my anxiety returning, even though I have been regular as usual with my medications its getting worse. I know some anti depressants store themselves in your body fat and are time released. Do you think because I have sorta de-toxed myself during this induction that my medications are simply going right through me and not sticking around?

Ofcourse the one possible thing in this world that can stop me from dieting has come out to get me. Anxiety wins everytime.

It's a long weekend here and I couldnt get my Dr today so I will have to wait till tuesday.

I take the following for anyone who is wonderring

0.5mg Xanax 3xday
30 mgs of Celexa, 20 in afternoon, 10 at bed.
40mgs Propanol, 20 morning, 20 dinner.

Thanks for any advice. I sure need some!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 00:13

BF:

this is what someone wrote back to me in a anxiety newsgroup about why my anxiety has gotten worse.. What do you think??

>>>>>this diet puts one into ketosis which can increase anxiety levels since your blood sugar levels drop significantly and your blood starts to contain ketones or solvent like long alcohol like glycol chains that resemble acetone-it drops weight by forcing your body into a very unstable metabloic crisis-it is a bogus
attempt at shedding weight-as you go back to a regular diet of moderation you will start to regain weight-This diet doesn't change your bodies metabolism or pharmacokinetics of drugs it just makes you feel lousy. Weight wachers-LA weight loss and such are much more sound and safer-2lbs per week is the
goal-you are taxing your body and you feel it.
LM
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 00:32
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Blondie,

This person drops too many intelligent sounding words, for someone who can't write! I'm impressed

Sounds like he/she is implying if you follow weight-watchers (sound plan my you know what!) and then quit, your weight will remain the same, and no lbs will be re-gained! Sure!

I'm no expert in anxiety, but until we find one, I'll just offer this: Every addiction, including carb addiction, will cause withdrawl symptoms in the first stages of detox. Most of us are carb addicts, and most of us go through the withdrawals.

So if this poor ignorant soul thinks high blood sugar is the best way to lose weight and prevent anxiety, good for him/her. There are people who hold respectable opinions against low-carbing, I respect them and their views, but this guy is dangerously funny, since he/she manages to memorize multi-syllable words they don't understand!

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 03:31

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default weight watchers

At every meeting at weight watcher I have been to, the main topic of conversation is. ""This is a lifestyle change" in other words, you must remain a member for LIFE in order to lose or maintain your weight!
I really hated that. I am 60 pounds heavier than the day I walked into my first WW meeting. My friend has been going for 7 years and is 12 pounds lighter! They continually dropped my points and I could not drop the weight, there was always some excuse.
Atkins is the first diet that I have lost weight!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 07:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up Right On Wa'il

Quote:
Originally posted by tamarian
This person drops too many intelligent sounding words, for someone who can't write! I'm impressed
**LOL** I read that person's blurb over and over till my eyeballs glazed ... it makes no sense whatsoever. And definitely unresearched, unfounded and without any factual substance at all. They'd make a great Televangelist!!! ..

Anxiety and depression are two mood disorders with very similar physiological & neurochemical imbalances. Probably more than blood sugar itself .... INSULIN has a huge effect on the levels and responses of these chemicals and hormones. Lowcarbing won't be a total cure for anxiety, but it will definitely help keep insulin levels under control.

What happens, as you know, when you eat carbs your blood sugar goes up and insulin is dumped into the bloodstream to deal with it. Rising insulin levels also trigger the adrenal gland to produce adrenalin, cortisol and other hormones ... since it perceives some kind of "emergency" or threat, due to the surge of insulin. The cortisol and adrenalin triggers a whole cascade of hormones and neurochemicals .. dopamine, noradrenalin, histamine .. etc .... revving up the body .. the heart speeds up, blood vessels dilate, flushed face, sweating, etc .. for most people, the body copes and adapts, and things settle down. For some of us, the gate-keeper in the brain doesn't respond properly, and we stay in this anxious, ready-for-the-threat-that-isn't-there state... .. For others, the response is opposite, and levels of neurochemicals drop, for example serotonin.

In Protein Power Lifeplan, the Drs. Eades have some interesting things to say about the role of CHOLESTEROL in depression and anxiety disorders (pp 262 - 264). Briefly, researchers have discovered that depriving their subjects of dietary fat - in particular dietary cholesterol - resulted in changes in mood and disposition that included depression, withdrawal and aggressive behaviour.... An examination of the biochemistry of cholesterol makes at least one reason for these findings clear: cholesterol acts in the brain to block the re-uptake of the mood-enhancing neurochemical serotonin. This is precisely the action of the class of anti-depressants such as Prozac ... the SRI's, serotonin-reuptake inhibitors.

Dietary cholesterol - that which you get from the foods you eat - does not affect the body the same way as the cholesterol your body makes itself. When your liver has to make its own cholesterol (because of a lowFAT, low cholesterol diet), it's usually of the LDL variety (the so-called "bad" cholesterol) and also produces more triglycerides as well. When you consume sufficient cholesterol from your foods, the liver doesn't have to produce this extra cholesterol and blood fat. This is a very simplistic explanation, I'm definitely not an expert .. but the gist of it is .... get your cholesterol from your food - eggs, dairy, meats ... and a healthy dose of omega-fats from vegetable and nut oils, and fatty fish .... Your brain and YOU will be much happier, and your liver won't have to produce the artery clogging LDL and triglycerides.

On the subject of ketones, they are an efficient fuel and energy source for the brain, muscles and organs of the body. There are only a few tissues that must have glucose ... which the liver can manufacture quite nicely from protein. The human body is designed to function very well for long periods of time using ketones as fuel.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 08:58

BF:

Thanks you guys and gals I really needed to hear some back up, Doreen especially, I appreciate the big explanation.. It does make sense because with me its a adrenaline problem forsure.. Even my mom used to comment on how I could never sit still. always tapping my foot, if I was standing I was always swaying back and forth etc. Yesterday when i was feeling the most anxious I found myself tapping my foot like crazy... I have not done this for a long time.. and when anxiety creeps in this is one of the things i have noticed that starts. I seem to subconsciously start doing something to burn off the adrenaline. I think your absolutely right and I have just been flooded with adrenaline. Next time I feel it coming I am going for a bike ride.. uphill... and burn it all off!!

Thank you so much.. I was really starting to get worried.. and yes its obvious this person is anti atkins..

Hugs to you all for coming to my aid!

Shannon
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 10:12
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Very interesting!

When I did the low-fad thing, I became extremely nervous, touchy and skittery shortly after starting. I even found it nerve wracking to drive. Now I can see that it was the great quantities of brown rice, whole grain muesli and truckloads of fruit that played havoc with my already messy metabolism. Oh yes, a balanced diet...

This did not happen when I started LC. I had severe carb withdrawal, but at least I wasn't afraid of driving!

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 13:22
Pending Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 186/150/135
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Anxiety

Shannon, know where you're coming from. Been on the anxiety attack roller coaster myself for a few years, a few years back. Nasty feeling, isn't it...? (I'm another one who can hardly sit still for five minutes.)

I tell you what, I find I'm MUCH calmer on this eating plan. My moods are balanced, I don't get edgy, not as stressed, etc. Six weeks and I feel great.

Have you tried deep breathing when you feel the anxiety creeping up...? Therapist talk me the trick. And it still continues to save me when I feel it nudging. And if all else fails, there's my handy little pills....!

Hang in there, sweetie!

Shirley
Florida
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 18:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 137/132/122
BF:
Progress: 33%
Question Celexa

Blondie:
I am on Celexa as well - 20mg/day. It's been a year for me and I CANNOT believe the difference it makes in my life. I was wondering about the effects with this diet b/c Atkins mentions that anti-depressants MAY interfer w/the wt. loss progress.

You mentioned the anxiety group - what site is that on? You can PM me...THANKS!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 19:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
Very interesting!

but at least I wasn't afraid of driving!

Karen

Hi Karen thanks for the info.. and I can't believe I lived in Coquitlam, BC for 10 years, and move to Winnipeg and start this diet when I could just go to Stanley Park and have you cook for me!! ARGH!!! I had no idea you were a chef although I wondered about all your tastey dishes! Wow just my luck! Congradulations on all your success!! I just happened to read all your info! Way to go!

As for the driving just a quick tip.. I used to have same problem.. when your driving and start to feel wierd.. take notice of hard your actually gripping the steering wheel or tensing one of the muscles in your arms or chest... Once I was able to recognize what I was tensing up, which was my hands on the wheel, I was able to be pro-active and loosen the grip and deep breathe until your relaxed... it works... I used to have a hard time driving.. so if it happens again your equiped with some good self tactics.

Hugs,
Shannon
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 20:01

BF:
Default Re: Anxiety

Quote:
Originally posted by ShirleyL
Shannon,
Have you tried deep breathing when you feel the anxiety creeping up...? Therapist talk me the trick. And it still continues to save me when I feel it nudging. And if all else fails, there's my handy little pills....!

Shirley
Florida

HI Shirley! Yes this thing is a nightmare sometimes.. I learned the breathing at a cognitive behavior class and yes it works. I find the best thing to do is either get up and find something to distract myself with or if it gets really bad.. to look in a mirror and see that I am not going out of my mind like my mind imagines me to be!

Hugs,
Shannon